Backlight Bleed and Uniformity Issues with the iPad 3

Discussion in 'iPad' started by earthforge, Mar 18, 2012.

1. earthforge macrumors newbie

Read about a number of users with display issues, either backlight bleeding, or some kind of tint. Unfortunately I have BOTH !!

1. Red Tint
    As you can see, there is a reddish patch on the top left and a little less pronounce red patch in the bottom right.

2. Backlight Bleed
    Left edges and left bottom.

I went through a couple of iPad 2s with the backlight bleed issue and ended up just returning the last one in frustration and in hope I wait it out and wait for for the iPad 3. Never had such issue with the iPad 1. THis is really quite disappointing.

Picture attached. Any others with similar issues (the red tint seem to be less prevalent as compared to the yellow tint)?

Debating on whether I should have it exchanged. Fear of getting another dud. Any feedback?

Attached Files:

2. catalyst6 macrumors 6502a

catalyst6

Return that. Your screen is legitimately defective, unlike most on this forum.

3. ArztMac macrumors regular

ArztMac

Like "most" on this forum? Are you even serious? Or is this some sort of level?

4. ZipZap macrumors 601

What are you doing to the iPad to even be able to see those issues.

5. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

you can block off the camera and take an empty picture.

then turn up the brightness

view the picture in a darkened room

evaluate

snap a picture and post it here

6. earthforge thread starter macrumors newbie

Nothing special, just get a black image. Open it up with Photos. Then take a photo in a darkened room. If there is an issue with your display, should be fairly evident.

7. powerslave12r macrumors 6502

This is mine, what do you guys think?

Black photo in a completely dark room.

100% black.
    [​IMG]

75% black.
    [​IMG]

100% white
    [​IMG]

Interesting.

8. Tmurray315 macrumors regular

heres some of my pics i took with my 4s last night this is my second ipad already both has the bleeding tell me you guys think

Attached Files:

9. ProMod macrumors 6502a

Lucky.

10. earthforge thread starter macrumors newbie

There is a little, but not obvious at 75% brightness. You may want to consider keeping yours.

11. Jason S. macrumors 6502a

I have the same problem, but it doesn't appear to be as bad. (Ignore the lines running down the screen; it's from my iPhone's camera.)

I actually can notice it during regular use. It makes the on-screen keyboard look as if half of it is a different color. On webpages, it is annoying as well.

I also have a yellow gradient running down the left side, which I believe is due to some bleeding. But the red is what bothers me the most. Really kills the experience for me.

The fact that this red tint is originating from the same place on both our iPads, and some others that I saw posted on the forum, makes me wonder what exactly could be causing it. What is in that corner of the iPad that emits such a harsh red tint? I don't know. But I hope the replacement that Apple is sending me is much better.

Attached Files:

12. It'sMyPrecious macrumors regular

Mine is like this (100% brightness, black image on screen, photo taken with my iPhone 4s):

[​IMG]

What do you guys think? I'm new to iPads and this is my first iPad...I opened it only two hours ago so I haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it.

13. EarlZ macrumors regular

I think what he means is that under what use would you do to be able to see those issues.

From what I can tell with your images, the backlight bleed is pretty bad and its gonna be pretty obvious if you watch a lot of movies in letterbox format and the top right corner will show in whatever you will do, which includes opening websites with white content.

14. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

ahhhhh, not the first time I have been off on another tangent.

thank you for steering back on course.

15. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

so how often do you guys use it on 100% brightness in a closet? :D

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

I hate to say this but it's a somewhat logical means of testing. It's like when you stress test a computer. The computer won't be running that hard day to day (most likely), but it is a way of searching for potential defects.

All backlights have a half life meaning that later in its life, you would need to run it at a higher brightness setting than early on. Sometimes underlying issues become more prevalent as it ages, but it depends on the display. I have no idea with the ipad. I like the device, but I didn't have enough use for one, and I don't like buying things that I'm unlikely to use.

17. swampystorm macrumors newbie

I have a similar red tint in the top left corner.

Turn your iPad so it is with the charging port nearest your face and you are looking under the glass where the iSight and face time cameras are.

On my iPad I can see a white light shining through what looks like should be a seal.

Can you guys see this too? Could be causing the tint??

18. danielxute macrumors member

If thats the only problem yours has i would keep it. I already have one with a dent, one with a bunch of dust, one with a bunch of dead pixels, then I got one with this same problem but it had a non-yellow screen, returned that and the one I have now is yellow and has a dead pixel. I might just give up. Wish I kept the one with just light bleed though.

19. iphone1105 macrumors 68020

iphone1105

I got my iPad so I can sit in a dark room staring at light bleed. It's the hip thing to do.;)

Just return it, exchange, simple enough. Most of all enjoy it, don't sit in dark rooms with it.

20. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

oh god, it's these posts again?

i thought unnecessarily turning up the brightness in a pitch black room (where you'd only need around 40%) looking at an entirely black screen (which you never would) with no movement whatsoever (which would be something you'd actually be looking at, distracting you from the screen edges) was so 2011 :/

plenty of iPads have light bleed, some more, some less. Irrelevant during normal usage. But then again, ... i'm not a "black static image in pitch black darkness" connaisseur. :(

don't take pictures of it, USE it ...
    also, your carpet has nasty red tint, maybe go get that exchanged too.

21. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

ive never stress tested a pc either and ive worked in IT for 30 years! :D

22. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

You still got my point though. Issues can pop up with displays over time, so I don't entirely blame them for being picky when they first get it. Displays in general though just aren't 100% consistent. I've looked at so many of them, and they all have their issues. It's just a matter of how pronounced. Also the guys that are testing their displays in dark rooms probably thought they saw something initially, then wished to verify it without the possibility of contamination from ambient lighting.

23. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Just wait about 5 days and do another exchange or return it and wait for the next batch.
    Don't lower your standards or expectations because some are saying these issues are acceptable.

For a $500+ premium device, I would expect nothing less than something that meets your standards, not below them.

24. bawbac macrumors 65816

bawbac

Yes.
    If it's defective, they have to replace it.

25. powerslave12r macrumors 6502

So how generous is Apple about accepting that these complaints about backlight bleed/tint are actual defects?