Bad timing to get a Mac Mini now?

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by atMac, Aug 20, 2012.

  1. atMac macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2011
    #1
    I'm thinking of getting a new Mac Mini, the current specs are just fine for me but do you guys think that it would be in my best interest to wait a month or two and see if a new one is released shortly?

    If we aren't expecting one to be for another 4mo+ then I'll buy now.
     
  2. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #3
    Buy what you need, when you need it. :p

    Enjoy your new Machine :) :apple:
     
  3. stridemat Moderator

    stridemat

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 2, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    If you can afford to wait until the rumoured September media event then wait. If you need the mac mini now then buy now. It's still a good machine and will work well for most people for many years to come.
     
  4. calvol macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2011
    #5
    The Mini is due for an upgrade to Ivy Bridge, but it's anybody's guess when it will come out, especially with iPhone 5 coming out in September. My guess is November for Xmas sales, but would love a surprise next month. I'm thinking instead, just buy a entry-level 13" MBP, which can be had for $999.
     
  5. SR45 macrumors 65832

    SR45

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2011
    Location:
    Florida
    #6
    Just remember that if you do buy today, and a new model is released in a few weeks or even a couple of months from now, don't come back venting. If it were me, and I still had a good computer that works, I would hold off a bit just in case the new one will be much better. Also, if a new one is introduced soon, the 2011 model will be less costly. Think about that ;)
     
  6. Omnius macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    #7
    I always hate saying it's a bad time to buy a mac. However, if you can wait a few months, there is a high likelihood you'll end up with a mac mini with USB 3.0.
     
  7. blanka macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2012
    #8
    If you can wait 6 months, you will get a Mini that is 10% faster (dual core Ivy 2.7Ghz), with a slower GPU (HD4000, dedicated will be dropped), you will find that USB 3 does not deliver much (the HD on the USB line caps the speed anyway to close to FW 800 speeds), there won't be room for 2 drives any longer, it will loose ethernet.

    - Introduction jan/feb 2013
    - 15x15cm max size, different body design
    - Ivy i7 dual core 2.7-2.8 Ghz
    - Dual TB ports
    - 3 USB 3 ports
    - headphone jack
    - SSD drive
    - Intel HD4000 graphics
    - 8Gb Soldered RAM, 16 BTO
    - Wifi/BT
    - Most energy efficient mac ever. 20 watt in full performance.
     
  8. Chippy99 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 28, 2012
    #9
    If only we could. What about the countless poor schmucks that need USB3? Or a computer they can play reasonably modern games on?

    I am not sure whether you meant to be flippant and fan boyish (i.e. refusing to accept that the mighty Apple could be in any way imperfect) but that's how it comes across.
     
  9. Tiituli macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 18, 2011
    #10
    Hello, hello,

    As an owner of a new Mac Mini with internal SSD and HD drives, 8 GB memory and 2.7 GHz processor, I don't see any point for having waited any longer than I already did!

    Thunderbolt connected through a LaCie eSATA Hub to two external eSATA hard drives are qiving quite the same performance as any USB-3 drives, but with a lower cost since I already owned the eSATA drives.

    :) Tiitu
     
  10. MySchizobuddy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2005
    #11
    I'm afraid the newer model will loose the dedicated graphics. Does any one knows if external thunderbolt based graphics card (one from MSI) work on mac mini
     
  11. Omnius macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2012
    #12
    I just use a thunderbolt to hdmi converter and run a second screen off it. Until daisychainable thunderbolt peripherals are available at a reasonable price, I'm happy as is.
     
  12. Lancer macrumors 68020

    Lancer

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
    #13
    I'm in the same boat with wanting a new iMac, the current one will probably do me just fine but I can't bring myself to get one knowing the update should be just around the corner.

    But if you need on then I say get one, the mini is a great desktop, get the base and a good LCD for less than the base iMac.
     
  13. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

    LeandrodaFL

    Joined:
    Apr 6, 2011
  14. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #15
    As always blanka posts her guesswork as established fact. This may be right. It may be complete BS. What is absolutely certain is that it's based on nothing but blanka's imagination, not any inside knowledge.
     
  15. Liquinn Suspended

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2011
    #16
    Yeah but if you always wait for the newest thing you're never going to buy anything. Why not wait for the 2013 models? :p
     
  16. blanka macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2012
    #17
    Woohoo, Me is a gal!!

    Well if only the maker of this site could stop with even dumber guesswork. At least you can do the math of release intervals right. If you do so, the next launch date will be around November 7th, and the current model is NOT over date.

    Another fact I use in my prediction is that the Mini always has roughly the same internals as the MacBook. Since that no longer exists, it will at least be slower than the MBP.
     
  17. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2007
    #18
    I was told by someone else you are. My apologies

    Do all the guesswork you want and predictions you want. Just label it accordingly instead of pretending it's established fact. You clearly know how to write a coherent sentence, so don't pretend you don't know you're being deliberately misleading with your choice of words.
     
  18. Lancer macrumors 68020

    Lancer

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2002
    Location:
    Australia
    #19
    If I had a Mac Pro I probably would LOL I do need to get a new LCD for my G5 PM, I'm considering a used Apple one on eBay but might just opt for a new one from another brand for about the same price.

    I just know if they release an iMac update and not new design it's likely to be at least 6-12 months before a new design would be released. Looking back at the history Apple has updated the iMac in the past then a new model 6 months later.

    In April 09' the 20" was refreshed but then just 6 months later (October) the current design 21.5"/27" models were released, so maybe that could happen again. Refresh in October (looking at the current rumors) then a new model next year in March, you never know.

    The same could happen with the Mini.
     
  19. bAdNitro macrumors member

    bAdNitro

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2012
    Location:
    Swoyersville, PA
    #20
    Haven't read past this, so sorry if it was already commented on, but if you're looking for a computer to play games on, the Mini isn't for you anyway.

    With the USB3, I can understand, to a point. I can tell you NOTHING I personally own REQUIRES USB3 speeds to function. My devices support USB3, but can run at USB2 perfectly fine. So yes, having the option in the Mini for USB3 would be nice, but it's definitely not a necessity, for me.


    As far as sounding "flippant and fan boyish" I don't think that was the case at all. They were merely commenting on the OP's comment of saying the Mini available now is good for what they need. Had the OP not said this, I could understand you thinking the comment was arrogant. Just doesn't apply here.
     
  20. kobyh15 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2011
    #21
    The 2011 base and mid Minis have the same internals as the early-2011 13" MBP. The server Mini has the same quad core as the early-2011 base 15" MBP.
     
  21. Stetrain macrumors 68040

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2009
    #22
    If you do buy one, get a refurbished model. That way even if a new one does come out you'll have saved a bit off the retail price and still have gotten a pretty decent deal.
     
  22. macuser86 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 26, 2009
    #23
    I just did this today and saved about $100 on the base model. For those stuck in a tough spot that NEED a computer right now and cant wait for the next mac mini the refurb's are the way to go at the moment IMO. You save a decent chunk of change.
     
  23. thekev macrumors 604

    thekev

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2010
    #24
    Those are my current suggestion. They'll likely drop a little when the new ones come out, but it always takes some time to see the newest generation make it to refurbished status. At the moment they haven't put any newer ones up as refurbs, yet many 2011s exist. My guess is that they're trying to clear old stock.
     
  24. disconap macrumors 68000

    disconap

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2005
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #25
    I bought a new one for one of my employees last week.

    Depends what you want it for. I have a new and a last gen mini, and they're really comparable, I don't think it's as big a "future proof" issue as it is with, say, a tower or iMac. Plus the current have Thunderbolt, are 64-bit, and have SATA6, so I doubt that other than a gpu upgrade and faster bus, there won't be a HUGE difference in the next model (which may come out next week or next year, who the heck knows?)...

    And Liquinn is totally right. Buy what you need when you need it. There isn't a model of mac out there right now that I would call obsolete, other than the towers (which are still great machines, just that you can build a hackintosh that's twice as powerful for half the price because Apple isn't keeping up the pro line well enough [even more true when you consider that that statement was pretty much true on the release date of the current tower model as well]). Speaking as a designer, the pro line seems like it's currently only concerned with volume costumers and the support they need, not staying current. For anything other than a server farm or a desperate need for PCI cards, I'd go with an iMac over a tower right now.
    /unrelated rant
     

Share This Page