Back to School Refurbished

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sirmausalot, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Sirmausalot macrumors 6502a

Sirmausalot

They just told me that the Back to School promotion doesn't apply to refurbished machines. Has this always been the case? Will this also mean I don't get a free upgrade to Lion?

2. 42streetsdown macrumors 6502a

42streetsdown

The BTS promo never included refurbs in the past. and all macs bought after i think june 6 will get a free lion upgrade.

3. gmans46 macrumors regular

yea bts has never applied to refurbs but your best bet would be to ask a service rep about free lion upgrade.

4. cloroxbleach4 macrumors 6502a

cloroxbleach4

+1. Refurbs never got the discount. See if you're still eligible for the Lion Upgrade

5. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Any Mac bought after June 1 until the release date of Lion (?) will receive a free upgrade to OS X Lion.* I'm not sure if it includes refurbished machines, but it should. Also, the BTS promotion only and has always applied to new machines. It's up to you to decide if you'd rather buy a new machine and receive a credit of $100 that you can spend towards iTunes, iBooks, Mac App Store, App Store for iOS, and eventually iMagazines (or what was it?).

I'm not sure what the prices of the refurbished and discounted machines are going for but that shouldn't be too hard to find out yourself.

* http://macdailynews.com/2011/06/11/apple-offers-free-os-x-lion-upgrade-for-new-macs/

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Depending on how low you can get the refurb and your plans for the saved money, it might be better for you to just get a new Mac. They're giving you a 100 back instead of the free iPod Touch; if you're planning on buying a few applications from the market (or anything from Apple online) then make sure you're saving over 100 bucks.

7. Mhkobe macrumors regular

In the past, all refurbished machines have shipped with the operating system that they originally shipped with. I am unsure whether or not the Lion upgrade will apply.

8. cyclotron451 macrumors regular

cyclotron451

I've previously bought refurb and qualified mac-up-to-date

I think I just filled in an online form and paid a £2 sterling postal charge. In uk at the moment refurb MBAirs (current generation) are hundreds of pounds cheaper whilst a new MBA would have a "free" £60 app store credit? I will wait until after the release of 10.7 to see which of the 'held back machines' would be most interesting!