AW3 changed my mind about iPhone X

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I was on the fence about upgrading from my iPhone 7 to the iPhone X. But then I realized that since I have gotten the Apple Watch Series 3 I very seldom carry my iPhone with me now. So with that said I held off on upgrading. Has anyone else experienced this?
I Definitely think Series 3 provides the freedom of not having your iPhone tethered with you all the time. But ultimately, it comes down To The phone experience or the Apple Watch experience. If somebody appreciates not having their iPhone on them all the time, the Apple Watch is a really nice experience to have with all of its capabilities as well.

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
I Definitely think Series 3 provides the freedom of not having your iPhone tethered with you all the time. But ultimately, it comes down To The phone experience or the Apple Watch experience. If somebody appreciates not having their iPhone on them all the time, the Apple Watch is a really nice experience to have with all of its capabilities as well.
I agree. I love the iPhone X but I just didn't think it was worth it for me to pay the money for something that I am not going to carry around all the time.

co1f

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2014
I was on the fence about upgrading from my iPhone 7 to the iPhone X. But then I realized that since I have gotten the Apple Watch Series 3 I very seldom carry my iPhone with me now. So with that said I held off on upgrading. Has anyone else experienced this?
Exactly the same for me. I was actually thinking about downsizing to the SE.

Mercenary

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2012
I was all set to get a new iPhone this year as I do every year and then they announced that new, unknown face tech and that laughable price and I decided no new phone. But, the series 3 announcement did get me more excited. And here I am. Series 3 GPS and couldn't be happier. I'll stick with my 7 for now thanks.

matrix07

macrumors 601
Jun 24, 2010
Never on the fence. Series 3 LTE & iPhone X when available. Best of both world.

Life is too short. :p

perezr10

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I still love my iPhone 7 Plus but I HATED running with it. Now that I can run with just my watch I’m thinking there’s no need to upgrade to the iPhone X. If I hadn’t bought a Series 3, I would’ve upgraded to the X for sure because it would’ve been easier to carry when exercising.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
My iPhone is now my least important device and care much more about having new iPads and the Apple Watch - happy with my SE and see now reason to upgrade to the X - the camera is good enough for what I need.
I was actually thinking about this.
I have a 9.7 Pro and 12.9. Series 1
The 12.9 is a little heavy and bulky for use.
9.7 maybe a little too small. Not sure but maybe it’s the less bezel that makes it appear that way.
Anyhow, I am thinking about getting a 10.5 cellular and leaving the 8+ at home.
I wish I had kept the 7+ didn’t by the 8+ And instead bought the 10.5 iPad

Mansu944

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2012
I had the X in my bag at 12:05, I saw the price over a grand and said screw that. I have been wanting a smaller phone than my 7+ for jogging and walking and that is where the S3 LTE fits in. I really don't need it and honestly the watch took a big chunk out of my Apple Allowance.

Reactions: andresandiego

andresandiego

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 7, 2015
San Diego, Ca
That has crossed my mind as well.
I had the X in my bag at 12:05, I saw the price over a grand and said screw that. I have been wanting a smaller phone than my 7+ for jogging and walking and that is where the S3 LTE fits in. I really don't need it and honestly the watch took a big chunk out of my Apple Allowance.
Watch Os 4.1 is going to be game changer for me.

Reactions: Mansu944

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017
I still went ahead and ordered the iPhone X, but I do understand what you are saying.
The freedom of not having to carry my phone with me during my morning walk, quick run to the club house, and returning red box are so great.
The Apple Watch before LTE was only an extension of your phone, I constantly worried if I’m out of the Bluetooth range and might’ve miss something important. As a parent I can’t afford to miss any important call from kids’ school. Which I didn’t like it much, because it means I had to carry one more device compare to before I had an Apple Watch.
Now with LTE it is totally different!

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
I could spin it the other way --

Because I don't have to keep my phone on my person all the time anymore, I can upgrade to a bigger one (from my SE to, say, an iPhone X) because I'll also have pockets or a bag in which to carry it.

Then, when I need to use the phone, it'll be even more kickass.

Leica Dad

Suspended
Sep 28, 2017

Because I don't have to keep my phone on my person all the time anymore, I can upgrade to a bigger one (from my SE to, say, an iPhone X) because I'll also have pockets or a bag in which to carry it.

That’s interesting.
The smaller footprint is worth it to me, Plus form all the reviews so far I’m sure I’ll love the new X.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The AW3 permitted me to move my primary sim over to Android for the first time. This was the first year I ever ordered a new Android phone, as opposed to picking one up second hand. The reason for this, is mainly because the watch will stay in contact with the cellular network alongside the Android phone, and I actually miss less calls. It also lets me receive iMessages when using Android (watch only).

That said, I still ordered an X, and will be swapping my personal SIM back into an iPhone when it arrives ;) .

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008

Similarly, because I don’t have to keep my phone in my pocket the whole time at work and worried about it getting covered in farm related filth, my shiny iPhone X can stay in the truck while my AW3 sits on my wrist paired to my Beats X - particularly useful when using a chainsaw!

Reactions: Leica Dad

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
That’s interesting.
The smaller footprint is worth it to me, Plus form all the reviews so far I’m sure I’ll love the new X.
Yup. Back when the 6 was announced, I wasn’t looking forward to giving up my 5S. I liked the 6 in every way except for the size (even the regular, non-plus-sized model). I was quite relieved when the SE came out.

I got my first-gen AW while I still had the 5S, though, and eventually noticed how much less I was reaching for the phone. I still didn’t want to jump to a 6S or 7 mainly because of what I said — that the watch needed the phone for basic connectivity away from home, so I often carried both devices anyway.

But, in the future, when I get around to an LTE AW, it’ll be neat to have a rockin’ phone with even more oomph.

HeadphoneAddict

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
if you very seldom carry your iPhone 7 now, due tot he LTE watch, the I'd skip the X.

With the AW3 LTE I can leave my big 7+ in my car and still make calls while I'm out hiking or biking in case of emergency. So phone size isn't an issue anymore.

But I like how my 7+ works in landscape more like a nano-iPad, while the X runs in landscape like any other iPhone. So I'm considering canceling my X order now, regardless of having the AW3 LTE or not. For sure my 7+ is still plenty responsive with iOS 11.0.3 so speed isn't a reason to get the X.

When I have my 7+ I like to use it like a tiny iPad in full landscape mode (rotating icons on home screen, tabs in browser, dual column support in apps like notes, mail, settings, calendar, etc). It's small enough to take most places, but occasionally I may want to not carry it around.

So far I have kept an old iPhone 6 as a spare for those instances when my 7+ was too big, and now I have the AW3 LTE so I don't need to downsize with the X. The X will be only so I don't have FOMO (fear of missing out).