Bad Idea.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Burch, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Burch, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2012

Burch macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I am 14 and I order the 16GB version. I read an article that said that the new iPad will need more memory. Is this true? I am also wondering if this was a bad idea to get the 16GB and should have waited longer? Is this the case?

EDIT: I am going to be surfing the web playing games, and reading in class.

2. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

It totally depends on what your going to do with it. Surfing Internet , movies, games, school work , Internet based learning or what. ??

3. RowdyYates macrumors member

RowdyYates

It all depends how you plan on using the iPad.

If you are plan on using it for apps, reading and a limited number of multimedia files, then you are probably fine with 16 GB.

If you plan on it storing your entire multimedia collection (music and videos) plus a multitude of apps, then you are probably not going to be happy with 16 GB.

4. HelveticaNeue macrumors 6502a

HelveticaNeue

Because apps supporting Retina Display images will be 2 or 3 times larger than before, they will take more room. It is a concern, but really it depends what apps you're gonna be installing and how much Music and Video you want to cram on your iPad.

5. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

iPad will not need more memory.

Certain apps may increase in size so 16GB may not go quite as far as it use to.

I ordered 16GB and will be fine with it.

6. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

You'll be fine. Heck, you'll even be fine with the iPad 2 but the iPad 1 has memory issues.

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not memory issues. It is that the apps developed now crave at least what the iPad 2 has inside. It is not that the first one has issues, it is just a lot slower. I noticed this while playing Draw Something. Loads super fast on my iPhone 4s and not so fast on my iPad 1.

8. Surf Monkey macrumors 68020

Surf Monkey

16 gig will probably be fine for you. It takes a while to build up a big media library.

9. mac jones macrumors 68040

I don't store anything except documents on mine. I don't use it as a music player and I don't play games. Even then, my iPad 2 is little short on memory as the apps pile up (I have quite a few), but not by much, so it's ok.

If your profile is similar you will have a similar experience, otherwise things could get cramped.

Then again, you can always sell it on Ebay for much more than you payed for it :D

10. Lukeyy19 macrumors 6502a

Lukeyy19

he's talking about storage capacity, not RAM

11. nfl46 macrumors 603

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ahhh my bad. Lol.

Well, yeah, it depends on what apps you install, the amount of music/videos...

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Unless you need large amounts of media on your device (e.g. you want several movies for a long plane trip), 16 GB, with Apple's push toward cloud-based content you should be fine.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Very few apps will be 2 or 3 times bigger. Graphics are only one part of the app size. I know in my existing game that audio files take up more space for example. The relatives sizes of assets do vary a lot. A good number may double in size, but it will be far from the rule.

14. WRP macrumors 6502a

There should be an age limit for the internet.

15. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

Uhhhh, no it doesn't. My original iPad 3g works just as well as it day on day one.

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Subjective matter. You provided no info on your needs/wants. It's impossible to answer your question. If it was universally a bad idea to but the 16GB iPad then no one would buy it. If you want recommendation one way or the other then you'll need to be a lot more detailed on your usage of the iPad.

It's fairly simple: If you don't get enough capacity for your needs then it's a bad idea.

Also, are you confusing memory with storage capacity? IIRC the iPad 3's memory has been bumped to 1GB.

Nonsense. Age means very little.

17. WRP macrumors 6502a

Hell, my original ipad wifi works just fine.

18. iCarabma macrumors 6502

You will be fine. People with 16 gigs may sometimes have to be a little more proactive with managing their data and apps thats all. If it's a money thing and you would have to wait, I say you would be better off getting your 16 and saving for some killer apps.

enjoy.

The people who tell you that it isn't enough are people who are trying to justify their own purchases.

19. Burch thread starter macrumors member

20. xMBPx macrumors regular

Bro, I got my first iPod touch when I turned 16. I've since upgraded to a new iPod touch, then the iPad 2, then sold that when I got an iPhone, and now bought the iPad 3. I've bought the 16gb every time. Every song, photo, video, app, etc that I have had since I was 16, (now 20) and I've not even used 8gb yet.

21. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

If your parents are buying you an iPad in the first place, surely they are rich enough to bump it up to 32GB anyway.

22. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

Who said their parents are buying it for them? And who said they are rich. Just because you can buy a $500 device, doesn't mean you can buy a $600 device.*

Don't turn this into an age debate, please.*

23. Burch, Mar 13, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

Burch thread starter macrumors member

Well, my family isn't rich, we have money, but definitely not rich. Not to mention that I bought it with my own money. Including my MacBook Air, AND my Samsung Galaxy SII (my family is on T-Mobile for my dad's job :( )Also, its kind of ignorant and judgmental to think that my parents buy me everything.

24. siilver1984 macrumors member

i have a 16gb and i have 10gb left and i don't need much more on it
    these days we have plenty of streaming for iOS so i would say 16gb is loads

25. striker33 macrumors 65816

striker33

No ordinary 14 year old can afford his own iPad. No paper route pays that much unless you delivery across every state every weekend.

Why do people try to argue with facts?