Bad battery life? You Need to return it for another one!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Cdaddy112, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Cdaddy112 macrumors member

I cannot stress this enough, my battery was terrible, I couldn't make it through the day, told apple, swapped it, and now battery is amazing! Here is my current stats, usage: 4 hours 11 minutes, standby; 1 DAY 4 hours. Battery percentage: 33%

2. salacious macrumors 6502a

personally i think that battery drain would mostly be down to people being excited and realisticly thinking a phone that powerful could run its battery like a warship, its an expensive phone its not faultless, theres obviously battery issues but also i think continuous use that will die down after couple of months will also increase battery life.. maybe a new update to ios5 will come to fix the battery usage..

3. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Never assume.

The first 4S I bought for my wife had horrible battery life. Took it in, the genius replaced it.

The new one is so much better it's shocking.

4. Cdaddy112 thread starter macrumors member

I should also add that I have all notifications, iCloud, exchange sync, everything turned on, I send and receive tons of email and do some heavy web browsing and music listening.

5. Weirik macrumors member

Did they test it first? I don't want to replace my body shields and all that if I don't need to. My battery life is less than I would prefer but I have absolutely everything turned off. Right now I have 1.5 hrs usage and 1.5 hrs standby at 80%. I was only playing PvZ during lunch. I can last through the day though unlike some people. When I called the Apple store the guy acted like he hadn't heard of any of these battery issues and said they could test it if I made an appointment.

6. clarkgriswold macrumors member

I did this, but the battery in the second one has been the same as the first.

7. Weirik macrumors member

That's what I'm afraid of. I'm waiting for a software fix or some type of confirmation that's it's hardware before I waste my time and a $15 screen protector to take a shot at a new one.

8. frostbit3 macrumors member

This isn't accurate, just because you have bad battery life doesn't mean that it's hardware related. It just as easily could be software related. My past experiences have all been software, and even had Apple replace it which did absolutely nothing. Troubleshoot the issue and try to narrow it down, IMO

9. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

If you are having bad battery life while on standby return it. I agree 100%! This worked for me and the difference is massive. Keep checking usage....if your usage is going up while it is in standby than that is a sign.

----------

I did multiple restores including not from backup. Replacing the phone was the only fix for me. If they can replace the phone and I can restore my original backup and it is fixed than I would not hold my breathe for a software fix.

10. film major macrumors member

Here is my current situation, want your opinion:

Its 5pm and my battery is at 73% I have used it for e-mail and listened to music for about 40min on it. It was at 100% at 10am when I woke up. Also, I have wi-fi turned off while at work to save battery life.

Don't you think I should be getting better battery life?

11. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

happened with my 3GS at launch and apple replaced it. thankfully my ip4 is doing fine. +1 for apple customer service.

12. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

1) turn phone off for a minute
    2) boot it up and charge to 100%
    3) Take if off charger and try to not use it for a few hours
    4) Check usage...if you standby and usage are similar you have a problem. If not, enjoy your phone. Also your battery should still be about 99-98% charged after a few hours

13. film major macrumors member

I will try that tonight.

14. cababah macrumors 68000

The geniuses will a lot of times hook your phone up to the diagnostic to check the battery. Some will just freely replace it based on your complaint but most likely they will test it first and guess what? If it checks out "ok" on their diagnostic they will most likely not replace it and tell you to disable all your "smartphone" settings.

15. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

If you restore the phone clean and test the standby without opening apps they have no grounds to stand on. They will support you if you explain things and go through proper tests first. By doing a clean restore you are eliminating software and settings.

16. verwon macrumors 68030

verwon

I was having the weird thing where usage and standby where identical. I used it, until I completely drained the battery and it shut off, then charged and now, my battery life has improved and those readings are no longer identical.

17. barebackbadger8 macrumors 6502

barebackbadger8

mine drops to 98-99% after a couple of hours (2) is that ok?

18. Skream macrumors member

i'd get it looked at

19. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

Leave it off the charger overnight on a weekend or when you don't have to leave the next day. Hopefully it only drops about 4% overnight.

20. iphone4sATT macrumors newbie

Battery

I am already on my 2nd phone. Exchanged at Apple due to bad mute switch and bad sensor. My replacement is acting up. Horrible battery life. For example, fully charged before bed Tuesday night and then left it off charger overnight. Woke up at 6 am and had gone from 100% at 11pm to 65% overnight with no use. Had a terrible day with battery all day yesterday. Phone was draining 1% every 3 or 4 minutes with little use. Was also running very hot. Restored from previous iPhone 4 backup. Never set up as new. Clearly this is an iOS issue and not hardware.

Last evening I followed some of the suggestions found in posts and removed unused apps, turned off location services, turned off iCloud, turned off push, reset network settings, turned off everything is spotlight, turned off notifications, deleted and removed all email accounts and manually re-entered them. Then fully charged the phone before bed and when I woke up this morning, I had only l lost 7% over night. Topped it off this morning and then I made it through the entire day today with almost 7.5 hours of moderate use and more than 10 hours of standby. I also have been turning things back on throughout the day to keep an eye on any rapid draining or heat. I think I have narrowed the issue down to location services and/or iCloud. Both I can live with off unless needed.

By the way, my log showed a lot of low memory warnings as well for what it is worth.

Attached Files:

21. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

That $15 has already been wasted on a totally unnecessary product.

22. Headlighted macrumors member

I was having some issues with my battery and I tried a full calibration of the battery. I charged the phone to 100% then ran the battery down until it died, I did this for 2 cycles. I now get better battery life than I did on my 4.

23. Antidoll macrumors regular

My phone is currently at 31%

it says under Usage : 3 Hours, 24 minutes
    Standby: 9 Hours, 32 minutes...

I unplugged it at around 10 AM this morning now it's 7 PM..

is this normal????

24. cababah macrumors 68000

That didn't make your battery perform any better, it just made it report more accurately.

25. ama0219, Oct 27, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2011

ama0219 macrumors member

Let's see mine for the day is at 56%.

Usage: 2 hours 25 minutes

Standby: 10 hours 10 minutes

I unplugged the phone at 9:15am. I've been texting a lot since 2pm after I got off work. Some Facebook, emails fetching every hour, some location settings on, asked Siri a question earlier, browsed the internet for a few minutes, and right now my wifi is on. I had an original droid before so I don't know if this is good or not for an iPhone, but it is way better than my droid's battery. It's 7:30pm now.