Axe killing my skin?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AlmostJosh, Feb 25, 2009.

1. AlmostJosh macrumors 6502

AlmostJosh

So I'm 14 and I've been using the axe roll on deodorant for a while. Recently, I have found that under my arms there is skin that is flaking off, and when I went to shower today I found that skin is flaking off everywhere. Has this happened to anyone else? I tried googling it, but nothing came up. SHould I be worried? For now, I'm using old spice.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Consult your doctor, or better yet, a dermatologist. If you're concerned, it's worth seeking professional advice.

3. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Don't worry, its part of growing up, you're just leaving your larval state:p

Its winter, you may just have dry skin.

5. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

No need to go to the doctor, just stop using that brand.

Same thing happens when I use Old Spice.

6. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

The same thing has happened when I used Axe and Tag, both cause my armpit to dry out and peel like that. I usually stick to unscented Mitchum, it's the strongest stuff you can get over the counter.

Also, I tend to detest all of that Axe/Tag/etc. stuff, I used to use it when I was in junior-high when it first came out (I'm in college now). I'd rather just used unscented deodorant/antiperspirant and a nice cologne.

I find it rather strange when I meet guys my age who still use that stuff when all it does is remind me of the locker room back in junior high/high school. Sadly, a lot of guys my age still use all of that stuff.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

This is why I don't want nationalized health care, why the hell would I pay for someone to go to the doctor when they could easily use common sense and figure "Hey, maybe ill try another brand or style of product."

Your skin is dry, buy the colored deodorant and try that instead of the white antiperspirant that is much harsher on the skin.

8. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

That AXE deodorant is getting you tons of babes and you're worried about white flakes? Those 110 lbs D-cup supermodels don't care about white flakes! Live it up man YEEEAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

:p

OP, I'd go to a dermatologist to see if you have psoriasis or something.

10. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

Not to be rude or too forward, but why do you need to use deodorant? If you eat right and are physically healthy, you shouldn't stink.

11. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

That's not true... Some people have certain bacteria (that are codependent on their bodies) that just don't smell great. Other people just have bad BO. It's all body chemistry.

12. Mr. Giver '94 macrumors 68000

Mr. Giver '94

Axe is disgusting!!!! :eek:

A lot of the people at my school use it and I seriously think I'm allergic to it!!!:eek: Plus it's probably the worst smelling thing EVA!!!! (if you use too much)

I'd recommend Fierce from Abercrombie & Fitch. It's a cologne, not a deodorant. It smells really good and you'll get lots of compliments from girls. ;) It is kind of expensive though. I paid $85 for 3.4oz. Worth it though. :)

13. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I'll have to second the recommendation of A&F Fierce, it's one of my everyday colognes (class/work/etc). Also, while good cologne is a bit pricier upfront than a can of Axe, I would argue that it is more cost effective in the long run so long as you know how (and how much) cologne to put on.

14. sn00pie macrumors 6502a

sn00pie

Axe is disgusting...stick to a proper deodorant like Old Spice and buy a real cologne :p

15. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I assume people bathe regularly. If they do, the bacteria shouldn't have enough time to develop and produce so much waste to cause noticable foul odor. Proper diet can go a long way in reducing body odor in most cases.

16. jaydub macrumors 6502a

jaydub

Perhaps you're right, but a 14 year old boy may not be exposed to the most tactful people if they had to point out that he had a bit of body odor.

17. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

Stop using any hygiene products by Axe. It is the worst **** you could ever put on your skin.

18. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

As everyones said, could just be a skin reaction, if it persists, now you're using Old Spice, go consult a dermatologist, and all should be good, I get the same thing happen to me with certain show gels (only on pits too :confused:), it's nothing to worry about, it's just reaction, but you should see a dermatologist just to be 100% sure.

19. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

From viewing their ads, I'd say, keep using it. Chicks dig flaky skinned guys.

20. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

axe body spray makes me itchy... i think it we're just not normal :p

21. NC MacGuy macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Are you using deodorant or antiperspirant? There's a big difference in the two.

22. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

It sounds like the ACTUAL Lynx affect to me.

Had the same problem till I moved to a different brand.

It's a good idea to have 2 different brands of deodorant and rotate between them.

Obviously anything other than Antiperspirant is useless in the long run for anyone

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I don't know if this is the big difference though. I can use either deodorant or antiperspirant, but I can't use Right Guard. It actually causes a rash under my arms, and if I touch it or scratch it, and then scratch my arm or something, the mild rash occasionally spreads. Usually it doesn't, but I'd prefer to use common sense and stop using Right Guard. ;)

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

And that's where you're wrong. The bacteria live under the flesh and produce their waste that perspires through pores producing the offensive odor.

25. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

I admit I am far from being an expert on this subject. However, what I have read says that body odor is due in large part to bacteria that exist ON the body that digests sweat and produces waste from it that has a foul smell (to those who don't like the smell, which isn't everyone). Check wikipedia for more on this.