Backing Up iTunes for Restore: No Time Machine

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Saladsamurai, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Saladsamurai macrumors regular

I have searched this, but I am not sure which answer is the best for this. I would like erase my hard drive and restore OSX. I then want to restore my iTunes library with as little headache as possible. I do not want to use Time Machine. I just want to make sure my iTunes will retain all of my music and still sync with my iPhone properly.

Any help is appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

Along with the iTunes folder, you may also want to copy your iTunes preferences (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist) file to have everything set up the same.

If you have created custom equalizer settings in iTunes then also grab (~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.iTunes.eq.plist).

4. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Hi thanks guys! What about my iPhone? Will it still synch with iTunes when I erase and reinstall? Or do I need to do something to prepare for that as well?

5. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Why don't you want to use Time Machine :eek:

6. Saladsamurai thread starter macrumors regular

Whenever I use TM, I have always had problems. I have never tried it by selecting the "data only" option (or whatever it is called). Have you? I would assume that my iTunes library is considered "Data" but I could also see Apple considering it part of an "Application" so I am not sure if by selecting "data only" I would actually recover my music, videos, apps,etc.

7. ShinyDren macrumors member

ShinyDren

Sorry I do not have definite info about how seamless it would be on the iPhone. But one thing to make sure is to authorize the computer (in iTunes) after the new install and everything is restored (before plugging in the iPhone). This may (or may not) make it keep everything as it was.

To be on the safe side you should do a backup of the phone in iTunes just before starting the process. Copy the backup from the (~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup) folder. Then you can restore from that if needed.

Hope that helps some.