AW in September because of WWDC?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Freida, Mar 30, 2016.

1. Freida macrumors 65816

Hello guys,

I'm tempted to buy the AW but I don't want to first generation especially considering the complaints (speed etc.). The last even dropped the price and introduced new bands - all good here.
    It got me thinking though. Is Apple moving the launch to september along with iPhones?
    My thinking is this: WWDC always shows new iOS which is then given to developers to test and polish. Then september comes and new iPhones roll out with already new iOS. So is it safe to assume that it is what Apple is going to do now? After all, AW works directly with the iPhone and WWDC will preview new iOS for AW so it all makes sense, right?

Apart from speed, what else can we expect (no GPS please as that is a battery killer)? For me I would love to have more sensors and more health tracking benefits. Although Tim Cook said that he won't do sensors due to FDA silliness.

What do you think on both accounts, please?

2. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Cook has never said the :apple:Watch won't have more sensors. The FDA has taken a 'hands off' approach to most consumer related, non invasive health monitoring.

http://www.macrumors.com/2015/03/30/fda-hands-off-approach-apple-watch/

Also fall is the best time to launch new devices because it takes advantage of the holiday session and pads Apple's most important 1st quarter.

3. JayLenochiniMac, Mar 30, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2016

JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

AW2 will still be slow with some 3rd party apps unless developers step it up and Apple improves the software. It actually has little to do with the hardware because Apple's own apps are fast. AW1 will be able to run wOS 3.0 so you'll be able to reap the improvements if you decide to buy now.

Don't necessarily count on longer battery life if the iPhone is any indication. The new iteration sometimes takes a dive in battery life depending on the specs (the iPhone 3G being the most notable example due to GPS).

4. MrLoL macrumors 6502

MrLoL

That's the thing, I don't see what would be updated apart from design or speed?

5. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

I really don't want GPS. I think that is not a good idea as it would bring too many sacrifices (battery, space etc.).
    I want more sensors and faster CPU so its future proof when the developers will properly take advantage of the AW.

:)

6. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

It's coming out in September. No GPS, no new sensors, just a little thinner.

And if it doesn't, I'll just claim it was "delayed". ;-p

7. davideotape macrumors 6502

id like to see legit water resistance to the point where its very clear that swimming/shower wouldnt damage it or void standard AppleCare

that seems like the main necessary feature, everything else is nice to have

8. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Design is probably going to be updated with 3rd generation but we may see. iPad 2 was changed too and so was iPhone 3G so will be interesting to see.
    Speed is actually the main thing. IF there is more powerful chip it means that you will keep the watch for longer (most likely) as it won't get slow and obsolete.
    Thinking that I've managed to wait this long I think I will just wait a little longer and buy in september. I hope Apple will make me happy. :)

It will be almost 2 years since the announcement so they better have something worth it. :D

9. pmau macrumors 65816

I don't really think Apple needs to rush the watch update.

Apps have not been gaining momentum and the other smartwatches have not been revolutionary either.
    In my opinion it will be released next March, not in September.

Even if the watch would be faster, the usability will always be limited.
    Screen size and memory can not make this another phone.

I also do not believe in GPS/GSM/Data on the watch itself.
    For maps you would need the routing, that needs CPU and RAM.
    If you have a phone paired with the watch, there's really no need to duplicate all these functions.

I think Apple is happy having the watch as a companion device.
    Other than a little more RAM and a better CPU/GPU package, I would not expect wonders.

Stable WiFi would be nice, but that requires CPU because of the hardware interrupts from the radio.
    Right now, the watch can be in low-power mode most of the time, because it is so limited in hardware.

As you might have noticed, I agree with these design decisions and would love if Apple keeps it minimal.

10. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

September is the safest bet if there will be new Watch this year. AW is just a 1st generation so there's plenty of things to improve. Speed is an obvious one. Sensors is another. Apple would be mad not to give us more sensors to improve health and fitness aspects. Who knows, Apple might surprise us with Bluetooth 5 if there's such a thing.

11. tkukoc macrumors 6502a

tkukoc

I can see a new one coming this year but I'm not interested in it. This one does exactly what I need it to do. Is it slow? Yes, but that's comparing it to your smart phone and that's just not fair! So I turn it on, let it load and login when it's ready. I hardly use any applications other then the fitness, messages, weather and mlb all of which show exactly what I need. So I can and plan to skip at least 1 generation if not two at this point. I really have zero need for a camera on it and as far as being thinner? Nah, its perfectly fine for my taste, I put a case over it anyway.

12. macdragonfl macrumors 6502

macdragonfl

I think maybe Apple will just up the internals in the present form factor and introduce a round version.

13. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I know you don't seriously think somebody would have the answer to this, right? Not trying to be a mean guy, but nobody can tell you that...

14. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

It's only safe not to assume.

I'm quite happy with the Watch now. Speed was improved considerably with Watch OS 2.2. This has been noted in mulitple threads here and I noticed too.

I doubt Apple is going to duplicate hardware components when you need a phone for the watch to work anyway. Not a lot of point putting a GPS in the Watch too.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

It's not pointless to put GPS in the AW as it can come in handy for jogging, etc., but they won't do it if it's a battery killer.

16. Karnicopia macrumors 6502

I honestly can't think of too much that it's missing. It does seem a lot faster with the new update, the only thing I really use 3rd party apps for is complications which work fine. The battery seems fine not even sure what sensors they would add. Blood sugar would be cool but sounds like that kind of sensor is pretty far off. Blood pressure would be cool but not sure if that is even possible in this form factor. Blood oxygen is already in the watch they would just have to turn it on.

Most of the improvements I want is software just more watch faces honestly and more flexibility with complications like situationally aware would be awesome. Calendar only when I have a upcoming meeting, weather around lunch and commute, hue at home, that could be really cool.

I really don't have many gripes with the hardware. Honestly I don't want stand alone cellular that is a complete battery killer in buildings, would rather have battery than redundant for me GPS and would never use a camera on it. I actually agree with the compromises they made at least for my usage. I guess it would be cool to get an update but I think they have a lot more work to do on the software side than the hardware side.

17. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Owners of iPhones a few generations ago said exactly the same thing, then we got Siri, TouchID, Apple Pay, Force/3D Touch, etc. Bet you the AW will be significantly different hardware wise several years from now, but they'll involve technology that hasn't yet been invented. That's why we can't seem to think of anything else it's currently missing.

18. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Only said "I doubt it". The reason the AW battery can last all day is because the phone does all the heavy lifting.

19. bluespark macrumors 65816

I suspect OP is right about the time frame. That's long enough after the initial release that first-generation users won't feel shafted and it draws attention right before Christmas shopping season. I hope I'm not being overly optimistic because I also want one and have been holding out for the second-generation product.

20. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Well I expected some updates to the Mac desktops even if it was just spec bumps at this past announcement and there was nothing.

21. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

Mac will get attention at WWDC. It only makes sense if there is redesign for rMBP. Thats why (I think) there was no silent refresh. They want their prime time for redesign and WWDC is perfect for that. If there is just a specs bump then they won't bother showing it at WWDC and will be silent update. I think that is what Apple is these days.
    Something worth talking about - press event. Minor specs bump -> silent update.

AW should get update fairly soon. The thinking that there is "nothing" really missing is very bad thinking. Why? Because that kind of thinking stops innovation. There is always something missing and there is always something to improve. Apple is great at pursuing that so I hope that AW 2.0 will have something worth talking about. To me, GPS is pointless and so is the camera. If I want face time I will take my phone out as its bigger so I can see more etc.
    What I would really like Apple to do is to push the AW to health direction. Making it your personal device like almost a doctor. Got a heartattack and there is no pulse? The AW will contact Emergency through your phone with your location. Having anomalies etc. in your pulse or other sensor reading data -> suggests doctor appointment.
    As its personal device I would really love to have it like that. Doctors will have more data to work with and we will have something that "looks" after us a bit better. Thats where future lies anyway so lets hope Apple will push that direction.
    With their healthkit initiative etc. it does seem like they do want that. :)

22. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

I think Apple will stick with its current version - why create a round version that looks like the competition, not to mention all the current OEM and third party bands that won't fit a new design?

23. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Not a psych but I doubt it. Just except round watch faces everything else done with a smart watch is better with a rectangle screen. Everything.

24. Freida thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't understand the round version either. Square or rectangle gives you more space to work with. Round shape is not practical and I hope they will never change that. Maximum do 2 versions to give people options. :)

25. WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW macrumors newbie

WWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

I concur.