azureus, bad for Mac OS X Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ChronoYu, Dec 24, 2007.

1. ChronoYu macrumors member

Is Azureus bad for Mac OS V Leopard? Because I was reading that it causes major issues, according to http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=373263
    If Azureus IS bad, what should I get that does work okay? I also have Limewire (never opened before, the Apple seller put it in for us), does it have Torrent support?

I just got an iMac, so I'm new to this. Was originally a Windows user. I just only opened Azureus for the first time and am updating Azureus.
    I opened Azureus on my father's user, then tried to open it on my user, but it wouldn't open. Is it that some programs can only be opened once?

2. SavageMac macrumors member

Congrats for using torrents :)

(I'm sure you already are thankful of the many blessings torrents give us downloaders!)

that said, I use AZ for Leopard. It is not the best for OSX and works much better in Windows. AZ crashes a lot or takes forever to quit if I need to exit the application.

Tomorrow I'm going on a hunt for a better torrent client.

Transmission, though I am reading good things, is far too slow. It doesn't download files as quickly as AZ does.

And no, Limewire isn't torrent based.

PS.: I have not had any kernel panics using AZ -- then again on that link you provided it said MBP -- and I'm using a Macbook and MacPro.

A huge benefit with using AZ however is a plugin called "SeedPeer". Its a huge IP blocklist of all the baddies you don't want to download content from.

Keeps you safe in this cruel world where everyone just wants to **** you because you're a poor college or highschool student just wanting some new music (so you don't go out wandering in the streets bored, drunk, looking for drugs ;))

3. ChronoYu thread starter macrumors member

Haha, yes I'm very very glad for torrents. I've found many wonderful things on it. I'm hoping that my downloading experience will be much better now that I'm using it on Mac, seeing that Mac doesn't hang nor crash as often as Windows.
    Oh dear, I didn't see the MBP there... ^_^" So I'm guessing that it doesn't cause problems with iMac Leopard?

Do let me know when you find a better torrent client. :D
    Do you have multiple users on your MacBook? If so, have you tried opening AZ on one user (leaving it on), and then trying to open it on another user?
    I can't get it to open on the other user. It opens briefly, with the icon on the dock for a blink of an eye, then it disappears. Is that how it is on Mac? Can you only open one of it on only one user?

4. SavageMac macrumors member

I'm not sure about multiple users and AZ running --- sorry can't help there.

(I'd assume you can't do that though)

& nope, single user on both machines.

I don't think it will cause problems with your iMac.

When you try to close AZ though, it might hang, and take 3 minutes or more to close.

Even force quit doesn't work sometimes, AZ just hangs.

I have noticed stopping all downloading and uploading of every torrent before closing the application helps quite a lot.

Happy & safe downloading my fellow torrent lover.

Remember: AZ is very resource hungry, as its java dependent. This is the junky part.

5. ChronoYu thread starter macrumors member

resource hungry? java dependent? Sorry... don't understand.

6. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

Resources = RAM or Memory your computer uses for every thing it does

Java = The environment that azureus runs in, its cross platform i.e., windows, mac, etc.. but azureus runs poorly on os x comparatively

7. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

FWIW, Transmission is the way forward for torrents, and Acquisition is a much better, slightly less free version of Limewire.

8. ChronoYu thread starter macrumors member

Which would you say is better? They both work for Torrents right? Which do you use. Do any of them cause any problems for Mac OS X 10.5.1?

9. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

No. Transmission is for torrents. (personally I use BitsOnWheels, which works well for me - albeit I only use it occasionally).

Acquisition and Limewire are Gnutella clients and will not download torrents.

10. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

Just go with transmission, its simple and straightforward, and runs well on os x. Start there, if you have other needs post again.

11. AlexisV macrumors 68000

AlexisV

Azureus has been faultless on Leopard for me.

Don't know why you guys are having crashes?

12. antdgar macrumors member

hehe, azureus also crashed on me just now. Thought I'd pop in to this thread to tell ya. It crashed for seemingly no reason.
    I went to check the window ad it was not visible. I checked activity monitor and it showed the process to be unresponsive... weird.

13. kaiwai macrumors 6502a

kaiwai

I use the 'Bittorrent' from the creators, not too bad, it doesn't allow multiple downloads though - but still pretty fast.

14. ThomasShaped macrumors regular

I thought Acquisition downloaded torrents as well as being a Gnutella app. When you start it it asks if you want to download the Gnutella components and also my .torrent files have the Acquisition logo on them.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

it runs pretty poorly on windows as well. Sucks up a ton of ram there as well. To bad OSX does not have uTorrent. uTorrent seems to be the top pick for windows (has all the plus of Azureus with a very small memory footprint.

16. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Yup, I've downloaded torrents via Acquisition.

It's really nice, I haven't had any problems with it. Just wish I could get the full version. :rolleyes:

17. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

I thought os x in general had issues with java. Ive heard such great things about uTorrent I hope a port is in the works b/c the functionality of Azureus (Minus the 'Leopard + Wireless downloading= Kernal Panic' issue) with out the Memory footprint would be fantastic.

18. soms macrumors 6502

soms

Same here, I've had nothing but success with it. Transmission is INCREDIBLY slow for me, plus it has almost no features; whereas Azureus is loaded with features.

19. chocolate632 macrumors 6502

i use azureus almost everyday and it works fine

20. siphyn87 macrumors member

I used to azureus until recently switching to leopard on my macbook, since then azureus has always caused kernel panics if I left it running for a long time. I had tried transmission before but I could never get the speed I wanted out of it until I found an app called lighthouse, which basically ensures that all the ports that transmission tries to use remain open and then when you shut transmission down it closes the ports back up. I tried manually port forwarding with my router but I happen to be one of those unlucky netgear wpn824na v2 owners with the sucky firmware which doesn't allow you to port forward so that is why I used lighthouse. I highly recommend it an it should give you the speed your looking for with transmission.

21. writeous macrumors regular

Everytime I used AZ back when Leopard first came out, I got a kernal panic about 3 or 4 times when trying to run it. I switched to Transmission and havent had one since.

22. ChronoYu thread starter macrumors member

Hmm.... now this is kind of confusing... some say it's okay, other's say it causes problems... I guess I'll just have to try it out for a while and see if it causes any problems. It also depends on the type of computer you're using right? Transmission sounds good, the website made it sound nice. I think I'll give that a try if Azureus fails me.

What exactly do you mean by Azureus crashes? I know when a computer crashes, but a program?
    And what is kernel panic?

23. sublicon macrumors member

Limewire is great if you want a Cease and Desist letter from the RIAA.

24. Mr Black macrumors member

Mr Black

Azureus only KP in leopard if your using wireless if your ethernet cable is plugged into your comp your fine, thats my "fix" for it b/c I love azureus. I read the crash logs and it has something to do with airport trying to free an already freed chunk of memory.

25. Mernak macrumors 6502

You could also try FrostWire, which is basically a free version of LimeWire Pro with Torrent support. Can't vouch for speeds or anything (I use Transmission), but it is an option for you.