Backing Up 360 Game Saves

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Huntn, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

It would be really nice if you could back up your XBox 360 game saves. Can you and do you have to pay for some kind of XBox Live storage?

I was thinking I would not be happy if my 360 fried taking all the saves with it
    Thanks!

2. theITGuy macrumors 6502a

theITGuy

3. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

4. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Are your saves not on the HDD which is external anyway ? If your machine fries you still have the HDD.:confused:

5. rezenclowd3 macrumors 6502a

rezenclowd3

Undoing the work of Priuses: burning gas & rubber
    And what then if the HDD goes kaput? This is why I always backup, but only letting users backup to the small 512MB units just blows, especially at the price it is sold at.

And don't get me started about game saves that are locked and can't be copied.:mad: (cough cough Demon's Souls on PS3) At least all the saves I want on the 360 can be copied.

6. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I had a Best Buy service plan on mine and I had to have it replaced and they told me I would not be able to keep my hardrive. I freaked out on them and convinced them to let me keep it. I really wish there was a way to back hard drives up.

7. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Everything on my 360 including the hard drive is internal and hard drives are known to fry too don't ya know. ;)

And were you able to swap hard drives once you got the new one home to save your data? Or did they insist on doing it?

8. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I did it right there in front of them. I opened the new 360 they gave me and gave them the empty drive out of the new box and kept my old one. It did take some convincing though as it's not usually allowed even though there is no "official" policy regarding the 360 hard drives.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Could this have been done at home so you could keep the new drive, in case the old one goes kaput?

10. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

I got my memory unit in the mail and I'm all backed up. Thanks all. :)

11. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Can't you use a USB thumb drive now to back up game saves?

12. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Not sure. I remember reading online about some gamers complaining because at one point MS did something that prevented 3rd party memory devices from working on the 360. Don't know if that has been corrected or not.

13. SevenInchScrew macrumors 6502a

SevenInchScrew

Yes, this has been changed. With the system update that happened a couple months ago, they are now allowing you to use any USB device to store stuff on. So, any old flash drive or old USB hard drive will work. They limit it to 16GB of storage though, so even if you use a 2TB drive, it will only allow you to allocate 16GB for Xbox use.

Plug the device in, and then go to the "System Settings" section on the Xbox. Now go to "Memory" and you should see the device you just plugged in. When you select it, it will ask if you want to configure it for Xbox use. It will then give you a slider so you can choose how much space to allocate, again, up to 16GB. Then it will run a check to make sure the drive is capable, and then it will format it. At that point it will just show up in the list of available "Memory Units" on the Xbox.

I have done this with an old 2GB flash drive I had laying around. I elected to use all of it, and after it was formatted, it showed an available 1.4GB of space. I then just copied all my game saves from my Elite's 120GB drive over there. That way, if my HDD were to ever fail, I at least have all of my saves backed up. The only issue I had doing this was that 2 of my games (Forza 2 & 3) wouldn't let me "copy" their save, they would only let me "move" them. I'm not sure why they wouldn't allow this, but since they aren't games that I play regularly now, so I just moved them anyway.

Overall, the process is very simple, and works exactly like it should. Plug a drive in, format it, and use it as you would any other storage device. It works very well.

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn