Bad experience

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by iamwilliamcwl, Jan 8, 2014.

  1. iamwilliamcwl macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2013
    #1
    Does anyone encounter any electric shock from your macbook? I got shocked everytime touching/unplugging my magsafe power adapter and today I got a minor shocked when I place my hand on the unibody. And also when I try rub my macbook, sometime it has some weird feelings I don't know how to explain what feeling it is. Is this normal?
     
  2. AirThis macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2012
    #2
    No, this is not normal. Bring it to a genius or return it if still possible.
     
  3. simonsi macrumors 601

    simonsi

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2014
    Location:
    Auckland
  4. iamwilliamcwl thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2013
    #4
    what do you mean by mains power or static? my english is not good so sorry
     
  5. jav6454 macrumors P6

    jav6454

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #5
    Static electricity is just build up of electronics charges. This occurs naturally in everything in the environment. However, a static shock can have the potential of killing an electronic device. If this is your problem, then I suggest grounding yourself or start looking for ways to avoid "charging" yourself.

    Main power shock means you get electrically shocked when touching the adapter or anything power related of your Mac. If this happens, then you have a faulty Mac.
     
  6. simonsi macrumors 601

    simonsi

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2014
    Location:
    Auckland
    #6
    If you are getting a dangerous power voltage then you should carefully unplug the power adapter and not use it again until it is checked or replaced, or the wiring fault in the property corrected.

    Static builds up in many areas, in this case it is likely building up on YOU and discharging to earth via your mac, in this case the issue is not likely to be a fault on your Mac.

    If in doubt have the Mac electrically checked.
     
  7. raptor402 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2011
    #7
    Hi,

    Try this: your MacBook should have come with a 3-prong plug extension cord for the charger (images attached). Use that. That extension cord has a ground cable in it so it should negate any static shock.

    Regards
    Raptor
     

    Attached Files:

  8. simonsi macrumors 601

    simonsi

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2014
    Location:
    Auckland
    #8
    Maybe - but if the static build-up is on HIM the earthed cable just facilitates the discharge to earth :)
     

Share This Page