Bad reviews on MacBook A/V Adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WickedPorter, Jan 7, 2016.

1. WickedPorter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

Hi all,

I'm wondering what all the fuss is with this adapter. Have others had any issues with it? Is mine doomed to failure or something? Or perhaps Apple has released driver fixes for it with newer releases of OS X?

I'm currently using it as a "dock". This is my personal MacBook, but I use it at work with this configuration as a secondary development/test machine. Using this adapter, one cable to plug in gives me the following config:
    • HDMI --> Dell 24" 1080p monitor running @ native resolution, with the MacBook screen running as my secondary display.
    • USB-A --> Belkin USB 3.0 three port hub with built in ethernet. Using the Ethernet and one USB port for my wireless transceiver for a Microsoft wireless keyboard/mouse.
    • USB-C Power is plugged in to the standard 29W USB-C power brick.
    No problems so far. Running a Windows 10 VM on top of OS X in Parallels and this is turning out to be a pretty powerful work / development machine with this config!

2. ixxx69 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what "fuss" you are referring to? Can you point to an article?

3. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

The "fuss" over this adapter has nothing to do with its performance or quality, it has to do with its price. Some feel that Apple shouldn't have removed these ports to begin with, others think it should have been packed in for free.

Those who understand the RMB fully are grateful that the ports are outboarded to this convenient docking station instead of adding thickness and weight and reducing portability. I have both the HDMI and VGA adapters, they both work flawlessly on the 5% of the time I actually need to use them.

BJ

4. WickedPorter thread starter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

5. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

If you read the 'bad' reviews, it sounds a lot like this forum on a Friday night. Almost all the negative reviews aren't about quality, they are about price ($80 is too much apparently), charging (can't charge an iPhone unless the adapter is plugged into the MacBook), HDMI (copy protection won't play illegal videos), and anger (Apple is bad because they removed ports from the notebook).

Not "failures" of quality. Failures of imagination.

BJ

6. WickedPorter thread starter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

Now that I'm diving in to them more, I'm seeing that. I tend to breeze right by the "it's too expensive for what it does" threads. I'm getting my money's worth. I did notice the iPhone charging issue, I don't really see this as an applicable problem for this device; it's primary purpose is not to charge an iPhone.

I'm mostly concerned with the "poor quality" issues, there are several accounts where the device simply stopped working, overheating, inconsistently working, reboots required to get working, etc. That being said, if the irrelevant reviews were removed (i.e. device doesn't work the way I think it should) the ratings would probably be noticeably higher.

Oh well... to assign some purpose to this thread, I offer this conclusion: It works fine if you use it for what it's intended to be used for. If it breaks, get it replaced under warranty. :)

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

I think there is one other gripe, you can't daisy chain them

8. WickedPorter thread starter macrumors regular

WickedPorter

I am. No problems here...

[​IMG]

9. uscmba02 macrumors newbie

Now this is a feature I had not thought about and now want!

10. SteveJUAE, Jan 8, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2016

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Try putting the triple VGA adapter into the triple HDMI (Via USB-C) to get 2 USB ports :)

I tried this when I wanted to swap some files from one external HD to another

11. DougFNJ macrumors 6502a

DougFNJ

I read the same reviews and had the same concerns. Some had those made up issues which were easy to ignore, but others experienced failures which I did not ignore. I don't know if they fixed anything, but I bought one anyway, figured if it failed, Apple always takes care of me. So far day 5 no issues. Right now I have my HDMI monitor, and a USB charging a device and the USB-c plugged into it to charge.....no problems.

12. soulreaver99 macrumors 68020

soulreaver99

I use both the VGA and HDMI adaptors every day for work and have no issues and several types of displays. If you have any problems, you can always return it!

13. SSD-GUY macrumors 6502a

Wait, so I can't play downloaded movies through the HDMI adapter???

14. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I think he's referring to HDCP.

There's more information about that here.

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

Yep. In the end I ignored the reviews, figuring that I could just take it back if I found it unworkable. That's the great thing about Apple -- they stand behind their products and that extra "Apple tax" is a fair price to pay (in my opinion) for quality devices, support, and service. I was pleasantly surprised (as I mentioned at the beginning of this thread) to find that the reviews described an experience with the computer that was a lot different than mine.

16. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Agreed and we have had no problems (wife has the single usb adapter) I would not say my example was particularly standard set up, just a one off really.

17. poematik13 macrumors 6502a

Cal digit has a bus-powered USB-C hub that can do this for you. It's way better than the apple adapters in that it has more ports and is made of metal, so it can take a beating.

18. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Thanks for the info I assure you it was a one off :)

19. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Nearly a year later and the Apple adapter is the only one that does usb, charging, and hdmi output, and still the reviews are negative. LOL.

20. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

They work as intended for me, don't see what the fuss is about...

Q-6

21. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Agreed, I think half of it is they want Apple standards but Windows ish prices, welcome to the Apple ECO :D

22. boltjames macrumors 68030

boltjames

Bingo.

Apparently it's okay to spend $1,600 on a MacBook but a sin to spend $79 on an adapter.

BJ

23. SethBoy macrumors regular

So nobody here is having issues? I am worried about reviews talking about how sustained file transfers not working well. More interested in the plain USB C to USB A adapter as I don’t currently see a need for the HDMI Out.

24. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I transferred 350gb over wifi to a usb drive without an issue. Transfer rates were consistent throughout.

25. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

never had an issue with mine in a year of ownership. Like others said, the bad reviews are mostly geared towards price.