Awkward rut

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iMacZealot, Oct 7, 2007.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

So, I've just started high school, and I've been meeting a lot of people. I've met a girl that I'm very interested in. Sure, the fact that I've only known her 2 months discounts my feelings, but I still feel like that in that short timeframe, she's one of the few people I've met who's seen the true me.

I sit right next to her for 2 periods, 140 minutes a day. She's very funny and interesting. We have a lot in common. She's also gorgeous. I talk to her a lot, as well as text her throughout the weekend. We always exchange greetings on the pathways.

If you've been following my other thread of this topic, I was working up confidence to ask her to homecoming. I asked her on her birthday, but she was already going with a group. I wasn't terribly crushed by it at all because I felt like I would've gotten a yes had I asked her earlier, but we've been sinking into an awkward rut where you want to say something to each other, but just can't. Your eyes will meet, but we both look away swiftly before escaping back into the shuffle of people. It makes me realise how much communication remains unspoken or unwritten.

Homecoming was tonight, and I was just going to go by myself, but I missed the deadline to purchase ticket, and I feel that I would have been inconveniencing my family.

I can't stand this awkward rut. She is the type to be very flirtatious, but even if her feelings reflect mine, the awkwardness is killing me, and I would be fine if our friendship didn't escalate. I have heard that she is the type that can make your life miserable. I can see that because she psychologically probably wants to prove to people how strong she is. She still will text me back, but as stated earlier, so much communication remains unspoken or unwritten.

and I love to hear myself type.

2. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

Oh, you are so in :p

Just be a man and ask her.

3. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Ask her what?

4. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ask her if she'd like some awkward rutting, presumably.

5. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You mean dear sex?

6. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Kidnap her, works in the movies;)

But on a more serious note just ask her out and if she says no go find another chick. I get so pissed off, um annoyed, when girls mess me around...

7. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Inexpensive would be better. Can't you get a beginner's discount?

8. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Absolutely brilliant responses :D:D:D

Just ask her out next time you meant on a pathway. Or if you really can't face it in person phone her up.

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Forgive me, but I don't really understand the concept of "asking someone out" at this time. Neither of us can drive yet; the only other time I see her outside of school is at sporting events; and my parents definitely wouldn't drive me to the cinema or something.

I'll have to think about that.

10. 119576 Guest

cute.

take her for a walk or something. tell her how you feel.

go for a picnic.

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

You don't understand. An amber alert will be sent out if I'm not home within 90 seconds of my expected time of arrival at home.

12. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

You don't need to be able to drive to go out. You have 2 legs, so use them! I was seeing my current girlfriend for a year before I could drive!
    I remember how we first got together; It was really weird. A big group of my friends were arranging to go to the cinema one night, so I invited her to come along with all of us, and invite some of her friends. Then in the evening, we met in Subway, to grab some food, then walk up to the cinema together. As we were walking up all my friends kept phoning and texting me telling me they couldn't make it. In the end it was just the two of us going, and we had a great time, and have never looked back.
    Now I'm recalling it, I'm starting to think that maybe my friends planned it, but never mind, I'd be glad if they did. See if you can arrange for your friends to do something like that. It would probably work best if you had a mixed group of friends, so that she doesn't feel like she's going out with a bunch of boys.

13. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Speak to your parents i'm sure they'll understand

How old are you? Just so we can put this in perspective.

14. 119576 Guest

I was about to ask this.

Do kids start high school the same time we start secondary school?

'cause that would make him 12ish? Hm.

15. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

A quick bit of googling tells me that High school starts in 9th Grade, which is equivalent to year 10, so age 14-15ish.

16. 119576 Guest

oh alright.

OP. speak to whoever expects you home at a certain time. I'm sure they'll understand your situation and let you out for a walk, at least.

17. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

She lives about 2 miles away (or 3.2 kilometers for you Britons and Australians).

I know she goes to the Starbucks that's basically behind her house, but that's not a fun distance to walk. There's also a Caribou behind my house. The country club is about midway, but I'm not sure if she belongs to it.

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

The caribou probably ruts too. Dangerous territory...

19. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

your parents must be pretty strict if you cant even ask to go out one evening at your age. When I was 15 I would not come home till 10-11ish at night most days. Just tell your parents to chill! Its not like your out smoking and vandalizing the park! Tell them where your going, and they'll learn to trust you.

I live 2 miles away (we still use miles in Britain). nothing like a nice 45 minute walk to clear your mind! But in all seriousness at your age you shouldn't think you cant walk 2 miles. As a point of interest, around here, unless you live more than 2.5 miles away from school, you have to walk, there is no bus or anything.
    Sometimes i still walk to and from my girlfriends now, even though its only a 10 minute drive. And you can always catch a bus, Taxi etc. Maybe invite her to somewhere near you, maybe her parents will give her a lift. But you'll never know till you ask.

20. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

1.) We Brits still deal with miles
    2.) 2 miles "not a fun distance to walk" :confused: 2 miles would only take about 20 minutes to walk. Just put your iPod on and you'll be there in no time.

Edit:Notsofatjames I obviously walk a whole lot quicker than you do

21. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Crazily we still use Miles, and will do for a while yet. They are pretty much the only thing we don't do in metric, though we still get pints of milk and pints in the pub.

22. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Yeah, it's two miles, but it literally isn't a walk in the park. It's two miles on one of the busiest streets in the city with no sidewalk.

23. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

If its in the city, I would think it has a sidewalk, or there's another route.
    Or if its in the city, there's public transport.
    It sounding like your making excuses now. :)

24. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

This discussion about getting there is all academic at this point.

Speak to your parents
    Ask her out
    Work out the details.

25. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

I know, it sounds like it, but it's true. At least one person is killed every year at my intersection. My parents wouldn't let my 23 year old sister drive to Starbucks to meet her friends; they definitely wouldn't let me cross that intersection.