Bad luck! (stolen iPhone 4)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikeee, Dec 8, 2010.

1. mikeee macrumors regular

my brother had his iphone 4 stolen and he only reported to the police and they didn't seem to care about it. So, what if he goes to apple and tells them it is stolen? im been reading and i been getting mixed informations from "no they won't care and still service the stolen phone" to "yes they put down that the phone is stolen and won't get service from apple if they bring the phone in" so if anyone can help me, it would help a lot. i just want to know what if the thief goes to apple to exchange the phone ... would it show up as stolen, etc..

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Why didn't have the free "Find my iPhone" system setup? It would make your life a hell of a lot easier. You could SHOW the police where your phone is, and they could go and get it.

3. mikeee thread starter macrumors regular

the iphone is on 4.1 , i heard 4.2.1 is where find my iphone is free

4. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

Ahhhhh, yeah, I didn't know that it was on 4.1, sorry!

But yeah, if you call Apple they may be able to put a flag on that serial number. I'm not positive of this, but I don't know why It wouldn't be possible.

I hope all goes well for you!

BTW, did you have any 3rd party insurance on the phone? Assurion or anything?

5. darkside flow macrumors 6502

darkside flow

The warranty is attached to the serial number of the phone. The thief can bring it in for warranty service or exchange.

Telling Apple the phone was stolen is pointless. They can't do anything because you could have sold the phone to the person, got into a disagreement and now want to report them maliciously. Not saying that you would do that, but with the resale that goes on with the iPhone, they have to cover the device and not the person.

6. optophobia macrumors 6502a

optophobia

A Police report clears all that up. By brandishing a copy of the police report to them they would HAVE to deny service otherwise they would be knowingly in possession of stolen goods...

7. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

I am so sorry i had my old blackberry stolen and i went and got a police report and called att and the end result was i had to buy a new phone. So i am sorry

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Sorry to hear about what happened, however, Apple nor the police will do anything for you.

Hopefully you have a way to get a replacement iPhone, or a phone in general.

9. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

btw, even if he did have find my iphone, if the phone is turned off, it cant be tracked. Apple, and att really wont do anything. I guess all you could say is to take better care of it next time so this doesnt happen again

10. darkside flow macrumors 6502

darkside flow

Doesn't really change anything. Anyone can make a police report.

I'm not saying it's right, but I've read numerous cases online about reporting an iPhone stolen and Apple continues to provide service.

One guy actually got a call when a thief took his phone in for service. Apple had his information attached to the serial number. When he indicated he had a police report, they said they honour the warranty to the person in possession of the device.

11. KobeWoods macrumors newbie

I actually had my iPhone 4 stolen last week at the recreation gym while I was playing basketball, some thugs decided to snatch MY gym bag and run off before I noticed til I was doing playing my game. I went to the police and apple store and they couldnt do anything about it. The Police are pathetic, they only chase after drugs or homicides. I actually saw my phone up on Craigslist (spotted it because mines had the iresQ white back and white bumper and he mentioned he had no box/charger just phone itself and I saw my wallpaper also on the phone) this morning, and later you know it gets deleted an hour later and he posted his number, I've called a few times with a different number and even texted the person but no response. I called my local police station, again they're pathetic, they said I have to meet the guy first to verify that it's my phone then call them to the scene to make an arrest. So now I am off playing NO COUNTRY FOR YOUNG THUGS to get what rightfully belongs to me, with work in my way I'm hoping i can track down this thief.... Im willing to throw down a few punches and maybe pull out my golf clubs out my trunk if I have to. :cool:

12. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Sorry, but the police are not "pathetic" because they wont drop everything they're doing to pursue your stolen phone. God forbid the police only investigate murders and homicides. They dont. If you need proof, go into your local Apple Store, take an iPhone off the display and walk out with it. I promise you, theyll be there investigating in 3 to 5 minutes.

Because think about it from their point of view: Someone comes up to them with a print out of a Craigslist ad and a phone number taken from the ad, claiming that the phone in the picture and listed in the ad theirs and that it was stolen. That is your evidence? They have to pursue this claim based on that? Then what is to say that you didnt print some random ad out to try to get a free phone. There's nothing substantial tying you to the phone in the picture. I'm not even talking about "but but but thats my wallpaper!" I'm talking about serial numbers, purchase orders, proofs of purchase, original box. And even then its assuming that you can see the serial number on the phone in the picture *and you cant*.

Why didnt you take out a police report the day of the incident while you were at the gym? Why didnt you see if the recreation gym had surveillance footage? Why didnt you get the police to take some statements from some witnesses? Im sure someones got some probative evidence.

Didnt your gym have lockers? Why didnt you use them? At my gym, my phone is either on me (because i'm listening to music) or locked up.

Its true, at this point, there isnt anything you can really do about it now. Take this as a lesson, as a dose of reality. Pay for a brand new one and do you best to take care of it. This means, buying SafeWare or SquareTrade insurance for it. This means making sure that the phone doesnt leave your sight. This means locking your bag up at the gym while youre playing your game (The hell do you need a phone for while your on the court?)

I dont mean to be harsh on you but this is real life. People steal ******. Surprise. I learned the hard way when some goon took a walk with my MacBook Pro. A whole year worth of saving up doing crappy odd jobs so I can have a mac and it gets stolen 3 months in. It was retrieved by the police with lo jack computrace, but man was that a shock.

For those above me. Apple has no obligation legally to report anything to the police. Because it is all inadmissible hearsay. If a car is stolen, the mechanic Mr. Badguy takes it to has no obligation to report it to the police. In fact, just off the top of my head, the only mandatory reporting laws I can think of are child abuse and sexual assault.

13. SydneyJunkie macrumors regular

no sir, you are pathetic. Im afraid the police have bigger fish to fry and investigations to lead than a stolen phone. when your phone gets stolen you man up and take the loss. Do you have any idea how many phones get stolen everday to take each case seriously. So put your vagina away and move along with your life dude

14. KobeWoods macrumors newbie

Crazytiger86- It's an open public recreation gym, no cameras or lockers. And why did I bring my phone to ball? I always do since the past 4 months that I have been going there, guess my L for that day. But yea I did flag down an officer that night and he took my info and what the suspects looked like. And yes I understand that the police wont drop everything down and look for my damn stolen iPhone cause it's not top priority for them.

SydneyJunkie- You can finger**** my vagina anytime.

15. crazytiger86 macrumors 6502

Seriously man. Like i said, I feel for you. My laptop was stolen once before. Check out http://www.safeware.com/GetaQuote/InsuranceQuote.aspx
    if you decide to get a new phone. Theyll cover you for loss and theft you just need a police report.

Good luck.