Back to the SSD Dilemma

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by KJmoon117, Jun 15, 2011.

1. KJmoon117 macrumors 6502a

For the past few weeks, I've been trying to find an Intel 320 160GB drive for a decent price on eBay and what not. And because I live overseas, I can either buy the drive itself in Korea for about 350,000won, roughly $323 (but I get paid in won so to me it feels like $350), or buy it on eBay, which the price also converges to nearly the same price.

So I've been looking around again and I found out that OWC did some significant price cuts on their SSDs. Namely their main SATA 6Gbps SSD (Extreme) for about $280 and their newer SATA 6 Gbps drive at $230. With shipping they come out to be around $295 and $245 respectively. But the drives are SandForce based (I'll have a boot camp partition, but there seems to be so many horror stories regarding SandForce) and it's 40GB less than the Intel drive.

As a casual consumer who just wants the reliability and speed upgrade, is the Intel drive for about 40GB more really worth the extra $100? Which should I get seeing that I have a 2011 15" MBP?

(I know Intel is known for their amazing reliability but OWC is known for their damn good customer service as well, I think :/)

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

There are horror stories with EVERYTHING. If I lived life based off horror stories I would never step foot out of my house, but thats not realistic, nor is not buying something you want because some people had issues and then BASH the company for it.

Just because someone else had issues doesnt mean you will nor the next. It doesnt mean you wont. If you think its a "gamble" then dont buy technology in general. I would recommend the OWC SSD or OCZ Vertex 3.

Just because Intel has been known for LESS issues doesnt mean they dont have issues and doesnt mean you wont get a bad SSD...

3. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

^This. When you buy an SSD you get a return period (at least from a reputable place), so if you happen to be one of those few unlucky individuals you can easily swap for another.

That said, my Vertex 3 has been running perfectly from day 1.

4. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

The Samsung 470 series may not have the hella speed of SATA III, just no drama or horror stories.. :)

5. dagamer34 macrumors 65816

dagamer34

My Vertex 3 has been fine from day one. Just don't install TRIM enabler, it does more harm than good.

6. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies :)

I think I'm going to take one more look at Intel's drive on eBay and if nothing really comes up, then I'll just pony up the cash for an OWC drive, most likely the Electra.

Does anyone have any experience with them as an SSD manufacturer?

7. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

This isn't the first time I heard the Samsung 470 as a good drive. Don't they use Samsung SSD in the MBA?

8. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

Toshiba, IIRC.

9. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah the Samsung is a great drive. Unfortunately and ironically, it costs more than the Intel in Korea.

10. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

I'm debating if I should pull the trigger on the samsung drive. Amazon has the 256gb fir 440. Not a bad price.

11. KJmoon117 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Meh, I just ordered OWC's Mercury 6G Extreme, rather than the Intel. Hopefully it doesn't blow up on me, but hey, five year warranty XD