AW4 to 5

Casey05

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Is it worth it? Heard bad things about the battery but my AW 4 is rarely below 30% at end of day

thanks for any feedback!

staggerlee41

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
From a battery perspective, there seemed to be issues some experienced at first release but I think most of those issues have been smoothed out with subsequent WatchOS updates. Apple isn't reporting any different battery life between 4 and 5, even with the AOD and upgraded display they're still noted at 18 hours. In theory, if you're not using AOD and only using tap or raise to wake you might get a little more battery life out of it but then why upgrade if your S4 is still ending up with solid battery life at the end of the day?

The real questions to ask yourself are whether or not AOD, compass, noise and disk space are important to you because those are the differences.

Last edited:

haddy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2012
NZ
Is it worth it? Heard bad things about the battery but my AW 4 is rarely below 30% at end of day

thanks for any feedback!
I have both paired to my iPhone 8.....and I wear both on different days. However, I find that I'm using the 5 more and more. Liking the "always on" more and more:). No difference in battery life.

cappo3

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2014
I got my first Apple Watch 2 days ago, a 40mm S5. AOD makes the watch for me, it looks and feels alive. I wouldn't care for it if it didn't have AOD.

Reactions: matrix07

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
A lot of users overlook the compass but if you do a lot of walking navigation, especially in a big city, it shows what direction you’re facing from the maps app. I’m actually glad this was added along with AOD.

Last edited:
Reactions: Significant1

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
A lot of users overlook the compass but if you do a lot of walking navigation, especially in a big city, it shows what direction your facing from the maps app. I’m actually glad this was added along with AOD.
I don’t think the compass is overlooked, I think consumers generally don’t care. It’s hardly marketed as a feature, and I think it’s a nice side component to be added to the Apple Watch given _all_ the other capabilities it has now, but I definitely don’t think it’s a selling point for the majority of consumers are more interested in the health side of things with notifications/always on display/water resistance, etc.

Significant1

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2014
I don’t think the compass is overlooked, I think consumers generally don’t care. It’s hardly marketed as a feature, and I think it’s a nice side component to be added to the Apple Watch given _all_ the other capabilities it has now, but I definitely don’t think it’s a selling point for the majority of consumers are more interested in the health side of things with notifications/always on display/water resistance, etc.
I really missed it in workoutdoors map this summer when trying to orientate on my runs. So I really care.

I don't think many will use the compass app, that I consider more of demonstration app.

Reactions: Itinj24

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I up graded from S4 to S5 and don’t think it was necessary but, I did it and have no remorse. AOD was never a want for me but, I wouldn’t go back. Depends more on your financial situation.
Exactly my story too, however, I upgraded more for the move to Cellular, AOD was just a bonus. I turned out to REALLY like this feature.

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
I really missed it in workoutdoors map this summer when trying to orientate on my runs. So I really care.

I don't think many will use the compass app, that I consider more of demonstration app.
Right. Not necessarily the compass app but the hardware used to power it is what makes the difference.
- - Post merged: - -

Overlooking, not caring, same difference lol.

perezr10

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
I like the one guy’s response who said he had no buyer’s remorse for his Series 5. I feel the same.

I like that I never have to turn my wrist to see the time. It’s a small advancement but one that I use many times a day. So to me it’s worth every penny because it’s so useful. I don’t feel like I paid a lot of money for something that I never use. And to me, telling the time is what a watch is all about. I don’t think the Apple Watch was a real watch until now. It could tell time before, but so could your iPhone if you turned on that screen too.

It’s kind of like spending a lot of money on nice sounding headphones. If you enjoy the sound every day, it’s worth it to you.

Reactions: the future

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
I upgraded from S4 to S5 and I have zero regrets. I can't imagine going back to not having AOD now. My battery life was atrocious the first week but now it feels like it did with my S4. I have AOD and raise to wake both on.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Overlooking, not caring, same difference lol.
Let me explain to make it clear for the second time. ‘Overlooking’ means that someone didn’t even notice the feature that was presented on the device, ‘not caring’ would be acknowledging the feature, but they (The consumer) don’t have any use for it. They are _not_ the same difference.

Last edited by a moderator:

Itinj24

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Let me explain to make it clear for the second time. ‘Overlooking’ means that someone didn’t even notice the feature that was presented on the device, ‘not caring’ would be acknowledging the feature, but they (The consumer) don’t have any use for it. They are _not_ the same difference.
Overlook could also mean ignore or disregard which is the same as not caring.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbachandouris

macrumors 601
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
I did it and no, it's not at all worth it. AOD is the only real 'draw' if you can even call it that. I only 'upgraded' because I had a buyer for my 4 already on the hook.

Lyn2012

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2007
The S5 is my first AW, I only bought it because of AOD. I tried the SS but as I’m unused to wearing a watch found it too heavy so ended up with SH Alu.

Casey05

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
So pretty much mixed response as I expected haha. If I did upgrade I’d probably still try and get the AW6 next year.... with that I’m assuming it makes more sense to go with Aluminum? The resale values in the SS and Titanium seem to be pretty bad

eclipse01

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
So pretty much mixed response as I expected haha. If I did upgrade I’d probably still try and get the AW6 next year.... with that I’m assuming it makes more sense to go with Aluminum? The resale values in the SS and Titanium seem to be pretty bad
Resale value in AW's alone are pretty bad.

Reactions: staggerlee41