Backing Up Apps To New MBP (6s Prep)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cuniac, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

So I'm trying to backup my iPhone apps to a new MBP, but when i select Transfer Purchases it moves my music and videos but not my apps. How can I get my iPhones Apps to backup to my Mac?

2. kahuna2793 macrumors newbie

You don't want your apps to back up it will use all your hard rive.
    I deleted all my backed up apps and free up 70gb of hard drive space.

3. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I'm trying to back it up for a faster restore when I get my 6s in a week. I don't care how much data it will use

4. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

ITunes should do a complete backup, including apps

5. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

6. Azzin macrumors 68040

I backup to iCloud every night, but I'm considering doing a one time manual backup to my MacBook Pro, as I'm hoping it will make for a quicker restore (as it has 16GB of RAM and a fast SSD).

I've got fast broadband (152Mb) and AC wireless, but restoring over a physical cable from my MBP has got to be faster.

Hasn't it? :eek:

7. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

If you have an Apple Watch make sure your backup is encrypted or your health data will not be included.

8. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Much faster using Restore Backup in Itunes

9. Azzin macrumors 68040

I do have a Watch, so thanks for the heads up.

10. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Simply go into iTunes and click on devices to look at your iPhone. Make sure This computer and Encrypt iPhone Backup are checked.

Then hit the Back Up Now button and you will see the backup under Latest Backup. Whatever date/time shown before 'to this computer' will be a mirror of your iPhone at that time.

[​IMG]

11. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

iCloud is GREAT for an insurance backup. However when it comes to restoring a new iPhone, iTunes backup is many times faster. Especially on launch day. Also doesn't count against your data cap if you have one.

12. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I've always wondered if it isn't a bit redundant to select "this computer", then hit the "backup now" button. Wouldn't it backup to your computer anyway, since that's what the backup now button is for? So, as long as you check the encryption box, then backup you should be fine.

13. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Yes, but since the OP was struggling to understand, figured it is less ambiguous to see the 'This computer' button checked.

Also this post reminded me to do my weekly iTunes backup. I checked it off my Reminders yesterday without completing (daydreaming I was getting my 6S early maybe:D).

14. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did this, and it is doing a back up. However, its not moving over my Apps to my MBP. It seems similar to what it does with iCloud. I'm trying to get it to move the apps to my MBP so it will install them faster when I get the 6s :(

15. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

In iTunes menu: View: Apps (command 7 shortcut) and what do you see?

16. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I also feel like my apps don't back up. For example if i sync or back up my phone and there is an app I've updated on my phone and not my macbook, my mac doesnt transfer the update over. Normal?

17. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

....and when you view apps like I said in my post #15 you don't see any apps?

18. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I see all my apps. But my phone is up to date with all updated, and my mac doesnt transfer them, i have to update via macbook for them to be up to date.

19. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

If you see them then they ARE there. If they need updating, they will say so (see pic). Just update them. If not when you Restore the Apps will update at the time of the Restore if they are not up to date. Worst case is you will need to update them later on your iPhone. However your new iPhone will be a mirror of your current iPhone and will NOT be missing apps.

The Apps are on iTunes if you backup.

[​IMG]

20. bmms8 macrumors 68020

I appreciate that and i see that, but i thought the apps would update when i back up my phone as they are updated. Unless I'm mistaken? Thanks for the help

21. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its empty, nothing listed in MyApps. Also the backup file size is only 9.26GB when my applications alone are 46.63GB so I know its not in the file. I just don't know how to move the apps them self over.

22. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It's a backup folder and not a file. Also Apps are not stored in the backup folder. Where are you seeing your backup folder info size?

23. Cuniac thread starter macrumors 6502a

I was referring to the backup folder as just a side note. Right clicked on the back up in preferences and did a show in finder. I ended up just viewing my purchases and doing a download all. so 4 hours and 800apps from now they will all be there lol. now just comes the wait to see if it will restore them from my mac or trigger it to download from the cloud.

24. marf1million macrumors regular

25. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010