Back to ZiPhone, Any Oldschool Experienced Jailbreakers Needed

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kill454, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Kill454 macrumors newbie

So since jailbreakme.com has been reborn and everything. I have finally jailbroken/unlocked my iPhone 3GS and am planning to sell it on eBay for around 500-600 dollars, after that I will buy a cheap original 2G iPhone and use ZiPhone to change the IMEI # so that I can hide it from AT&T (I don't want to pay for the data plan). My question is, how will I downgrade the firmware to 1.1.4 and has anyone had bad experiences with ZiPhone, I just need to make sure this whole plan will work out for me. I'm pretty sure the latest version of ZiPhone fixed WiFi and YouTube app problems. Also, although I understand ZiPhone is old and all, I heard something about installing Custom Firmware once the IMEI # has been changed with ZiPhone, so that I can basically upgrade to higher firmwares (3.1.3) without changing the baseband/whatever.

So yeah, please post and inform me if you have dealt with ZiPhone in the past, and if my plan will go through smoothly.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Good luck with the $500 to $600 for a 3GS on Ebay.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

ZiPhone is the worst thing you can do. If you want to potentially brick your iPhone, go ahead. Also changing IMEI # is illegal.

4. christianinri macrumors member

Do 3GS still go for that much? I sold a brand new unlocked one for $500 but that was like 6 weeks ago.

5. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

So your selling a 3GS for the same price as a new iP4?

Riiiiiiight

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yeah good luck with that whole failed plan you got there.
    And then you woke up :D
    BTW, you can remove the data plan on the 2G.
    Its just the 3G, 3GS and i4 that they wont allow it with no data.

7. fs454 macrumors 65816

8. Kill454 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, well I looked and they sell pretty well (around 450ish usually), but I just need to sell it higher than 250 and I'm good.

@AppleJuiced, I'm pretty sure you need a $20 unlimited edge data plan with the 2g, unless you are talking about something different

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I sold my mint condition 3GS for $375 unlocked and JB on 4.0 with box and everything.
    Check out some other auctions and see what they go for and prepair for reality. You wont get anywhere near $500-600 for a used 3GS.
    About the data they do require the $20 for the 2G but if you call them after I heard they will remove the data plan from your account unlike all other iphones where you cannot remove it currently.
    I heard some people where able to do it succesfully.

10. Kill454 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'd rather be completely invisible from at&t, and not risk the idea you mentioned. You see, I originally had my iPhone 3gs without a data plan using the simple call and remove method, then put ur sim back into ur iphone, but after a month at&t added the plan. I don't want to pay for any data plan I'm not going to use, even if its $15 a month. All I want is an iPhone I can text and browse the internet on with Wifi. I will happily downgrade an iPhone 2G's firmware to use ZiPhone to change the IMEI (I dont care if it's illegal), so I can use it for my needs. I just need to know if I'm wasting my time with that strategy, so if anyone has ever used ZiPhone before, PLEASE RESPOND.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You're wasting your time.
    You will not be able to get it down to 1.0.1 or 1.1 to get ziphone to work and change the imei.
    You will need to find many 4 year old tools that are not even available any more, itunes versions and even then it wont allow you to go that low and you are also risking permanently bricking the 2G.
    You can also get a prepaid gophone sim to use with the 2G with no data plan.
    But if you want to give it a shot, best of luck.

12. Kill454 thread starter macrumors newbie

*sigh* I don't really know what to do then, I just want a smartphone without a data plan, preferably an iPhone. So there is no way or work around at all? Whatever, I won't give up though, I will post on other forums, research, etc.

13. JordanZimm macrumors newbie

JordanZimm

if you only plan to use wifi then buy an ipod touch. you dont have to worry about data and you can get a new one and still jailbreak

EDIT: with vontage or skype you can give the iTouch calling capability, and there are plenty of texting apps on the appstore and cydia

14. Kill454 thread starter macrumors newbie

I could, but I already have an AT&T line, and I like the convenience of texting/calling with my own personal phone # wherever I am, I just don't need to access the internet wherever I am -_-

Does anyone know if I could buy an unlocked, non-at&t smartphone with GSM, and pop my sim in it??

EDIT: Wow, well I guess people like me are out there, and there's a tutorial as well, perfect..
    http://homeofmagic.com/tutorial/

You doubters... wish me luck..

15. illutionz macrumors 65816

The 3GS selling for that price is usually the factory unlocked ones.... Fake unlock is usually 100-200 lower than that

16. Psant macrumors regular

Can't you just go to unlockit.co.nz and add a fakeapn? Will AT&T still detect that?

17. Kill454 thread starter macrumors newbie

nope, it's all about the IMEI #, which is linked to your phone model and is sent to AT&T everytime you make a call. Luckily it's not directly linked to the phone hardware :)