Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
Very basic needs here,

I do most care about my photography library, the database being on the computer and the archive being on an external drive, a second external drive backups the first one and also the computer's library, when I delete or change names etc on the main archive I need the software to delete and update on the backup too, very easy.

I used to use a free license of Intego BackUp Manager Pro given with the LaCie products but I can't seem to find it any longer and as such am in need to look for an alternative solution to do what I used to do as described above, any suggestion?

Thanks

cruisin

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2014
Canada
You can use the built in Time Machine (but it backs up everything so you would need to trim down the folders it backs up). Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper have more options and are the typical choices if Time Machine doesn't do everything you want.

jgrove

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2006
Hi,

I backup my library every so often to a NAS, and also a copy to a spare hard drive. You can use CCC or SuperDuper to do that.

chscag

macrumors 601
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
I fully agree with the others. Carbon Copy Cloner is what I use. It even has an option called "Safety Net" where it will keep old versions of files that have been overwritten or replaced by newer ones. And if your internal drive is formatted to APFS, CCC makes Snapshots and saves them for you. Use it in conjunction with Time Machine.

Lioness~

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2017
Sweden
CCC is great, as everyone here knows.

I also use Time Machine, and Chronsync (no backup but a syncing app)
Good to have many backups, clones, and your files synced over disks

Giuanniello

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 21, 2012
Capri - Italy
First and foremost thank you all!!!

Now, since it seems CCC being the one you all think being eligible can it sync folders like I have one onto drive A and back it on drive B, then I either delete/modify files from A which I want being deleted from B too, does it do that?

I guess it does, the free Intego software used to do it and so far seems like a very basic option but just to make sure...

Grazie

jdelgado

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Chile
First and foremost thank you all!!!

Now, since it seems CCC being the one you all think being eligible can it sync folders like I have one onto drive A and back it on drive B, then I either delete/modify files from A which I want being deleted from B too, does it do that?

Grazie

I use Chronosync for backup and syncing.

I also use CCC, but for having an image ready to go in case my computer fails.

Reactions: Giuanniello
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.