Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
And Liquinn is totally right. Buy what you need when you need it. There isn't a model of mac out there right now that I would call obsolete, other than the towers (which are still great machines, just that you can build a hackintosh that's twice as powerful for half the price because Apple isn't keeping up the pro line well enough [even more true when you consider that that statement was pretty much true on the release date of the current tower model as well]). Speaking as a designer, the pro line seems like it's currently only concerned with volume costumers and the support they need, not staying current. For anything other than a server farm or a desperate need for PCI cards, I'd go with an iMac over a tower right now.
/unrelated rant

Haha Loved your rant btw. To be honest though, I wouldn't be able to use an iMac with what I need my Mini for, which is why I'm buying the Mini and not any other Mac.

Let me explain that. I'll be getting the 2.7ghz i7 Mini, upgrading to 16GB RAM, and putting my OCZ Vertex 4 into it after wiping clean. I already have a wireless keyboard from my wife (bought it for her iPad. It's still in the box a year later...), and magic mouse and magic trackpad from my sister (just bought a brand new MBP last week. Thought she might need it if she hooked it up to her TV. She didn't realize it would still work...)

I'll be using my 60" Sharp LED for my monitor. So considering I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and trackpad, getting a computer with any of those would be redundant and useless to me. Me and my wife just quit smoking (terms for me getting a new computer :rolleyes:) and we'll be saving about $3000 a year because of it. We decided to split the difference and both get something for $1500 or less.

The Mini itself will be $966 right from Apple (with shipping and taxes) and the Upgrades are $260 from Amazon (with shipping, and yes I'm including the original cost of my SSD because I only bought it last month lol)

So the whole cost (with a budget of $1500 don't forget :p) will be $1226. That is significantly cheaper than any other Mac I could have bought, with better specs. (2.7ghz i7, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD)

That's the reason I chose the Mini as opposed to the iMac or any other Mac for that matter.

BTW, I'm very sorry OP for threadjacking (not my intention) just replying to a comment here to show that some people prefer other pieces of equipment. In the same respect, not attacking the person I'm replying to. Just saying. :D

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
If you do buy one, get a refurbished model. That way even if a new one does come out you'll have saved a bit off the retail price and still have gotten a pretty decent deal.

In Europe you can just wait for MediaMarkt stunt prices. They lower Mini prizes every month or so. I got the 2.5 Ghz Radeon for 649. Just above the entry model prize. 50€ premium for 0.2 ghz, 4Gb and Radeon is way better than 200.

Tiituli

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Mac Mini is "configurable to 8GB, only at the Apple Online Store", so I guess that it is the current maximum amount of memory. In my opinion, this is where there can be an upgrade to at least 16 GB during this year. :rolleyes:

Let me explain that. I'll be getting the 2.7ghz i7 Mini, upgrading to 16GB RAM, and putting my OCZ Vertex 4 into it after wiping clean. I already have a wireless keyboard from my wife (bought it for her iPad. It's still in the box a year later...), and magic mouse and magic trackpad from my sister (just bought a brand new MBP last week. Thought she might need it if she hooked it up to her TV. She didn't realize it would still work...)

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
Mac Mini is "configurable to 8GB, only at the Apple Online Store", so I guess that it is the current maximum amount of memory. In my opinion, this is where there can be an upgrade to at least 16 GB during this year. :rolleyes:

The logicboard is able to recognize, and utilize 16gb of RAM.

Apple says it's max is 8gb but that's just not true lol. Never listen to Apple. They're usually wrong :p

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

16 GB working just fine on my MacMini 2011 as well as many others. ;)

disconap

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2005
Portland, OR
16 GB working just fine on my MacMini 2011 as well as many others. ;)

Same here. This was actually true of my previous gen mini as well.

Apple is notorious for underrating RAM capacity, back to (at least) the ibook days. 640mb max my ass.

----------

Haha Loved your rant btw. To be honest though, I wouldn't be able to use an iMac with what I need my Mini for, which is why I'm buying the Mini and not any other Mac.

I'll be using my 60" Sharp LED for my monitor. So considering I already have a monitor, keyboard, mouse, and trackpad, getting a computer with any of those would be redundant and useless to me. Me and my wife just quit smoking (terms for me getting a new computer :rolleyes:) and we'll be saving about $3000 a year because of it. We decided to split the difference and both get something for $1500 or less.

The Mini itself will be $966 right from Apple (with shipping and taxes) and the Upgrades are $260 from Amazon (with shipping, and yes I'm including the original cost of my SSD because I only bought it last month lol)

So the whole cost (with a budget of $1500 don't forget :p) will be $1226. That is significantly cheaper than any other Mac I could have bought, with better specs. (2.7ghz i7, 16GB RAM, OCZ Vertex 4 SSD)

That's the reason I chose the Mini as opposed to the iMac or any other Mac for that matter.

It's all about preference. The minis were supposed to be stopgaps for me until there was a better tower (I do have a hackintosh for video production but I mostly run Linux on it these days), but I actually find them extremely convenient, especially since we set up an in-house fileserver. At this point, for what I do, any mac is more than adequate, but the min is the cheapest continual upgrade path (and holds its resale value the best IMO).

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
My devices support USB3, but can run at USB2 perfectly fine. So yes, having the option in the Mini for USB3 would be nice, but it's definitely not a necessity, for me.

I guess that's a matter of opinion. If you regard a disk that could do 100MB/s+ only doing 35MB/s as being "perfectly fine", then great. Personally, I do not.

ukaskew

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2012
Buy what you need, when you need it. :p

Enjoy your new Machine :) :apple:

I couldn't agree with this more. I ordered mine not long before Mountain Lion arrived, everyone said that was crazy as there would more than likely be a new Mac Mini 'within a few weeks'. Next it will be a September release, then a 1st quarter 2013 release etc etc.

If you're ready to buy one just buy it, I've enjoyed using mine for a month now and wouldn't change that for anything, even if they announced a new version tomorrow.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
I guess that's a matter of opinion. If you regard a disk that could do 100MB/s+ only doing 35MB/s as being "perfectly fine", then great. Personally, I do not.

Then you've already bought a computer within the previous couple months.

My last purchase of a computer was roughly 2.5-2.6 years ago. USB 3 wasn't available. I was simply pointing out that the newer devices I've bought recently support USB 3 but it's not a REQUIREMENT to use the device. So yes, it runs "perfectly fine" on a USB 2 connection.

You can't miss what you've never had. Simple as that. I've never experienced, let alone NEEDED, USB 3 functionality. And in all reality, do you really NEED an external to copy data in 5 minutes as opposed to 10-12? If your time is THAT valuable, that you can't transfer and back up while you sleep like most people do, then yes, you need USB3. But for 85-90% of the population, there isn't a NEED to transfer and backup files that fast. Makes no sense to me at all. You're going to sleep 8 hours regardless of how fast your HDD backs up.

Last edited:

sk8ordie

macrumors regular
Nov 16, 2007
California
I'm not buying the current mini because I don't like paying a premium price for old technology. Sure it would suit my current needs but if I can get a faster processor, better graphics and usb3 for the same price, I don't mind waiting a few months.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
I'm not buying the current mini because I don't like paying a premium price for old technology. Sure it would suit my current needs but if I can get a faster processor, better graphics and usb3 for the same price, I don't mind waiting a few months.

I'm more worried about the new restrictions Apple will place instead of the new improvements hahah :D:rolleyes:

If the rumors are true, which no one knows, about soldered RAM and things like that, the current Mini will work better IMO.

I've said many times, I'm waiting until Sept 14th to order. If I get the current, then I get the current. Plus I have 30 days if a new one comes out. If not, the current one will work for what I need it for with my upgrades lol

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Then you've already bought a computer within the previous couple months.

My last purchase of a computer was roughly 2.5-2.6 years ago. USB 3 wasn't available. I was simply pointing out that the newer devices I've bought recently support USB 3 but it's not a REQUIREMENT to use the device. So yes, it runs "perfectly fine" on a USB 2 connection.

You can't miss what you've never had. Simple as that. I've never experienced, let alone NEEDED, USB 3 functionality. And in all reality, do you really NEED an external to copy data in 5 minutes as opposed to 10-12? If your time is THAT valuable, that you can't transfer and back up while you sleep like most people do, then yes, you need USB3. But for 85-90% of the population, there isn't a NEED to transfer and backup files that fast. Makes no sense to me at all. You're going to sleep 8 hours regardless of how fast your HDD backs up.

Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Taken to the extreme, you don't NEED anything do you. You certainly don't NEED a computer. You could manage your finances at a bank and do your shopping in bricks and mortar stores. So taking this line about not NEEDING things proves nothing. Other than food and water, there's hardly anything you really NEED.

So putting this silly definition to one side, if you have a few USB3 peripherals (as many do - I certainly do) then YES you do NEED USB3.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
I bought my Mini back in January this year, I was going to wait for the 2012 model, but hey. It's almost September, and still no Mini or iMac update.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
Your argument is fundamentally flawed.

Taken to the extreme, you don't NEED anything do you. You certainly don't NEED a computer. You could manage your finances at a bank and do your shopping in bricks and mortar stores. So taking this line about not NEEDING things proves nothing. Other than food and water, there's hardly anything you really NEED.

So putting this silly definition to one side, if you have a few USB3 peripherals (as many do - I certainly do) then YES you do NEED USB3.

Just because I'm disagreeing with you does not mean my opinions (yes opinions because I had no idea we were arguing...) are flawed.

You're taking things that I said, which are completely true (minus your incessant need to try and prove that USB 3 devices require USB 3 and can't work on USB 2 which is just plain wrong) and turning them into something completely unrelated to anything we're talking about. I never once said anything about needing a computer, period. I was simply pointing out, that one does not NEED USB 3 to use USB 3 COMPATIBLE devices. Plain as day, end of story. Do they work with a USB 2 connection? YES. That's the answer. We're not having a philosophical debate on the necessity of technology. We're talking about the "need" for USB 3.

Also, never once did I say I was against USB 3 at all. Because my computer does not have USB 3 ports, means that I've never experienced it. So I'll say again: you can't miss what you never had. For most people who are just average users (myself included, even though I'm between average user and power user), USB 3 isn't a requirement. If you enjoy USB 3, fine, not going to argue with you on that, but don't say you need USB 3 when it's not a requirement for the base functionality of the device in question.

You seem like the type of person who would trade in a 2012 car for a 2013 just because they're out. If they have the same body shape, anything you buy for 2012 will work on 2013, but you just want the 3 in the year because it's newer. The part works on both cars but you NEED the 2013 because it provides a 5% performance increase over what you would get on the 2012. Makes no sense right? Same principle. The devices work on both USB 3 and USB 2 but you want the USB 3 cause it's newer.

Now lets see how you spin my words again, and take it to the extreme just to argue :rolleyes:

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I bought the latest 2011 base model Mac Mini a few weeks ago, installed 8 GB of memory. Am I happy?? YES!!! This thing is so much faster than my earlier 2007 core 2 duo model (which I'll sell for the right price) I'm thrilled! So what if Apple comes out with a new model in the next few weeks. How much better will it be? Not much I'm sure..... All I know is I'm a happy camper with my new mini!

2crazy

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2012
Saint Louis
I'm thinking of getting a new Mac Mini, the current specs are just fine for me but do you guys think that it would be in my best interest to wait a month or two and see if a new one is released shortly?

If we aren't expecting one to be for another 4mo+ then I'll buy now.

Nothing has been announced yet. But I am hoping for a new mini with Ivy Bridge, 16 GB RAM and USB 3. I think these are almost fair assumptions. That Apple will drop Ethernet, as somebody else suggested, is probably not true. But nobody knows anything.

I think you should at least wait until September 12th.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
I bought the latest 2011 base model Mac Mini a few weeks ago, installed 8 GB of memory. Am I happy?? YES!!! This thing is so much faster than my earlier 2007 core 2 duo model (which I'll sell for the right price) I'm thrilled! So what if Apple comes out with a new model in the next few weeks. How much better will it be? Not much I'm sure..... All I know is I'm a happy camper with my new mini!

And that's what it's about!:D

Congrats on your new purchase. I'm waiting until 9/14 to order due to money issues, but I can't wait to have my new mini lol

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Now lets see how you spin my words again, and take it to the extreme just to argue :rolleyes:

I don't need to spin your words. You just keep stating things that are wrong.

You are assigning your own personal judgement to the word "need" and trying to assert that this is the factual definition of the word.

Clearly it is not, as I have demonstrated. If someone has a load of fast USB3 peripherals and wants them to work to their full potential, it is plainly reasonable to say that they need USB3.

To say otherwise is either deliberately confrontational, stupid, or condescending, or perhaps all three.

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
I don't need to spin your words. You just keep stating things that are wrong.

You are assigning your own personal judgement to the word "need" and trying to assert that this is the factual definition of the word.

Clearly it is not, as I have demonstrated. If someone has a load of fast USB3 peripherals and wants them to work to their full potential, it is plainly reasonable to say that they need USB3.

To say otherwise is either deliberately confrontational, stupid, or condescending, or perhaps all three.

Nothing I've said is wrong. I'm not "assigning my own personal judgement" to anything. The fact of the matter, and I'll say it for the third time since clearly you're not understanding, is that USB 3 is NOT REQUIRED for the functionality of the devices. They work on USB 2. Plain and simple. It's not reasonable to say someone needs USB 3 to use these devices. What you're trying to prove is that people will benefit from having the USB 3 connectivity which I have COMPLETELY agreed with the entirety of this "argument" we're having. I flat out said, if you enjoy the speed of USB 3 then that's great. But for MOST people who can't afford to run out and buy a new computer just because USB 3 is now included, USB 2 WILL WORK. End of discussion. I have said this many times and I'm tired of repeating myself. For the basic functionality of the device in question, it's not required, which in every meaning of the word, means it's not needed. Again, if you WANT to benefit from the added features of USB 3, I will never argue otherwise. But to say it's needed (which you're quite persistent on for some reason) is wrong.

Btw, I'm in NO way stupid, so don't say that just because you're mad that someone disagrees with you. Never once did I resort to personal attacks, so stop now.

You're the one who has been deliberately confrontational, considering you started attacking me for my opinions.

Yes, I may seem condescending to you, but that's only because you're trying to justify your point of view.

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I bought my Mini back in January this year, I was going to wait for the 2012 model, but hey. It's almost September, and still no Mini or iMac update.

i went the same route. 6 months after release is just a good time to get a refurb, rather than a bad time to buy a new mini.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Nothing I've said is wrong. I'm not "assigning my own personal judgement" to anything. The fact of the matter, and I'll say it for the third time since clearly you're not understanding, is that USB 3 is NOT REQUIRED for the functionality of the devices. They work on USB 2. Plain and simple. It's not reasonable to say someone needs USB 3 to use these devices. What you're trying to prove is that people will benefit from having the USB 3 connectivity which I have COMPLETELY agreed with the entirety of this "argument" we're having. I flat out said, if you enjoy the speed of USB 3 then that's great. But for MOST people who can't afford to run out and buy a new computer just because USB 3 is now included, USB 2 WILL WORK. End of discussion. I have said this many times and I'm tired of repeating myself. For the basic functionality of the device in question, it's not required, which in every meaning of the word, means it's not needed. Again, if you WANT to benefit from the added features of USB 3, I will never argue otherwise. But to say it's needed (which you're quite persistent on for some reason) is wrong.

Btw, I'm in NO way stupid, so don't say that just because you're mad that someone disagrees with you. Never once did I resort to personal attacks, so stop now.

You're the one who has been deliberately confrontational, considering you started attacking me for my opinions.

Yes, I may seem condescending to you, but that's only because you're trying to justify your point of view.

I don't know if this is some macho thing with you, but all your arguing is just plain nonsense and is making you look like a tit.

If someone has a fast USB3 device and wants to say "I need USB3" then it's a perfectly reasonable statement. If you want to go off arguing about the semantics of the word "need" then fine, but only a fool would do so.

Keep digging if you like, but you are just making yourself look more and more silly.

Last edited:

bAdNitro

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2012
Swoyersville, PA
I don't know if this is some macho thing with you, but all your arguing is just plain nonsense and is making you look like a tit.

If someone has a fast USB3 device and wants to say "I need USB3" then it's a perfectly reasonable statement. If you want to go off arguing about the semantics of the word "need" then fine, but only a fool would do so.

Keep digging if you like, but you are just making yourself look more and more silly.

Here we go again with the personal attacks because I've proved you wrong.:rolleyes:

Nothing about this is a "macho" thing with me. YOU attacked me for what I said. YOU continued to argue. Don't blame me because you started something and I finished it.

Just in this quote alone, I'm a fool, and a silly tit. This is the 3rd or 4th time you're personally attacking me for legitimately no reason. Never once did I resort to personal attacks on you. Just because your point of view in a discussion holds no water, doesn't give you the right to do that. You're acting like the kid in grade school who gets out smarted and resorts to cussing to try and sound tough.

Go and re-read the entire conversation and you'll realize you're the one who is making a fool of themselves.

soulreaver99

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2010
Southern California
Yeah it's a bad time to get a mini at this point. Wait a few weeks and see what apple will announce. However, if you come across a great deal on ebay, auction site or Craigslist, go for it.

I picked up a Mac mini 2011 i5 2.5ghz for $400 on the best buy auction Site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.