Bad CPU on macbook pro 17 inch Unibody

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dogster, Mar 26, 2009.

1. dogster macrumors member

So today I was running the computer doing compressor in FCP and at 2:00pm
    I noticed that the computer had slowed down almost by half. I did some more tests and called apple and they confirmed that I had a cpu failure on one core.
    Its only a 5 days old . oh well back to the drawing board

Doug

2. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

are you going to get it replaced then?

3. dogster thread starter macrumors member

yes advanced replacement

They are taking care of it now and this is my 3rd one !!:eek:

Doug

4. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

no worries third times a charm:p

5. macfrik macrumors 6502

macfrik

All you need is patience Doug. Who knows you'll be replaced with newer Unibody model? Haha.

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Rly? A failed CPU these days is really a very, very rare thing. I'm curious what your other symptoms were. Not saying your wrong, I'm just interested at this point.

7. RX64MACBOOKPRO macrumors member

RX64MACBOOKPRO

8. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I have a feeling there was no bad cpu or bad core.  You sure you got the right fcp installed onto the 17"?  

I dont buy that you had a bad cpu 2 times in a row!

Dont ask about the text style that I'm using.. I have no idea what happened.  I'm currently at work using an emachines for today and for some reason it looks like this.

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I'm interested as well. How do you know a core failed? What are the symptoms?

10. kastenbrust macrumors 68030

kastenbrust

Its more likely a stick of RAM fell out than having a broken core. Infact im not sure if what your describing is even possible, the computer wouldn't halve in speed just because one core is broken, it doesn't work like that.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

That's what I was thinking. The computer wouldn't see it as "hey, one core is gone but lets run at half speed". I would think if the core really DID fail then, well, the CPU would just fail. I don't think CPU's have a middle ground, it either works or it doesn't. I'm pretty sure you can go all technical, but that's how I see it.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I don't think a core can fail unless its the 2nd Core. If the 1st Core fails, the entire CPU shutdown. The 2nd Core can be "turned off" but the 1st cannot.

If your CPU has failed, it should report that there is only 1 CPU available and the 2nd core would either be: Not detected or report 0% in usage.

13. dogster thread starter macrumors member

ok heres what I know

Well the computer has slowed down by almost 45 % so I figured the front bus is bad or a faulty core I dont know its weird . But for instance I ran xbench 3 days ago and got a score of 160 now only 106. Also I noticed the graphic card is slower so its a whole slowdown the whole computer. Bad logic board ?

Doug

14. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Have you tried resetting the SMC and restarting the computer?

15. dogster thread starter macrumors member

one more thing

The core could be still ok but maybe the voltage is messed up I dont know . They told me they r interested in testing it out
    Apple that is

Doug

16. dogster thread starter macrumors member

17. dogster thread starter macrumors member

here is a reading showing only CPU A

look at this screen shot

Attached Files:

18. dogster thread starter macrumors member

my bad

I didnt realize that there is only CPU A must be really tired

lol

19. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Okay, I think you're getting confused.

CPU A = CPU Diode

There is only ONE CPU Diode in the entire system. The Diode contains 2 Cores within sharing a 6MB L2 (or 3MB L2 depend on what CPU you're using) Cache shared between both Cores.

Tell us, what tests you have run to determine your CPU is actually "broken". Look into "Activity Monitor" in /Utilities and see if it shows both CPU running any usage (anything above 1%).

20. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I think the OP has no idea what he's talking about. He probably exchanged it due to some minor issue or it was all in his mind. Probably ran xbench score while running fcp or something~

If a CPU is broken the whole CPU doesnt work. There is no half functions unless the CPU shuts down the 2nd core as a feature.

21. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

You can shut down the 2nd core easily using a preference pane. However, this is not the case here.

22. dogster thread starter macrumors member

i do know what i am talking about

I am not running any programs and the computer is
    about half speed . Activity monitor shows no programs
    running in the backround. Where I agree now its not the cpu but something is slowing it down, front bus is damaged , logic board etc (Idont know and neither do you). Maybe the ram went bad ? Its very strange

Doug T

23. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

Okay for one thing, FSB cannot be damaged and still have the system running. The CPU is made with such small parts that if any damage occurs there would be a complete short in which the entire CPU gets shot and fails. It won't fail in segments, almost impossible to fail in segments.

Furthermore, Front Side Bus is located within the CPU, not on the logic board. The logic board shouldn't have any failures or issues or you'll see it via hardware not working, not a slow down. A ram failure, if inserted properly would cause kernel panics. If ram somehow popped out of its slot, it would not create any kernel panics but slow the system down due to lack of ram.

Now I have suggested many areas on which you can test easily, yet you ignored all of them and continue to state its a hardware issue that makes absolutely no sense.

Furthermore, we asked you for more information to help you, yet you ignored them also.

And please, do not state "Just because its slow" because there are many software causes for that also.

24. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Maybe he's just a troll. Dell fanboy trying to stir things up in these threads~

Hey its just another thought. :D

25. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't know if you want to do this or not, have you tried running in a new user to see if the slowdown is still present? Maybe even do an Archive/Install. The only thing I think could be affecting your performance is bad RAM. Doubt it's any other hardware problem. Did you run the Apple Hardware Test just to see if anything comes up?