Backwards Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by marine610610, Apr 9, 2007.

1. marine610610 macrumors regular

Being new to Macs and all i was wondering how backwards compatible they stay? With a PC if you are running one that came with Windows 2000 you probably arent going to be happy running Vista. Does that mindset generally apply to Mac OS's? I do see a lot of people on here running older Macs....

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

You mean using an old Mac to run the most recent version of OS X? Yeah you can get away with that just fine unless you step into the realm of the late G3's and early G4's. At that generation of Mac you'll start having to deal with slowdowns due to slower processors.

But if you're new to Mac then you probably don't have those worries.

3. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

I know that nobody here can possibly know all the features leopard will hold, but i was just wondering if i could anticipate a slowdown like that with a new MBP.

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Absolutely not.

5. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I second that.

6. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It's likely you will see improved performance.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

From 10.0 -> 10.1 -> 10.2 -> 10.3 -> 10.4, each version has become faster on the same hardware, as long as you have enough RAM.

8. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

yes

i have a 1ghz G4 EMac with 512ram and it still going well with tiger( and it came with jaguar) now my moms mac pro 8 core 3ghz is on the way with 4gigs of ram!

9. sxl95 macrumors member

You probably will not have any problems with using new(er) software on older hardware. I run Tiger on a G3 iBook. The ram is maxed out at 640mb, and while fairly slow, the machine is still very usable. If only the hard drive was larger...

On the other hand, older software may not run on newer hardware. Unlike Microsoft, who seems to support old APIs forever, an Intel Mac will not run ancient (Classic) software (even in Rosetta). I assume that is one of the reasons Windows has so many problems. Having to support software that is over 20 years old doesn't seem like something that would make an OS very efficient. (I still play games 10+ years old on Windows XP).

-Sam

10. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

This has been the case for me and I have a 1.25Ghz PowerBook. Personally, I can't wait to put Leopard on my machine and I expect the same level of performance (if not slightly better).

11. marine610610 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I can only assume Apple works to make their software more efficent each time, which is why older Macs still run new software like a champ.