Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Hey there.
I'm from Spain and the 6 and 6+ were launched last friday. I had reserved a 16GB 6+ on tuesday (no 64GB available) and got it on friday.

Today I was able to reserve a 64GB 6+ so went and got it. Thank god I didn't return my 16GB one just yet... Several things are wrong with it. YES, I do know most people wouldn't care or wouldn't even notice, but I DO, we're talking a lot of money here.

Are they rushing to produce these? Are they lowering the Quality Control??

1. Volume "Down" button doesn't press normal. It's like if it wasn't all the way out, and although it works, it doesn't sound as normal as his "Up" brother. Something similar happens to the home button.
2. Screen has stuff under it that I can see. In the first picture you can see three stains. The Blue ones are dead pixels. Always black. The Red ones... I don't know what those are. In the second picture, you can see a small hair or something inside the O and something else next to the L.

Pictures' contrast and levels have been modified in order to see it more clearly. I have a ZIP with the originals, but it's over the size limit for this type of files. Where can I upload it?

Just to clarify, I noticed the hardware issues before turning it on, but I didn't see the screen "problems" until I launched a couple of apps.

Restored it in order to return it and then decided to take the pictures so I could show you guys.

NOTE: Removed Exif info with ImageOptim. I would've just removed the GPS coordinates, but didn't find a way to just do that.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 232
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 165

Munitalp

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2007
Theres always going to be bad units out there, they're making millions and millions… no way they are all going to be perfect. If it was anything wide spread then it would be a bigger story.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
OK I'm so dumb. Here are the originals in separate JPEG files...

Attachments

• IMG_0086.JPG
    IMG_0086.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0087.JPG
    IMG_0087.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 110

antiprotest

macrumors 68040
Apr 19, 2010
Bad Quality Control to cover demand?

It's like this with every iPhone they launched. Many quality control issues. Too bad it puts the burden upon the customer to go exchange it.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I don't know what you're talking about OP. My Space Grey iPhone 6 64GB. Is 100% perfect.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I think the launch-day units are just as prone to defects as any other time of the year. I've gotten launch day, 2 months after launch, a year into the cycle, and a slew of reman'd replacements and they've all been prone to defects.

I think QC is a big issue at Apple. I'm not blown away by it to be honest. And if their customer service wasn't A+ (read: if they didn't swap out devices for customers as easily as they do) I would not upgrade as often nor would I pay as much -- I'd buy last year's model.

But since they're so good about fixing issues or just swapping devices, I'm still a loyal customer!

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I had three 6's all with dead pixels. Got a second Plus now with a good screen. First had bad scratches around the home button. This one has a tiny one but other wise pretty good.

Fattytail

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2012
I think the launch-day units are just as prone to defects as any other time of the year. I've gotten launch day, 2 months after launch, a year into the cycle, and a slew of reman'd replacements and they've all been prone to defects.

I think QC is a big issue at Apple. I'm not blown away by it to be honest. And if their customer service wasn't A+ (read: if they didn't swap out devices for customers as easily as they do) I would not upgrade as often nor would I pay as much -- I'd buy last year's model.

But since they're so good about fixing issues or just swapping devices, I'm still a loyal customer!

Yeah but come on guys. You try making millions of units of anything. Of course there are going to be issues. But Apple also has one of the best return policies in the world. You should be able to swap out your phone for a replacement if you have issues.

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm guessing that Apple have crunched the numbers and it works out better for them if they have the current level of QA and swap out devices that people complain about than if they spent hours and hours going over each and every device with a loupe to check for the smallest defect

My view is that as long as they continue to swap out for these sorts of defects I won't complain too loudly :)

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This is one of those threads that we can;t really definitively answer.

You are going to have people coming here telling you their phone is perfect, as if that somehow invalidates the claims that there are QC issues.

On the flip side, you are going to see people stating they had issues, and therefore that validates the claim that there are QC issues.

The bottom line is, I haven't seen any more complaints on the net, in general, than we did with previous generations of the phone. Does that mean anything? No, not really, because I haven't actually compared any data. Just going by memory, really.

My point is, it's a bit too early to tell, honestly.

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah but come on guys. You try making millions of units of anything. Of course there are going to be issues. But Apple also has one of the best return policies in the world. You should be able to swap out your phone for a replacement if you have issues.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what I just said.

I understand that making millions of something creates more potential for defects. I also learned a lot about quality control, scalability, TQM, etc. in my MBA program and I don't think making excuses for Apple -- even if producing millions of units, is warranted at this time.

Apple obviously sees the QC struggle and trumps it with stellar customer service. That's smart. I won't make excuses for them, but I'll also recognize their strong qualities that help to mitigate the weaker aspects.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I'm guessing that Apple have crunched the numbers and it works out better for them if they have the current level of QA and swap out devices that people complain about than if they spent hours and hours going over each and every device with a loupe to check for the smallest defect

My view is that as long as they continue to swap out for these sorts of defects I won't complain too loudly :)

Well... you're right, in the end it's all about numbers, so it must be working out for them. And for the customers, of course.

But in this case... it's different imo. I have another 7 days to return my 16GB model. If I walk into the store tomorrow and return the 64GB 6+, they won't have more in stock, so they'll offer me a refurb. If they do, I won't be able to get a refund again, so it's all left to the Genius to see if he gives me another refurb. If not, I'm stuck with a phone I'm not happy with. (Assuming the first refurb was another issue that is)

If there was ∞ stock... then yes, no problem. But with this restraints... :/

This is one of those threads that we can;t really definitively answer.

You are going to have people coming here telling you their phone is perfect, as if that somehow invalidates the claims that there are QC issues.

On the flip side, you are going to see people stating they had issues, and therefore that validates the claim that there are QC issues.

The bottom line is, I haven't seen any more complaints on the net, in general, than we did with previous generations of the phone. Does that mean anything? No, not really, because I haven't actually compared any data. Just going by memory, really.

My point is, it's a bit too early to tell, honestly.

Well, I wasn't making any questions really. I mean, yes, the title of the thread is one lol, but I was more trying to tell people to check their phones the best they can.

But in the end... as I said... the regular iPhone buyer wouldn't probably notice most of these issues.

What's there not to get? There are obvious quality issues all over the place. iOS 8 has been a train wreck, and you jump in saying you have a perfect iPhone. Congratulations. Thanks for your insight.

I think he was being ironic. If not, I don't get it either, lol.

itsmemuffins

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
What's there not to get? There are obvious quality issues all over the place. iOS 8 has been a train wreck, and you jump in saying you have a perfect iPhone. Congratulations. Thanks for your insight.

Mine is perfect, like 99% of other people's is. Apple make Millions upon Millions of iPhones every year, and every year it's the same.

Someone has a defective unit and crystal falling QC standards. Well no they are not falling. If anything they are some of the best in the industry.

Further more, if you do have a problem, Apple will sort you out without a hassle. Must faster and easier than any other manufacturer would.

Tell me which other manufacturer will swap out a defective unit with a new one? Most will make you send it off for repair.

So instead of coming here and crying falling QC because you got a defective unit. Contact Apple and they will sort you out.

Do you get it now?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Well... you're right, in the end it's all about numbers, so it must be working out for them. And for the customers, of course.

But in this case... it's different imo. I have another 7 days to return my 16GB model. If I walk into the store tomorrow and return the 64GB 6+, they won't have more in stock, so they'll offer me a refurb. If they do, I won't be able to get a refund again, so it's all left to the Genius to see if he gives me another refurb. If not, I'm stuck with a phone I'm not happy with. (Assuming the first refurb was another issue that is)

If there was ∞ stock... then yes, no problem. But with this restraints... :/

Well, I wasn't making any questions really. I mean, yes, the title of the thread is one lol, but I was more trying to tell people to check their phones the best they can.

But in the end... as I said... the regular iPhone buyer wouldn't probably notice most of these issues.

I think he was being ironic. If not, I don't get it either, lol.

No. He wasn't. He's just your typical Apple chest beater.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
Yes, I believe they lower their QC standards in order to meet demand. I have seen a lot of bad LCD screen. Dead pixels, dirt/dust under screen. Huge disparity in quality of the screens-yellow, dull, blurry, etc.

Hopefully as things level out they will get their act together.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA

I am of the mindset that if you don't notice an issue, why on earth look for one? If there is a slight discoloration on my screen but I didn't notice it until someone told me to look for it, am I really in a bad spot? IMO, no, not really.

I guess there is the whole "I paid a lot and therefore want a perfect device", and that's fine. But what's perfect if you don't know what it is?

Like I said, I truly don't believe there is a higher occurrence of quality issues with this phone than previous phones. If you notice e an issue, Apple seems to be very forgiving, as they basically always have been.

brholton

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
Yes, I believe they lower their QC standards in order to meat demand. I have seen a lot of bad LCD screen. Dead pixels, dirt/dust under screen. Huge disparity in quality of the screens-yellow, dull, blurry, etc.

Hopefully as things level out they will get their act together.

What is your idea of a lot of "LCD screen. Dead pixels, dirt/dust under screen. Huge disparity in quality of the screens-yellow, dull, blurry, etc." Have you see 10, 100, 1000. Say it is 1000 you have seen against the 10,000,000 they sold, that is 1/10,000 of 1% being defective. Most companies would thank god for that defective rate.

ToyGun1

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2012
I still think on luck for a perfect phone.
Last year my iPhone 5s was perfect on launch day.

This year different story
Replaced two iPhone 6 Plus 128gb gold (Third one was perfect)
(Both phones had dust or dead/stuck pixels)

Replaced one iPhone 6 128gb space grey (Second one was perfect)
(First one had dead pixels.

Just don't give up keep on trying perfect phones are out there.

Jalopybox

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2012
What is your idea of a lot of "LCD screen. Dead pixels, dirt/dust under screen. Huge disparity in quality of the screens-yellow, dull, blurry, etc." Have you see 10, 100, 1000. Say it is 1000 you have seen against the 10,000,000 they sold, that is 1/10,000 of 1% being defective. Most companies would thank god for that defective rate.

3 Apple stores. 9-15 6's at each store. Each looked much different than the next.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.