Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
Would you risk an Apple Store repair for a back-cover that is not flush?
Could this be a sign of battery expanding?

Its probably less then a 1mm, and on both sides.
Opening lid also makes sound, I imagine this is the culprit, case is bent from factory somehow.

I've read so many repair stories gone wrong, I'm worried to take it in.

https://ibb.co/fARGhT

IMG_1829.jpg

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
That’s a battery expanding. It’s unlikely there’s a bottom case defect, just at the front, where the battery pack is located.

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
That’s a battery expanding. It’s unlikely there’s a bottom case defect, just at the front, where the battery pack is located.
So I've to take it in :/
Will they replace the whole thing? or just battery? Since its bent.
Screen also makes weird sound when you open it...

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012

The battery is glued into the topcase. You'll get a new topcase (main body of the computer) which includes the battery, trackpad and keyboard. A good tech would asses the entire device and repair all issues if covered by warranty, but be sure to mention ALL issues you are aware of when submitting it for repair to be sure they don't overlook anything.

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
The battery is glued into the topcase. You'll get a new topcase (main body of the computer) which includes the battery, trackpad and keyboard. A good tech would asses the entire device and repair all issues if covered by warranty, but be sure to mention ALL issues you are aware of when submitting it for repair to be sure they don't overlook anything.
Good tech is the key here :) I'm an engineer, I know how sloppy some employees are.

Apple store vs authorized service provider, is there a consensus as which is better in most cases?
I've heard horror stories about both.

Also authorized service providers will service my Mac for free under warranty same as apple store right?

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
Good tech is the key here :) I'm an engineer, I know how sloppy some employees are.

Apple store vs authorized service provider, is there a consensus as which is better in most cases?
I've heard horror stories about both.

Also authorized service providers will service my Mac for free under warranty same as apple store right?

I work for a company that is an AASP, I can service under warranty just as an Apple store would but I am dedicated to a single customer sitting at their site. In order for an AASP to be able to service Macs they need to go through the same or very similar training that Apple service techs do and they have access to all the service info. They should also have all the tools needed.

An AASP MAY go above and beyond and do a full check-out of the system to find any faults, I would do that but I also sit right at a customer site. To be honest, with the 2016/2017 there are only 3 major repair parts - the topcase, the LCD and the logic board. Understanding that, if the system works fine aside from that bulge you're only getting the new topcase.

Apple store or AASP? The Apple store is likely sending your device to a central repair center. The AASP is likely to repair in-house (using the same parts Apple would) so it would take less time. These can be tricky systems to repair though, that TouchID sensor is a PITA to get installed properly so it may be worth letting Apple do it.

Reactions: salivan

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
I work for a company that is an AASP, I can service under warranty just as an Apple store would but I am dedicated to a single customer sitting at their site. In order for an AASP to be able to service Macs they need to go through the same or very similar training that Apple service techs do and they have access to all the service info. They should also have all the tools needed.

An AASP MAY go above and beyond and do a full check-out of the system to find any faults, I would do that but I also sit right at a customer site. To be honest, with the 2016/2017 there are only 3 major repair parts - the topcase, the LCD and the logic board. Understanding that, if the system works fine aside from that bulge you're only getting the new topcase.
Aside from bulge, I'm having multiple issues :)
Most annoying of those:

- Intermitent popping sound coming from hinge/screen area while in use (mostly when computer gets warm). It feels like glue is coming off somewhere inside the screen. But sometimes it feels like coming from speakers so I don't know.
- Cold start opening lid weird sounds, video demo:

hallux

macrumors 68040
Apr 25, 2012
As I said, make sure ALL issues are noted when it's submitted for service. Unfortunately, if the topcase is being replaced I would do that FIRST then reassess this noise after since the LCD has to come off the topcase and get realigned when installed on the new part.

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017

Opening lid also makes sound, I imagine this is the culprit, case is bent from factory somehow.

IMG_1829.jpg

Are you first time MacBook user? I don’t see anything wrong with your MacBook. 1mm seriously? Just use your Mac as other, before you get too crazy of your machine. Get something else better to do in your life rather wasting time on get imperfection of your machine. Get a better life.

Reactions: ressac

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I'd do an Apple store as they may decide if there are enough issues to repair under warranty that they just give you a new unit and send the old one in for a full repair and refurbishment.

salivan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 10, 2015
  1. Are you first time MacBook user? I don’t see anything wrong with your MacBook. 1mm seriously? Just use your Mac as other, before you get too crazy of your machine. Get something else better to do in your life rather wasting time on get imperfection of your machine. Get a better life.
    Nope, my 5th Mac ;)
    I don't pay 3k$ for imperfections.

joefoong79

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2017

1. Nope, my 5th Mac ;)
    I don't pay 3k$ for imperfections.

Take it easy buddy. Is just a machine. Anything will be imperfection. This stuff is mean to use and will show tear and wear after certain period. If you too stubborn with this thing will not make your everyday life happy.

borgranta

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2018
Take it easy buddy. Is just a machine. Anything will be imperfection. This stuff is mean to use and will show tear and wear after certain period. If you too stubborn with this thing will not make your everyday life happy.
If it is new it should not have the build quality of scrap metal.

Reactions: Mendota

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
- Intermitent popping sound coming from hinge/screen area while in use (mostly when computer gets warm)
This is most likely very normal; as your computer heats up (and cools off again), the components will expand and contract minutely, but not uniformly, as not everything gets heated an equal amount everywhere, nor does every material have the same thermal expansion coefficient. So there will be some stress built up between components and the chassis itself of your computer, and every now and then the tension will relieve itself with a popping sound as a result. Pinging hot car engines are another example of the same thing in action, for example.

DeanPSN

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2018
Dublin, Ireland

IMG_1829.jpg

First of all, the battery is not located there, so cannot be the battery expanding the problem.
After one of my top case replacements, my bottom cover was exactly the same and I just pressed on it hard on that side and clicked in and is 100% flush now, so probably just a small issue from assembling the device.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
NOPE - If that's a battery issue (and may well be so), best get it sorted sooner rather than later. And the OP is correct, if you pay premium price, you expect premium quality. This isn't a cheapo £30 Android tablet, it's a £3000 MacBook Pro. And as for wear-and-tear, that's nonsense too. I have a Mid 2015 MBP that's as clean and tidy today as the day it came out of it's box, and a CMP (2006) that happily running as a server with loads of disks in, that still looks like it's on display at the Apple Store.

You are right not to worry too-much about wear and tear, but this is NOT wear and tear.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote:
"Nope, my 5th Mac
I don't pay 3k$ for imperfections."

Well, it certainly seems like you may HAVE imperfections now.
Take it back to an Apple Store and let them look at it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
First of all, the battery is not located there, so cannot be the battery expanding the problem.
After one of my top case replacements, my bottom cover was exactly the same and I just pressed on it hard on that side and clicked in and is 100% flush now, so probably just a small issue from assembling the device.

The battery is located there. You had a re-assembly issue from a repair but OP's notebook is new.

upload_2018-7-9_11-40-1.jpeg

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
The battery is located there. You had a re-assembly issue from a repair but OP's notebook is new.

View attachment 769743
what are you talking about? you can clearly see that the un-flush part is at the top (near the screen attachment) by the ports, no battery there...

@OP
I do not know if it is a expanding battery, but if you want to be sure take it in and explain that you noticed the bottom was not flush and that you want to be sure it is not an expanding battery causing this. In any case they will take the back cover off to check it, if nothing is wrong reapplying the back cover might fix the issue with it not being flush as the original placement of it can have been a little off.
Having removed the back plate on my model a couple of times I found that putting it back can be tricky and you can get it a little off.

of course you read a lot of stories about it going wrong, non of the 1000 rights for each wrong is going to write about it complaining. There is a heavy over representation of negative stories on forums as people who experience no problem is unlikely to even look at a forum, let alone post.

Reactions: salivan and DeanPSN

Yash Hirai

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2020
So I've to take it in :/
Screen also makes weird sound when you open it...
Hi... i recently had this same issue now. Was it a battery defect?
[automerge]1590027746[/automerge]
I know this is an old threadng but I had the same issue. I hope someone can still reply as to what issue is this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: russell_314

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Hi... i recently had this same issue now. Was it a battery defect?
Since his profile says last seen Nov 20, 2019 he might not be on here. If it's swelling it could be the battery though and with lithium batteries you don't want to take a chance. They can be a fire hazard. I know Apple stores in the USA will be opening soon but not sure where you live

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.