Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Backbone today announced the release of a new PlayStation Edition of its popular game controller for the iPhone. There is also a new dedicated section inside the Backbone app for iOS with new releases and updates from PlayStation.

Backbone-PlayStation-Controller-1.jpg

The new controller was created in partnership with Sony and inspired by the design of the PS5's wireless DualSense controller, including transparent button faces. The controller is priced at $99.99 in the United States and is available to order starting today in a white color matching the PS5 console, in addition to a black option.

Backbone says the controller is compatible with all iPhones, with an adapter included in the box for the iPhone 13 Pro and iPhone 13 Pro Max. Users can simply snap an iPhone into the controller and begin playing PlayStation games via the PS Remote Play app, or games on the App Store, Apple Arcade, Xbox Remote Play, and more.

Backbone-PlayStation-Controller-2.jpg

The controller connects to and is charged by the iPhone via Lightning, and there is an additional Lightning connector for pass-through charging. The controller also has a 3.5mm headphone jack, a button for capturing screenshots and game clips, and a button to open the Backbone app. The controller can be collapsed/folded when not being used.

Customers who purchase the Backbone One PlayStation Edition controller can receive some perks, such as a free one-month subscription to Apple Arcade if they have not already subscribed to the service, along with three months of Discord Nitro for free and more.

iPhones have already supported PS5 DualSense and Xbox Series X/S controllers via Bluetooth since the release of iOS 14.5 last year.

Article Link: Backbone Releases PlayStation Edition Game Controller for iPhone

Last edited:

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
Neat. I really love the Backbone and the comfort of it, and a partnership like this sounds very interesting.

I use Remote Play almost daily, both at home and over 4G and it works like a charm for me. Very tempted to get one of these.

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
This is my issue. 1 gig fiber/ethernet and still get stuttering and enough input delay that I can't play MLB The Show with it.
Ya that is problematic. Something like Stray would be a great remote play game, but fast reaction games are really unplayable.

This is why I'd like to see PS+ Premium gain iOS support.

Reactions: Maclver

JCCL

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2010
Remote play works great for me. Admittedly I'd never play an online game via remote play as there is some input lag.
Interesting. Last time I did remote play to my PS5 from my wife's iPad, I was able to play Ghost of Tsushima remotely in our beach house 300KM from home and it was completely playable, I could even parry just fine.

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
if only we had emulators in the AppStore.. until then, I will just keep toting this:

View attachment 2035628

You're welcome

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
The Digital Markets Act is law now so soon Apple will be forced to enable sideloading in the coming year. Once that happens you'll get your wish for emulators on iPhone

or play one right now

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2020

You're welcome

no thanks, my point was the AppStore. I am already sideloading emulators like Delta (snes/gb/gba/nes) and Providence (PSX and Genesis) from the AltStore.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shirasaki

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022

or play one right now
Nah I'd rather just wait for sideloading to be forced in so I can get native performance. In the meantime if I want to emulate on the go I'll use my Steam Deck.

Reactions: Shirasaki
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.