Ballmer: Microsoft-Powered Tablets Are 'Job One Urgency'

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Steve Ballmer demoing Windows-based HP slate at CES in January 2010
CNET reports on comments from Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer today at the company's conference for financial analysts revealing that Apple's longtime rival is continuing to push full steam ahead on Windows-powered tablets, acknowledging Apple's early success with the iPad.
"They'll be shipping as soon as they are ready," Ballmer said, offering few details on the products, which he said will come from partners, not Microsoft itself. "It is job one urgency. No one is sleeping at the switch."

Speaking to financial analysts, Ballmer said the goal is "not just to deliver products, but to deliver products that people want to buy."

As for Apple and the iPad, Ballmer said, "they've sold certainly more than I'd like them to have sold."
Ballmer reports that the tablet hardware is set to be based on Intel processors rather than ARM chips, while running a flavor of the company's Windows 7 operating system rather than Windows Phone 7. The first devices are reportedly set to appear later this year.

At CES in January of this year, Ballmer briefly demoed a slate-style device from HP running Windows, but that device was put on hold with HP's acquisition of Palm. While HP is still sorting out its tablet strategy, it is beginning to appear that it may pursue Windows-based systems for enterprise and tablets running a modified Palm webOS for consumers.

Article Link: Ballmer: Microsoft-Powered Tablets Are 'Job One Urgency'

topmounter

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
And this is news how?

Tablets have been a priority for quite some number of years at Microsoft.

Maybe if he wanted to make (real) news, then he should have said "A Competitive tablet" or "A Good tablet" or "A Tablet that doesn't suck" is "Job One Urgency" at Microsoft.

blackpond

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
"not just to deliver products, but to deliver products that people want to buy."

This man is a genius...

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
I LOL my ass off... LOLMAO.

Didn't he cancel the tabs when Apple revealed the iPad price?
Wasn't there this weirdo vapor-ware thing in January?
Microsoft is a joke. Can't wait to see their offering: 3 lbs and constantly frozen, probably holds a ton in the 3.5" hard drive and has a ton of connectors and other useless things MS fanboys claim are necessary for a tablet.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
running a flavor of the company's Windows 7 operating system rather than Windows Phone 7
Mistake. Apple's use of a power-sipping mobile OS is what made the iPad what it is. There is no way a general-purpose PC operating system, especially one as bloated as Wince7, can provide that sort of generous longevity. Battery life was the iPad's killer app!

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
The guy just doesn't get it. His most loyal hardware partners can't run fast enough from the idea of building a Windows-powered tablet, and yet the "Windows everywhere" mantra persists. Apologies for the mental image, but someone needs to have a talk with the emperor about his clothes...

btbeme

macrumors regular
Jul 29, 2010
I hope it comes in brown!

Note to Ballmer: It isn't the hardware. Its the software nobody wants.

Xavier

macrumors 68030
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
You cannot deny now that Microsoft is indeed copying the concept. I mean look at the iPad compared to this!

definitive

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2008
ugh

why can't microsoft just admit their defeat. in a couple of years google and apple will be edging them out of the operating system and multimedia device market, and they're just sitting here, putting out their mediocre products. windows 7 is nice, but it's several years too late.