Back to School Promo

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MintyDuhh, Aug 3, 2008.

1. MintyDuhh macrumors newbie

Alright, I was looking into buying a Macbook, and my boyfriend found for me the Back to School promotion thing, so I'll probably end up getting an iPod touch as well.

I'm not sure if I'm simply being dumb or not, but am I able to buy both of these items at say, Best Buy, at the same time, and get the promotion? Or do I need to go to an actual Apple store or order online? Because I read the PDF and I didn't quite get it. D=

Any help would be appreciated, thanks. :3

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Welcome. You have to buy from Apple. They must be on the same receipt. You can get $100 off a printer, as well. It must also be on the same receipt.

3. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks.
    And darn, that means I'm going to have to try and find an Apple store around here, which isn't going to be easy. D= I think the closest one is like fourty-five minutes away in cities I don't know. D= But oh well, it's worth the drive.

And yeah, I understood the same receipt thing, but I didn't know if you could buy both a Macbook and iPod Touch at the same time at a Best Buy store, or if I had to order online or at an actual Apple store.

4. FuuFuu macrumors regular

FuuFuu

if you don't want to waste on gas, you could buy it online. all the back to school promotion applies online as well.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Enjoy the sales tax!!

6. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

I can't purchase things online. D=
    Elsewise I would. Blahhhh.

Blame my mother and her anti-online purchase thing she's got going on. So yeah, I'll enjoy wasting gas and paying sales tax. D=

7. iOrlando macrumors 68000

If she has an apple store in her state, she would be paying sales tax online anyways...no savings in that department.

8. jroller macrumors regular

Actually, Apple charges sales tax, regardless. South Carolina just got it first Apple store, but purchases I made before it opened had sales tax added.

Note: TECHNICALLY, you are supposed to pay the tax to your state, anyway. You are SUPPOSED to add it on your taxes each year. (Not sure, but I suspect there is an incredibly low number of online/mail order sales if you go by official tax records only!)

9. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, so then there's really no difference anyways then?
    Just what I'm paying for in gas would be what I'd pay for in shipping right?

I guess that's simple enough.

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to receive the rebates and such?

10. Paix247 macrumors 6502

Actually, there is a difference. If you buy it online, the rebate process is nothing more than a few clicks and you get the check in a few days. If you buy at an Apple Retail store you have to cut out codes and fill out forms, and then you don't get the rebate for 2 months.

11. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh...
    Well that sucks. D=
    I don't think I'll be able to purchase online though, so I guess that's something I'll have to think about.

Why would it take so much longer though? Because don't you get a code on your receipt that you just have to type in the number or code for basically?

At least that's what I read...

12. iOrlando macrumors 68000

13. zsft macrumors regular

yeah i'm under the impression that they charge tax for online purchase regardless. and that it doesn't take long to get the rebate since the form you fill is online regardless of method of purchase...or not?

14. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well free shipping is nice then. xD;

But yes, I'm curious as to how long it would take to get my rebate if I was to purchase from a retail store instead of online.

Because online is looking like the best option, but I don't think I'll be able to purchase online. =/

15. iOrlando macrumors 68000

and why is the reason you cant buy things online. You mentioned your mom, but i am curious. do you have your own credit card or no?

16. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I have a credit card but it's attached to my mothers account because I'm still a minor. I won't be eighteen until November and until then I can't purchase things online "freely" unless I wish to have whatever I buy taken away...

She's just anti-computer and stuff, and thinks all her info is going to be stolen and this and that, so yeah. =/

When I read more into the receipt thing for in-store purchases it said I think 2 weeks to get the check, does that seem to be right?

17. jokun macrumors member

If you buy from an Apple store, ask the employees if you can use one of the display computers to complete the rebate info in-store online. I believe a few members here have done that right in the store immediately after purchase.

18. iOrlando macrumors 68000

Well when you turn 18... you can go on an online shopping spree.

2 weeks seems pretty quick to me for a rebate. Usually if it is the whole..cut the box..send it in the mail etc..it takes 5-8 weeks. You can try the whole doing it at a computer in an apple store..never tried that.

Random Fact: People in CT and RI get the rebate taken off before they pay for it. It's so awesome. And since they get it taken off before they pay, they also save by not having to pay sales tax on that $299.

19. NStocks macrumors 65816

I will be using my student card to get discount of the iMac in-store. It says my age on it ( 17 ), but I have just read online that you need to be 18 or over to use the student discount, or is this just online? If i got fed up of waiting for the Free iPod Touch offer to come to the UK, is there anyway I can get it, if it was to come out 10 days after I purchased my iMac for fre or would this require me to take it back and pay 10% restocking fee. (which would be less then £200 but maybe more then what I sell my current iPod Touch at.) And if this did happen, would I have to take back my old iMac or would I be entitled to a new one. ( even though I don't see myself doing this :p )

NStocks

20. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooh, that's a smart idea, thanks Jokun. :3

Ahah, you bet I will. xD;

Well when I attempted the rebate thing, just to see what it would say, all it seemed to ask for the receipt number and stuff, so do you actually have to cut out things from the boxes and mail them in?

And that makes me wish I didn't live in Michigan. D=

You need to be 18 or over to use the student discount?
    That doesn't make sense. D= You can be 17 and going to college can't you?

21. IPTVProducer macrumors newbie

Promo works at Best Buy

Hi,

I just helped my mom buy a macbook at Best Buy on Saturday. I asked if the back to school promo still applied and the employee said yes. In fact he said it was a better deal than going through Apple.

With apple you pay for the ipod touch then you have to wait for the rebate to be sent to you and go through all that receipt stuff.

With best buy, you pay for the ipod touch then immediately get a $200 best buy card.

22. iOrlando macrumors 68000

the rebate is for $299.
    If you only get $200 and not cash...thats lousy.
    I dont like Best Buy one bit. They get paid on commission.... it wont matter if you are buying a CD or something but for big sticker items..watch out.

23. illidian macrumors 6502

With Apple you get $100 off your MacBook immediately and $300 off your Touch later.

I guess $400 cash isn't as good as $200 Best Buy Credit to some people...

24. NStocks macrumors 65816

Yeah, I don't get it either. Can anyone ( under 18 ) confirm they have got student discount in-store with their student discount card?

NStocks

25. MintyDuhh thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I'm just going to call the nearest Apple store and see what they say about the age-limit for the promo.

Hopefully they can explain it at least.

And Best Buy cards would be nice for my boyfriend, but I'd prefer to have the cash to pay off other things. xD