BAH HUMBUG...what are the Scrooges doing for the holidays?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MovieCutter, Dec 17, 2009.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Well, I'm going back to WI this weekend for the obligatory family gathering, but I'm only there for 3 days, the less time the better. I'm an atheist and I work in international news so I don't get time off and I don't care about xmas anyway, but I am thinking of bringing a bottle of Captain Morgan's to the movie theater after work and watching Avatar and Invictus...what are you guys up to?

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As of right now, working. My holiday cheer will happen Saturday and end Saturday. The rest is just me trying to forget the last couple of months.

3. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Figures you'd be the first one to respond ;)

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LOL why? Are you calling me a scrooge? I'll have you know I have a ton of xmas cheer. Cheer other days is non-existent. ;)

5. Grey Beard macrumors 65816

Grey Beard

It seems that the Grinch has run off with my festive cheer, and I am already certain that the Yule log won't burn either. So yes, I'll join you in a "Bah Humbug"

6. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

well "seasons greetings" to you then! :D

7. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Just spending it with my S/O. I've not really been into Christmas since my mom passed away. It will be three years this January. I hate holidays.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

LMFAO you sir are my hero of the day!!

Seasons greetings to you too!

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

I wish I had the nerve to do so, but the area I live in is sooo anal, it's not funny. I'd imagine I'd get arrested, so choose to do that in front of the HDTV with a DVD or soon to be BluRay (I have disks already <gifts & DVD/BluRay combo packs>, and plan to treat myself to a player as a self-given gift :p).

Otherwise, I'll spend a few hours on the evening of the 24th with family, and the 25th with one other member (family at war :rolleyes:).

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Holding a dying man's hand, or hiding from a violent drunk.

Fa la la la la.
    I don't normally drink, but stumbling home from Ninja Assassin sounds delightful.

11. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

See, now I ready to get into my bah humbug mood, but then it snowed, now I feel festive, it feels both wrong and weird.

Merry Christmas!

(Dammit)

12. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

See? No global warming!

*runs*

13. StephenCampbell macrumors 65816

Sorry if this is stupid or obvious, but no matter where I look, all I find is people talking about what they are doing for christmas, what they think of christmas, what christmas gifts they got, etc etc etc.

People Are aware that christmas doesn't Actually exist outside of human thought, right? It's not real. Humans just agree that the day that we call December 25th, is christmas day. December doesn't even exist, and neither does the number 25. We made it all up. You can have a pile of sticks there, but it's not "25 sticks" until humans invented language and numbers.

With something like numbers, you could argue that we've invented labels for things that do exist. I might agree.

But Christmas? The universe does not know or think that it's christmas. It doesn't exist. Do people realize this?

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Are you by chance a physicist? :eek: :D :p

15. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

time doesnt exist either......except it does

human laws dont exist either....yet you will feel the real consequences of breaking them

what you fail to recognize is that language and numbers were invented to describe reality. 25 sticks is 25 sticks, not a bundle of sticks

Months, like december, are used to describe reality. They are consistent year in and year out, hence why they are used

16. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

bah humbug! I have to work on Christmas Eve, otherwise I would be going to Connecticut to hang out with my In-Laws! As much as I get along with them I think I will be happier doing nothing, plus the bonus days of not having wifie around. Christmas Eve I am going to hang out with my Sister and her Boyfriend.

As for Christmas Day, I am having some of my refugee friends that have family elsewhere in the country that can't make it home over to my house to have some drinks and maybe go out to a bar. I would have gone to my parents house but I just don't feel like traveling half-way across the state to see them (we already did our Christmas thing last weekend anyway).

I guess the one good thing that came about this holiday season is that Christmas Day and New Years Day fall on a Friday. I don't think I could ask for anything better than that.

Anyway, Merry Christmas! (seriously I am not being sarcastic about having a merry christmas) Merry Christmas!

17. Gonzo3333 macrumors 6502a

Gonzo3333

Does anybody else find this thread offensive? J/K:D

18. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'll spend most of my time hurting children, undecorating decorated Christmas trees, and playing Mario Kart.

Sorry, I didn't intend to make any of you jealous.

19. blinkie macrumors regular

Isn't that personification? ;) Not very rational. :p

20. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Nihilism sounds like a good fit for you. Or whatever. It's not like it matters.

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Choir concert on the 23rd.
    Rockband 2 party on the 24th.
    Good food, present exchanging, good atmosphere and Doctor Who on the 25th.
    Aunts for a big family get together on the 26th.
    Big family get together here on the 31st, Rockband 2 present.
    Job interview and birthday in early Jan.
    And the first heavy snow day we have a bunch of us are going to a hike.

I'm finding it very hard to be bahhumbug about it all :D.

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Wow that sounds pathetic, and to be honest this thread is a downer.

I love the Christmas season, its the time we remember the miraculous birth of Christ. Plus my children are so excited for Christmas season, their joy is so infectious, one cannot help but be caught up in it. Finally, life is hard enough throughout the year, why not enjoy this season when everyone tries to put on some cheer and be a little nicer. Getting drunk in a movie theater seems sad and pitiable :(

23. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

From a mental health perspective holidays can be difficult. Typically, this is because of the tendency for self-reflection and life assessment that often is paired with "taking a break" from your normal routine. The emphasis on family can also be difficult for those that don't have positive family relationships or have lost their closest family members. Stress is another contributer to "holiday blues" as people put so much pressure on themselves to get everything "just right".

However, I must admit, that the metaphysical philosophical argument regarding man's perception of reality and existence is a new one for me. I've never seen that used as the basis for someone's holiday "scrooginess". I confess; I'm intrigued.

I enjoy the holidays, but must admit that there is a measure of hesitancy based on the potential for family drama that often occurs when you "force" all of one's family to spend time together. I'm sure I'm not alone in this as it's the basis for almost every holiday drama/comedy movie that has ever been made. Plus, my wife and our children are the one's that have to travel to everyone else since our respective families are about 12 hours away. Holiday travel has it's own level of unique "joy".

But hey, all in all, it's about attitude. Regardless of your spiritual beliefs, family traditions, economic state, or work schedule the holidays are what you decide to make of them.

24. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Season's Greetings! :D