AW4 I like it but...

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by BigCanoe, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:42 AM.

1. BigCanoe macrumors 6502

I am not blown away. This is my first smart watch. Do I have to give it time to wow me? I would probably have been just as happy with the AW3 at half the price honestly. I guess maybe it needs time for me to bond with it :)

2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

Basically the differences are the “50%” louder speaker, the ECG reading feature and the redesign. Battery life is about the same. Some day it’s less than the Series 3 and some say it’s more than the Series 3. Depends on usage.

In my personal opinion, I would opt for the Series 3 because it’s cheaper and almost the same thing. The redesign I don’t really care about.

3. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

So the ECG is not enable yet correct? And you will have to take a reading and then what do you do with it? Send it to a Dr? I may see if someone wants to trade up for some cash plus their S3.

4. CrownSeven macrumors member

Bigger screen, faster processor. You'd be nuts to go for a 3 over a 4 but hey, to each their own.

5. StumpyBloke macrumors 6502

StumpyBloke

There is no chance on earth I would go back to my old 3 after owning the 4. The screen and speaker volume increases absolutely seal the deal for me.

6. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

7. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

If you never had a 3 would you feel the same way? I mean, when you got the 3 was it life changing? I will give it some time to grow on me before I do anything rash. The bottom line is about $200 bucks for brand new S4 vs used S3. I would probably regret it later and not end up missing the $200, I know me...

8. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

What do you expect the watch to do to wow you?

I mean, it does a lot of cool things. Nothing I couldn’t live without. I probably wouldn’t have it if not for my daughter’s harping on how much she likes her watch.

But then I’ll get a phone call on it while I’m working out without my phone and I’m glad I bought it. I’m just not sure there’s a lot of wow there, though.

9. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Hah true. It does what its supposed to do I guess :)

10. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

I don’t want to sound like I’m downplaying it. The activity stuff helped restart my motivation to keep moving. And being able to see notifications without pulling out the phone is nice. Having the watch eat the notifications sounds rather than having them come through my car stereo when I’m listening to music is nice. The turn notifications in Maps while I’m driving is very cool and a subtle but very well thought out idea.

It does a lot of things that make me thing, “That’s pretty cool.” Maybe it gets a cumulative wow.

11. deeddawg, Oct 11, 2018 at 6:34 AM
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018 at 6:46 AM

deeddawg macrumors 604

I've had the S2, S3, and now the S4. All have been worthwhile upgrades, though for different reasons.

None of the watches have been "life changing" -- so no, don't expect some big angel-chorus moment when you put on the watch.

What the watches *have* done is they've made a lot of things a little bit easier -- largely by serving as a quickly accessible satellite of my phone. Or even as a substitute for my phone with the cellular watches. Phone rings and it's in my pocket or another room? I can see who's calling and answer or reject the call from my wrist. Someone texts me, I can see it on my wrist -- and even make a quick acknowledgement or reply from the watch. Playing music from my phone to a bluetooth speaker while cooking dinner -- and I can change volume, play/pause/skip tracks from the watch. I can control my home alarm system from the watch, arming or disarming. I can lock or unlock my truck from the watch (Directed SmartStart).

Siri on the watch is really useful -- setting countdown timers when cooking or for other reasons. Adding something to a Reminder list right when I think of it (aka "Add bread to grocery list" adds "bread" to the Reminders list named "Grocery")... oh and then I use that list on the watch while at the grocery store, checking off items as I put them in the cart.

Homekit is really nice too -- Ecobee thermostat, Schlage door lock, Leviton light switches, Honeywell Lyric alarm system. Siri commands to "Unlock front door" or "Turn on front porch" or "Set thermostat to 75 degrees" are all handy.

All that's not even counting my main reason for the watch, which was running and workouts.

12. Monkswhiskers macrumors member

If you don't use cellular than the speaker is irrelevant other than siri which isn't great lets be honest, in which case it's a lot to pay for a slightly bigger screen. 3 works for me. just picked up a cheap SS. I will do the same next year/year after for the 4/5, let someone else pay the hit for the 'Apple tax'.

13. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Very nice, thank you! I think I just need to give it time, not sure what I was expecting to be honest...

14. barjam macrumors 6502

In practice it feels like a much bigger screen, not slightly bigger. The upgrade from a 0 to a 3 was *far* less impressive to me than the upgrade from a 3 to a 4.

Another thing the 4 has going for it is that it feels way faster than the 3.

15. Freakonomics101 macrumors 68000

Freakonomics101

You brought up a good point. I didn’t have the 3 before. I had the 2. I see noticeable improvements in a lot of things, especially sleep/walk accuracy.

16. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I returned my 1st Apple Watch when they first came out but a few months later tried it again and have owned each one after. The 4 is awesome.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

Each to their own of course, but I find Siri on the watch to work very well for what I use it for. Not perfect by any means, but still extremely useful.

18. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

I hear you. My daughter got one and I was like, “Why would I need that?” Ultimately, it was worth it to her as an accessory and as a secondary way to keep in touch if her phone died.

I guess I was sort of expecting some revelatory moment, too. My favorite thing is leaving my phone at home when I do cardio or lift, but still have music and be in touch. It’s pretty expensive for that convenience, but all the smaller things do add up to a good experience so far.

19. Monkswhiskers macrumors member

Fair enough, I guess I'll find out for myself next year

20. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

This.
    I haven’t touch last years edition since I put on my SBSS series 4

21. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

Ya I didnt get cellular but now kinda wish I had!

22. blwade macrumors 6502

I went from a S2 to a S4 and I know the screen size doesn't seem that drastic of a change, but it feels like a big deal on your wrist! Coming from the 2, the speed of the 4 is incredible!

I debated just getting a series 3, but don't regret going for the 4.

As far as the usefulness of the watch.. it's not a necessity for me, but I've really grown to love it - it's perhaps one of my favorite Apple devices.

The health features help keep me moving (much more than I would without it). Tracking workouts has also helped me intentionally workout more. Goals and achievements seem to be a good way to motivate me.

Having notifications on my watch makes it really easy to glance for a split second while at work without having to pick up my phone. This became beneficial for texts from my wife - I can quickly see if its something important enough to need to pick up my phone and address right away.

If money ever becomes tight, it will be one of the first things to go, but I'd really miss it at this point.

23. macintoshmac macrumors 68030

macintoshmac

How would you think about the larger screen size, if you were in the market, comparing S3 vs S4?
    --- Post Merged, Oct 11, 2018 at 7:38 AM ---
    Could you help elaborate the turn notifications thing? That sounds like something I would have a use for.

24. Deguello macrumors 6502a

Deguello

When I have a route set in Maps, the Watch vibrates and sounds like a turn signal when I get close to a turn or exit.

25. BigCanoe thread starter macrumors 6502

I assume this is Apple maps only, not Google maps?