Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aslowdodge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
So I have a 4.1 flashed to 5.1 with 32gb of ram (4gb x 8 slots) and upgraded the processors to 2 x 3.46.
It appears one of the processors will not recognize 1 of 4 ram slots.
We'll call that processor BAD
If it is installed in tray A it says Dimm 2 is open even though a ram chip is there. So I have 7 of 8 ramslots recognized. If I flip flop processor locations it will say Dimm 6 is empty.
I ordered another processor, delidded and originally swapped it with bad proccessor BAD in tray A. The Mac wouldn't start. Don't ask why but wound up swapping the processor in tray B so that the good processor was in it and left the new non functioning replacement processor in Tray A.

I tried it again and all of a sudden everything ran fine . Had all ram recognized and both processors recognized. So now I have my one good processor and replacement processor and all is well. Started and restarted multiple times yesterday and all was fine. Installed firmware 140.0.0.0.0, added my new saphire pulse graphic card, and samsung 970pro in a PX1 as boot. Everything worked great. Started and restarted to test.
Today I go to start up and nothing...
I reinstall the bad processor and take out the replacement and I am back to not recognizing Dimm 2, but at least I'm up and running again.

1. Can I run the mac from here on out with it only recognizing 7 of 8 ram slots as filled?
2. If so is it better to give up ram slot 2 or ram slot 6?
3. How much is ram compromised. Am I just at 28 now instead of 32gb, or does that one ram slot not recognizing foul up some kind of interdependency? I know that your supposed to fill ram slots in a certain order.
4. At this point I'm hesitant about ordering yet another replacement processor so trying to see if I can get by with what I have or buy new ram. I have the 1066 speed ram and thought of setting up processors to have ram slot 6 not recognized. Then pull all my ram out and buy 2 16gb 1333 and just put in slots 1 and 2 and get my 32 gb or ram with just 2 slots used.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Again, you already started another thread for this SAME ISSUE. That thread is linked above. Would suggest you remove this thread and continue the discussion in the other thread. Several very smart and talented people were already helping you there.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
hmm ...over 600 views and no one knows. Guess I'll just have to make educated guesses on what to do
My recommendation is to go back to the beginning. Reinstall the original 2.26GHz processors and use the system for a few weeks. If the system works fine during that time then the issue is likely with the new processors.

In the meantime some thoughts:
  • Is the failed memory slot the same with the two suspect processors?
  • Perhaps the issue isn't with the suspect processors but rather the "good" one? Perhaps you can install both suspect processors and see if the problem persists?

aslowdodge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
My recommendation is to go back to the beginning. Reinstall the original 2.26GHz processors and use the system for a few weeks. If the system works fine during that time then the issue is likely with the new processors.

In the meantime some thoughts:
  • Is the failed memory slot the same with the two suspect processors?
  • Perhaps the issue isn't with the suspect processors but rather the "good" one? Perhaps you can install both suspect processors and see if the problem persists?
It definitely is the new processors. One works fine and the other doesn’t see a dimm slot as filled even though it is. If I reverse their location the unrecognized dimm slot moves with it.
[doublepost=1548351473][/doublepost]
Again, you already started another thread for this SAME ISSUE. That thread is linked above. Would suggest you remove this thread and continue the discussion in the other thread. Several very smart and talented people were already helping you there.

Sure, how do I remove thread?
On the other thread no one has responded so I figured the thread was dead in the water. The thread addressed the missing ram slot, but not the next question of how I could change ram configuration get around it.
I did as you suggested and put my new issue on that thread and it just sat.
But if this one just annoys you, please direct me to how to delete it and. I will.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
It definitely is the new processors. One works fine and the other doesn’t see a dimm slot as filled even though it is. If I reverse their location the unrecognized dimm slot moves with it.
I did read that and everything points to the processor. However, as you said, it does seem odd two processors would exhibit the same issue. If you're convinced it's the processors then the solution is clear: You'll need to obtain another processor.

Sure, how do I remove thread?
On the other thread no one has responded so I figured the thread was dead in the water. The thread addressed the missing ram slot, but not the next question of how I could change ram configuration get around it.
I did as you suggested and put my new issue on that thread and it just sat.
But if this one just annoys you, please direct me to how to delete it and. I will.
If it annoys him then he should just ignore it.

bsbeamer

macrumors 601
Sep 19, 2012
Does not annoy me, just trying to get you actual help for your issue. There are a limited number of people with the technical know how to assist for this particular subject and a good portion of them are already participating in your other thread. Most of the time they will get a notification of a reply if they've already participated in a thread. Many do not actively seek "new" threads to participate in if their time is limited.

You should be able to click the EDIT button on your first post.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
Does not annoy me, just trying to get you actual help for your issue. There are a limited number of people with the technical know how to assist for this particular subject and a good portion of them are already participating in your other thread. Most of the time they will get a notification of a reply if they've already participated in a thread. Many do not actively seek "new" threads to participate in if their time is limited.

You should be able to click the EDIT button on your first post.

Exactly.

[Rant mode on]

Some people here have the bad habit to open new threads for every question/doubt/whatever. I can't say for others, but I just ignore people who behaves like that. It's a disrespect to myself and others that write and keep informative threads to help out people.

[/Rant]

Last edited:
Reactions: bsbeamer

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
^^^^But they have have the ability to edit and delete posts.

Lou
I am not aware of the ability to delete posts let alone entire threads. I'm aware they can edit their posts and the title of their own thread but not the ability to remove them.

Having said that more people have responded complaining the OP started a new thread than have responded offering help.

aslowdodge

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2012
Exactly.

[Rant mode on]

Some people here have the bad habit to open new threads for every question/doubt/whatever. I can't say for others, but I just ignore people who behaves like that. It's a disrespect to myself and others that write and keep informative threads to help out people.

[/Rant]

I certainly mean no disrespect to those that have helped me and others here.
In my defense this is all totally new stuff to me. I mean really new.
On other forums on other topics I am considered an expert. Yes I see the same posts over and over and I too will usually just ignore them as someone will usually answer them. I don't consider it disrespect because at one time I was the newb there asking what seems like now stupid and redundant questions, so I was there too. Sometimes you just don't know what you just don't know at the beginning.
Anyways the other thread was getting no traction so I posted this and when I was asked to delete it I tried but couldn't.
I apologize.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
I certainly mean no disrespect to those that have helped me and others here.
In my defense this is all totally new stuff to me. I mean really new.
On other forums on other topics I am considered an expert. Yes I see the same posts over and over and I too will usually just ignore them as someone will usually answer them. I don't consider it disrespect because at one time I was the newb there asking what seems like now stupid and redundant questions, so I was there too. Sometimes you just don't know what you just don't know at the beginning.
Anyways the other thread was getting no traction so I posted this and when I was asked to delete it I tried but couldn't.
I apologize.
My rant was not related to you or newbies, when it's a newbie I usually point to the correct thread that the topic was discussed, but others that do hundreds of threads for whatever.

One guy here have 436 started threads, just checked. I'll never answer this guy again and I really don't understand why someone behaves like this.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
My rant was not related to you or newbies, when it's a newbie I usually point to the correct thread that the topic was discussed, but others that do hundreds of threads for whatever.

One guy here have 436 started threads, just checked. I'll never answer this guy again and I really don't understand why someone behaves like this.
Because people are different. As long as he's not violating the ToS I see nothing wrong with his behavior. If you dislike someone's posting behavior the solution is simple: Just ignore them.

pl1984

Suspended
Oct 31, 2017
Because it makes for chaos, confusion, and clutters things up.
That's your opinion. IMO people have done more to cause "chaos", confusion, and clutter by complaining about the OP starting a second discussion. There have been more responses complaining than offering help.

flowrider

macrumors 604
Nov 23, 2012
^^^^You mean like what you and I are doing now 1387914497.gif

Lou

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.