Backlight on Black Screen with MacBook Pro 2016 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ilhan The Man, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Ilhan The Man macrumors newbie

Ilhan The Man

Hello,

I've picked up a MacBook Pro 15" (2016) and would like to know if my experience of the display is the same as other owners.

When I use the app Screen Utility (available in the App Store for free) to see a fully black background in a dark room, and turn the brightness up on the display, I can see a noticeable (but uniform) glow of light coming from the entire display. It's far less noticeable when I put the display to 50-60% brightness (and even more less noticeable below that), but ramps up with any movement above the 50-60% level.

I know these displays are not OLED, so I shouldn't expect pitch black blacks, but is it normal that this screen's glow on a full black screen is very noticeable (especially at 75%+ brightness)? I hope I don't have some sort of backlight bleeding that is washing out my colours on this display.

Furthermore, when I take a picture of the display in a dark room, it looks like a rectangle of grey on an otherwise largely black picture (except for the keyboard backlight).

Thanks for your feedback,
    Ilhan

2. Eason85 macrumors member

Eason85

3. Ilhan The Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Ilhan The Man

Looks something like this at 75%. Brighter at 100%, but I think the camera's exposure over-represents that so I'll share this as a more representative picture.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2017 ---
    Here is 100% brightness. Might as well share that too. Again, the camera is exaggerating it a bit since it doesn't look the same to my eyes as in the picture. Taken on iPhone 6 in a dark room.

Attached Files:

4. Eason85 macrumors member

Eason85

Is that a black background and a white background? The lighting looks quite even, very good. If the second one is black background... That's weird, I don't know what is up with that

5. jerryk macrumors 68030

That looks normal. The new screens are brighter than the old ones. So in a dark room the display looks really lite up. Set it back to 70% and you have max brightness of the older units.

6. Ilhan The Man thread starter macrumors newbie

Ilhan The Man

Black background with brightness up to 100%. I suppose the best way to tell if yours is the same would be to take a picture of yours with an iPhone 6 in a dark dark room and compare.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 26, 2017 ---
    That's what I was thinking might be the case as well. Do you have the same laptop?

7. jerryk macrumors 68030

I have a 2015, not a 2016. But I have used a friend's 2016 and immediately notice how bright the screen got.

When you put them side by side, the max brightness difference is quite noticeable. I have never felt the 2015 unit did not get bright enough, but being able to go brighter could help in bright rooms or outside.