Back fell out of Apple watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by melburstein, Aug 7, 2015.

1. melburstein, Aug 7, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2015

melburstein macrumors regular

melburstein

The back cover has detached from the body of the watch exposing wires. We are going to the Genus Bar. Has this happened to anyone else?

UPDATE. Our visit to the Genius Bar proved to me, once again, that not all geniuses are created equal. I requested immediate replacement under Apple Care. No go. They insisted on sending it out to the depot for a decision to either repair or replace. One Genius had an interesting theory, however. He said that batteries sometimes start to expand--either pushing out the front or back of the Apple Watch. I will post again when we get more info from the depot.

UPDATE #2. Apple came through, just like they usually do. We left the watch at the Genus Bar on Friday, and received a phone call the following Tuesday advising us that Apple had decided to replace the watch and we could pick it up. Now my wife has a shinny new watch and we are all happy again.

2. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Yep, has happened to multiple other Sport Watches.

3. fanta88 macrumors 6502

Yes, it has. I think you're the fourth person we know of.

4. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Bummer! You can find a few other posts here. I recall one where they wrote that the back pulled out when they removed the watch from the magnetic charging puck. I think they were sport models.

Out of curiosity does any of the following apply to your situation? Excessive sweating, swimming with the watch, application of lotions, sunscreens, etc. on the wrist where you wear your watch, wearing the watch while working with solvents of any kind (including getting the watch wet with dishwashing suds), unusually harsh operating environments that are either high heat and humidity, unusually cold, etc. ?

I'm just wondering if it's a manufacturing defect in some watches, or if something is dissolving the seals on the back of the watch...

I have definitely sweated a lot in mine since I have owned it, and cleaned it off with a soft cloth damp with water. I'm glad I have AppleCare, although this should be something that is covered regardless of whether or not you purchased additional protection. Please let us know.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Has it affected only the Watch Sport so far?

OP, do you have the Sport as well?

6. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

I think it's only been Sports so far, at least on this forum.

7. melburstein thread starter macrumors regular

melburstein

It isn't a Sports Watch. It is stainless steel. It popped off while removing from charger. And none of the conditions you mentioned apply. We do have Apple Care.

8. T-Will macrumors 6502a

T-Will

Congrats! I think you're the first SS to have this happen to on the forum. ;)

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

10. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Well... sure seems like a manufacturing defect. I'm sorry it happened to you, and I hope it doesn't happen to many of us! The magnet of the charging puck isn't terribly strong, but I may try to get in the habit of sliding the watch off rather than pulling it away.

If you get any information or explanation from Apple, please let us know.

Sean

11. crispApple macrumors regular

crispApple

Yeah I can see people slapping the charging puck on every time they charge it and pulling it off. Personally I take it easy taking it off and putting it on.

12. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

There's no reason to change your habit just because of reported manufacturing defects, which could be a case of defective glue or even no glue at all. If you alter your behavior from reading all the random/isolated manufacturing defects on here, you'd pretty much live a paralyzed life.

Speaking of which, I bet those manufacturing defects would reveal themselves much earlier if you subject it to a water stress test. Simply submerge it in a glass of water for several minutes and you'll get water ingress in case of a defective (or no) glue. Swap out under warranty for a defect-free one.

13. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

It should be required reading for people who don't have a clue about how the watch is put together.

14. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

What does this have anything to do with happening to be unlucky enough to receive a Watch with a manufacturing defect?

15. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

If you happen to have Apple Care, I'd recommend phoning or chatting with them and doing an express replacement. The stores aren't stocking replacement units, so they will send yours away and wait more than a week to get one back. An express replacement could be at your door 1 business day after it ships.

16. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Eh, sorry, I was probably half asleep.

17. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I am betting a lack of glue. We have only seen a few of these and the assembly is made by humans and they are not perfect.

18. melburstein thread starter macrumors regular

melburstein

UPDATE. Our visit to the Genius Bar proved to me, once again, that not all geniuses are created equal. I requested immediate replacement under Apple Care. No go. They insisted on sending it out to the depot for a decision to either repair or replace. One Genius had an interesting theory, however. He said that batteries sometimes start to expand--either pushing out the front or back of the Apple Watch. I will post again when we get more info from the depot.

19. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

This was not their decision. Apple itself has chosen not to stock white box replacements for the Watch (unlike other iDevices to date). They all have to be sent out to the depot at this time.

20. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Yeah, if you have Apple Care, the phone or chat people could have had one to your door much quicker. Still, it should work out with just a bit longer waiter.

They are obviously going to replace it for you, it will just take a bit longer. Enjoy thew watch when you get it back! Sorry this happened to you, but I bet your next one will have no issues! :)

21. Mac2me macrumors 6502a

The watches do heat up when charging like any other charging product. I wonder if that affects the bonding agent or the ceramic back and case materials.

22. Roller macrumors 68020

I understand that Apple isn't stocking replacement units in their stores. But if someone brings a defective AW into an Apple Store and has AC coverage, Apple should accept it on the spot and initiate the process of sending a replacement to the owner. It shouldn't take longer to replace just because you bring the watch to the store.

23. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Right, and I like to think that they thought of it when choosing the adhesives.

But in that teardown at ifixit.com, they use their "iOpener", which is some sort of heat-retaining pad. You stick it in the microwave for a bit, then lay it on top of the Watch, and after a while, the iOpener's heat softens the glue holding the display to the case.

After seeing the defective Watches posted here, and thinking back to the teardown from April, I get a little nervous about mine in really hot weather, mainly when I'm spending most of the day on a hot AstroTurf football field like we've done the past two weeks. The glue is probably fine, and it's no hotter than would be in a hot shower, but the problem is still in the back of my mind.

Yes, defects are what AC is for, I know that part. I'd just rather not have the potential for this problem in the first place.