Backlight on MacBook Keyboards

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sine-nomine, Feb 8, 2009.

1. sine-nomine macrumors regular

I know that the base 2.0GHz MacBooks do not feature the backlit keyboards of the higher-end models, but I was wondering if the actual backlight is physically in these lower-end models and just disabled in firmware or software? Or is it missing entirely?

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

It's actually missing. You can tell this without opening the case, as the lettering is painted on the lower end Macbooks, whereas it's some sort of white translucent plastic on the high end ones. ;)

3. sine-nomine thread starter macrumors regular

4. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Really? I've always thought otherwise, because if I turn the caps lock key on on my 2.0 macbook, it illuminates the words "caps lock".

Attached Files:

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Caps Lock key is the exception.

6. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

If that were the case, people would have been hacking it like crazy by now!

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Or adding in their own flashing lights, and possibly fake bullet holes and spinners.

8. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

No, they're translucent. Just the LED grid is missing.

9. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

The lettering on the keys are actually transparent, that's why when the little dot lights up green you can see it on the entire key.

10. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

Dont flame me please, im just curious. Is the illuminated keyboard worth it?

11. InkMaster macrumors 6502a

Do you need it?

I have a MacBook Pro and while it definitely is pretty to look at... well--- I don't look at my keyboard while typing so its there mostly for show/eye candy :)

12. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

It was worth it for me, but I use my MacBook frequently in low light situations. If you're going to use it a lot in rooms with the lights on with the occasional dark room it's not really worth it.

13. HazRutter macrumors regular

HazRutter

Yeah thats what I thought, cos I never really look at the keyboard.

Oh ok, fair enough. Thanks!

14. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a

tjcampbell

It's the one thing I miss since switching from MBP to a BlackBook. I think it should be standard, then again so should FireWire, but as much as I love apple, they are clever at forcing consumers into more expensive products.

15. acfusion29 macrumors 68040

acfusion29

Or you can just learn how to type and save yourself a couple hundred bucks! :rolleyes:

16. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

Really? I'm not so sure. I've just sat with a laser pen shining it through the keys on my fathers Alu Macbook 2.0 and the light doesn't seem to be going through the keys. On the other hand, when I shine it through the keys on my Alu Macbook 2.4 there is some light going through to the other side.

Anyhow, I think it's a pretty redundant feature anyway, as unless someone is learning to type they shouldn't be needing to look at a keyboard. And considering who the high end notebooks are aimed toward, it seems silly to have them there. :rolleyes:

17. valiechemicalie macrumors member

I have the 2,4 and when the backlight is not on i miss it, but i think if you have never had the backlight you will not miss it

18. seb-opp macrumors 6502

all keyboards do that

19. GlenL macrumors member

For me, it's mainly a "That's cool!!" feature. I seldom type in the dark, although I could see it coming in handy if using it in bed while the significant other is sleeping.

20. marvel2 macrumors 6502

What is redundant about it?

21. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

so true

Very true LOL , but if im going to pay $1599 for a MB i might as well drop another $400 to get the pro. I mean seriously whats another $400 bucks.:p

22. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

Well I have a previous gen MBP, and I ove the lighted keyboard. I really miss it when I use other peoples windows laptops.

I want to replace my current my with a base MB. i feel it has all that I need and saves my a lot of $, but the lack of the lighted keyboard is holding me back. I could get a 2.4ghz, but it is priced so close to the MBP, that I might just get it.

Perhaps apple will eventually include it on all of the MB. In any case I am not getting my new mac until dic this year. By then, maybe Snow Leopard is released and Apple has updated the MB line to include a lighted keyboard on all of its macs.... If not, I wil have to save more for the $1599 one.

23. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I could've done that, but i just really wanted the portability of a 13 inch. I came down from a 15 inch and don't miss it at all.
    and I LOVE the backlit keys, it's just easy to work with, and you don't have to look for the volume keys or anything like that.. its all just there!

24. hdsalinas macrumors 6502

hdsalinas

How was the switch. I have MBP and want to replace it with a MB.

How is the screen compared to the bigger one? (not just size, but color quality)

25. gixxerredliner macrumors regular

gixxerredliner

Hmmm

So the glossy screen doesn't bother you Sir?