Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Or you can hang out on the beach and listen to it without fear sand and sea will damage it. Perspective.
Not every beach on the planet has high rise hotels up to the sand and a boardwalk. The beaches where I live in Scotland are wild.
P1010692.jpeg

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I had a B&O A1 ($250) that had incredible sound when new but that developed all kinds of quirks rather quickly, inconsistent battery life, connectivity, even sound, it’s main asset, degraded and sounded muffled, etc.

I am hesitant to trust them again, as someone said above me, their portable speakers sound really good but they tend to fail, longevity and build quality is simply not there for such expensive portable speakers.

Now that normality and travel are slowly coming back, Im in the market for a new portable speaker, so, I find this new product exciting but at the same time, the also new Sonos Roam seems like a good proposition at the same price point. And the Roam has Airplay 2, would love a comparison in the sound quality department.

hagar

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
I find the process of pairing and selecting Bluetooth devices annoying as hell. Don’t know if its the nature of BT or the iOS implementation but they never auto connect when I want them to, digging in the BT settings is cumbersome, there’s timeouts,…. Airplay is much better. There should be an Airplay for situations when there’s no WiFi

OliOliOliOli

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2019
I was thinking the same thing.. The only thing I want to hear when I'm out in the mountains is, well the sound of the mountains.. Otherwise, I can sit at home and enjoy my Beoplay A6..... Which will sound better anyway since it's 10x the size..
So you are not for the glamping?
1621511108930.png

apparatchik

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2008
I find the process of pairing and selecting Bluetooth devices annoying as hell. Don’t know if its the nature of BT or the iOS implementation but they never auto connect when I want them to, digging in the BT settings is cumbersome, there’s timeouts,…. Airplay is much better. There should be an Airplay for situations when there’s no WiFi

You can turn on your phone’s hotspot and airplay through that, for airplay/wifi enabled devices that is.

The $169 Sonos Roam has this capability, though I imagine it doesn’t sound as good as the bluetooth only $250 Beoplay A1 or this new $199 Beoplay Explore. Would love for someone to compared them all three.

hellosil

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2013
It's a portable Bluetooth device and battery powered. AirPlay works with Wi-Fi. It'd result a battery drain.
Yes, so AirPlay would be valuable when its plugged in.

For the 'scarce' moments that you're not hiking, probably like 99% of the time you live.

DanTSX

Suspended
Oct 22, 2013
I love B&O products. They look so stylish.
This one looks like an air freshener.

And it will look much worse after any real camping or hiking with that silly finish that will wear off onto whatever you have the speaker attached to.

Cancelled
Feb 5, 2021
This one looks like an air freshener.

And it will look much worse after any real camping or hiking with that silly finish that will wear off onto whatever you have the speaker attached to.
Ok maybe not that speaker so much but my Beosound 2 speakers still look and sound great.

Reactions: DanTSX

deebinem

Suspended
May 7, 2017
Great looking product, will check the reviews.
But the advertisement is funny: "Let's take 631g of asymmetrically arranged extra weight, and suffer throughout our multi-day overland hike, so at night we can litter the peaceful scenery with music we listen to any other day"
Yeah, that's why I only carried an additional 631g of asymmetrically arranged extra weight in the form of whiskey in a flask whenever we had a mutli-day overland hike.

• Love
Reactions: oreganoinferno

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
It’s funny. I’m an avid hiker and trekker, having gone on many 7-10 day long camping and trekking trips. I also love music and have an full house audio setup.

And I’ve never once seen a single person bring a speaker on a hike. Not once. Ever.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Vangeli

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2021
I don’t go hiking that often anymore because of the insane tick infestation in my state but when I did, I’d bring a small speaker not unlike this one and *quietly* play a podcast or audiobook along the hike.

I like the looks of this, wouldn’t use it for hiking but I’ll take a more durable portable aluminum speaker any day.

Reactions: peanuts_of_pathos

Rocko99991

macrumors 68000
Jul 25, 2017
Don't be a jerk and play your bluetooth music while around others outdoors. So many of these people on trails forcing their noise on to others.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
Portable speakers so morons can take their music where other people are forced to listen to it. dudes, get some earphones!

Portable speakers have ruined most parks for me. I dont understand how people dont realize other people dont want to listen to their music.

music is not allowed at our pool and yet there is always someone with their crappy speaker pretending to be the life of the party

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.