Back-up Pre-installed Mac Apps

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by remybrooks, Dec 14, 2011.

1. remybrooks macrumors member

Im doing a clean install of Lion and I'm backing all my data up first. With non-mac apps I could just find the .dmg/zip but can I drag and drop mac apps e.g :iPhoto, iTunes, Preview into My hard drive.
    If I can't drag and drop ilife 10 could i partition my hard drive before the install then once a clean install of Lion is on my computer drag ilife apps into my Lion Partition?
    Thanks tons.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

I don't want to backup everything on my dive though. Only some files and Apps. The apple link is broken.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can selectively backup or restore with CCC. The link is good. Keep trying. You may need to clear your cache and cookies.
    ScreenCap 6.PNG

5. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

So If I just tell it to backup some of my Ilife and other mac apps It will completely back them up?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You have to remember that if you're backing up installed apps, they also have files/folders in other areas, beyond just the .app file. Most critical is the /Library and ~/Library folder.

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

How did you originally get iLife on your Mac? If it came preinstalled, you should be able to use the OS Recovery DVDs that came with your Mac to just reinstall iLife (after Lion has finished installing). AFAIK, there is no easy way to "drag 'n drop" iLife apps (for backups/restores).

And how are you backing up your user data?

8. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

Thats what I was going to do (recovery HD link). Boot up lion on A partitioned External Hard Drive then install Lion on my Mac via Hard Drive.

I don't understand why I would use that application when I have to go to Library and find the rest of an apps files. I would have to do that anyway.

I could see the advantage if you just told Carbon Copy the app and it went into Library and found all the other files for you but from what I understand that is not the case.
    Am I missing something?

9. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

How do I Back Up MAC apps for Clean Install of Lion?

I wondering how to Back Up Apps that came with my mac. e.g : Safari, iTunes, Preview. Note: I lost my all my discs. Also, how to backup I life apps.

10. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

Clone the drive. If you're worried that the volume has some kind of corruption issue, then you wouldn't want to back them up from there regardless. All of these can be downloaded anyway from the app store.

11. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

Everything is running slow. I think I might have some corruption or my Mac is just having a fit because of a few bad cracks/torrents..... ANYWAY!
    You have to pay for ilife and Other Mac apps e.g.: Mail, Safari, iTunes, Preview are not available on the app store.
    I don't want to Clone! Im backing all of the stuff I want manually

12. VPrime macrumors 68000

VPrime

Safari, iTunes, preview ae installed part of lion.
    only iLife stuff requires a separate install. (iMovie, GarageBand, iphoto etc..)

13. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

You don't walk, but run, to the nearest shop and buy an external hard drive. You plug it in, then you start Time Machine. Not having a backup is close to criminal negligence.

14. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

I don't need to walk, nor run. I have 4 Hard Drives sitting next to my computer right now... Everything is backed up on my Hard Drives except for my Mac apps. Time machine isn't for me as I have a specific work flow for my RAW photos.

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I have also noticed lately links from here to Apple KB articles come up with a blank page with you click the link, then if you refresh the Apple KB page the article is there. I don't know if it is a problem with Apple, or the way links are followed from Mac Rumors?

16. aristobrat macrumors G4

IMO, using Carbon Copy Cloner (or SuperDuper!) to make a full, bootable image of your system to an external drive is just good insurance to do before you erase your Mac's HDD and reinstall everything.

If you manually back up your system to an external (by dragging what you think is important), you may miss something, in which case you're almost always SOL by the time you remember.

I don't know of any easy way to manually move iLife applications. You're probably better of reinstalling them from scratch (from your restore DVDs).

17. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

Couldn't I just use Time Machine for that? Or do I get more control over my backup with Carbon Copy Cloner. I lost my iLife discs otherwise I would definitely backup from them

18. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Time Machine can't make bootable backups.

19. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

I really don't think I need it. I have backed up all my Music, Mail, iPhoto Library's. I'm making two backups of my Photos (work photos) on hard drives and I only had a few documents I needed. My computer has a lot of junk on it and if I Clone it I'm going to be cloning all the stuff I want to get rid of.

20. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG]This is what came up when I tried to clone Garage Band, iPhoto and iMovie... I think I just found where can get the rest of those ilife files:D

21. aristobrat macrumors G4

Yeah, if your Time Machine backup is up-to-date, and you don't need to boot from an external drive, you should be good.

Did you have a separate iLife '11 DVD? I guess your computer orig. came with iLife '09 and you bought the upgrade.

Sounds like you have it under control. :)

22. remybrooks thread starter macrumors member

Sorry that picture didn't work. It was a screen shot of Carbon Copy Cloner. Do you know how to upload a photo for a post?
    Anyway, I didn't buy iLife '11. I found all the other components to the Ilife apps throughout the computer using Carbon Copy Cloner. I think iLife is now successfully on my External Hard Dive... but we will just have to wait and see after the clean install.
    I don't think I will miss anything, Im being very thorough.;)