Bad Apple Store Experience

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by cudafish, May 25, 2012.

1. cudafish macrumors member

Broken Digitizer.

Just for the heck of it I took my iPad to the Apple Store. I told the geek the truth and was told there is nothing he could do. This is after already buying 6 iPads a Mac Book Pro and an Iphone in the past. So much for the great Apple Store stories. My experience at the store was not what I expected. I will defiantly rethink any future Apple purchases.

2. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

j.dstasio

If you break your iPad you are eligible for a replacement refurbished phone at far less than paying full retail. Usually an out of warranty replacement is $299 I think. you may want to call and ask. I'd say that's pretty admirable of a company.

If I wreck my car, I can't drive it to the Land Rover dealer and expect them to just give me a new one. Why should Apple be any different? From time to time they do bend the rules and make exceptions, but that's what it is, an exception not something that should be expected.

3. DollaTwentyFive macrumors 6502a

So.....if you break your iPad, they should just give you a new one?

I actually had this happen when I broke the screen on the 2. But they have since stopped that. Probably with good reason. I assume it became too expensive.

This is why there is AppleCare+ and/or insurance.

I dropped my new iPad a few weeks after I purchased it. Fortunately I had protection for it. Digitizer replaced. No cost to me. Nobody likes to buy insurance but most people like buying a replacement even less.

4. cudafish, May 25, 2012
    Last edited: May 25, 2012

cudafish thread starter macrumors member

Yes they should. I have friends who drop iPhones in water and Apple replaced the phones. I had a friend with a cracked iPad like mine and it was replaced. I never tried this before never tried to return a broken item. Like I said after buying 6 ipads, Mac Book Pro,3 Iphone,2 iPod touch 2 Ipod nano"s. I think something should have been for a loyal Apple customer. You can have your opinion I'll have mine. I'll definitely reconsider buying an Apple product again. (A Range Rover is $60,000 $70,000 and Ipad probably cost a few hundred to make. Not a good comparison

5. astrorider macrumors 6502

No good deed goes unpunished. If Apple had never given replacements for out of warranty and/or accidentally damaged devices (like most every other company), would you still be reconsidering future Apple products?

6. iDuel macrumors 6502a

iDuel

What your friends expirenced was an unwritten custom that Apple Store employees may take part in from time to time.

Good luck with any other manufacturer, they will tell you bluntly that you will have to pay for a new device instead of charging a repair fee.

7. cudafish thread starter macrumors member

I would be fine with there choice not to help me out. In other words if I knew that Apple never replaces a product due to customer negligence. If I never heard or read about many situations where Apple so called DID THE RIGHT THING I would be fine and have no hard feelings. I wouldn't have wasted my time and there time. But to selectively DO THE RIGHT THING is a bad practice and I feel will hurt Apple. I know they really do not care about one customer (me) but when all the one customers start adding up, then they might. In the mean time this one customer is finished with Apple.

8. johnparjr macrumors 6502a

johnparjr

A little feeling of self entitlement you broke its your responsibility not Apples quit whining and man up. Geezus people take responsibility for your actions its not anyones problem but your own.

9. BiigBiscuit macrumors member

That's if his friends were our of warranty.

OP, we're your friends in warranty/have AC+? Or maybe purchased a replacement for the discounted price?

10. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

This topic reeks of a 12 year olds entitlement.

11. Azzin macrumors 68040

No you won't.

12. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

Please do.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Am I correct in understanding this thread.

The OP broke his screen/digitizer and expected apple to replace it. Because they didn't he considers that poor customer support and will not buy another apple product?

While I will say in the name of great customer support apple has replaced iPhones (and iPads?) when damaged by the owner. Its a rare occasion and its usually done by the manager, not by procedures imposed by apple corp.

I'm sorry but if I damaged something I bought, I don't expect (nor would I ask) if the manufacturer to replace it for free because of my clumsiness or accident

14. Ricky Smith macrumors regular

You didn't upset anyone the adults are just pointing out anything a logical mature person would think.

15. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Op it's ashame you were never smart enough to purchase insurance.

Apple will fix/replace devices polices have changed tho!

16. cudafish thread starter macrumors member

Smart enough for insurance. What part of I FIXED IT MYSELF FOR $40.00
    did you not understand. Next time read other postings.

17. aziatiklover macrumors 68030

aziatiklover

Please just return/sale all your apple products and buy yourself something else such as samsung phones, tablets, tv ect... It would be a smart move! ;)

18. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

They didn't "do the right thing," they made exceptions, and unfortunately you weren't one of them. Plus we have no way of knowing what the situations were with your friends. For all we know, your situation might have been entirely different from theirs.

And you call everyone criticizing you "fanboys" even though you admittedly went in expecting a replacement for an issue you knew they were in no way obligated to give you, and you are are upset at them. And obviously you must therefore also think that every other company would hand out replacements or repairs as freely as candy, otherwise, why would you be upset at Apple for doing what most every company would do?

Yes, that makes perfect sense. :rolleyes:

19. transphasic macrumors member

I've been buying apple computer products since probably before you were born, and have purchased 4 x what you claim to - and if I broke a device, I would not expect them to pay for a new one.

My spidey troll sense is tingling... :rolleyes:

20. cudafish thread starter macrumors member

You post is not relevant to my situation. I don't think Apple was around in 1961. Please correct me if I am wrong. I don't care how many Apple products You purchased.

21. shinobi-81 macrumors 6502

Are you trying to tell us that you're like 50 years old? Your postings suggest you're no more than 15.

22. Ccrew macrumors 68020

So "do the right thing" is essentially to you giving you a free iPad although you aren't due one under the terms of any warranty or agreement with Apple?

And "wasted your time"??? Frigging spare me.

23. taipan61 macrumors 6502

next time you make an apple purchase (if you ever do again) get applecare
    thats what it is there for...

just because others got the deal of a lifetime and had apple replace their broken/bad items for free (again this depends on the timeline involved, they have tightened up their exchange policies recently) doesn't mean you'll get one, nor should you expect one...life just isn't fair now is it...

24. StevieWonderMic macrumors member

You sound annoying. I work and retail and when a customer comes in feeling entitled to something that they shouldn't be and is pissy about it, **** them. There are exceptions and it's case by case. I hate when people list how much or what they bought, that doesn't make you more valuable than any other customer, idiot. Or you could have gone in with a good attitude and the rep was an idiot. Try again with a smile and see where that gets you.

----------

Also, this.

25. classicaliberal macrumors regular

classicaliberal

Apple has replaced 2 iPhones for me. One time it was a manufacturing problem, and they should have done it, the other time the 'Genius' must have just been feeling extra friendly.