Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Premal212

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2017
London UK
Just got rid of my AirPod Maxes because they were clenching my jaw too much, to the point of pain! Was fannying around the internet looking for something to replace them, because they were the best headphones I've heard in a long time (price and ANC aside).

I really do hope these are the ones, they specifically mentioned 'lightweight' in their Amazon listing... I wonder why that's so important all of a sudden :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Here's me hoping for something decent... let's see!

jetjaguar

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2009
somewhere
I just went with the AirPods max for ease of connecting to all my apple devices .. I just wish it had this type of battery life

CJ Dorschel

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2019
Berlin
Random question

A friend of mine and I are considering starting our own podcast and I’m looking into Mic’s and equipment. The Blue Yeti Mic’s seem solid. I have the H8’s I planned to use on my Mac Pro (passed on the H9’s as I didn’t like the larger ear covers) but if the sound quality is better on the H9’s especially for podcasts and production work I might grab them esp as they lowered the price now. The H95 is too big but the HX’s don’t seem bigger than the H9’s which I’m guessing these replace. Will most likely be video Casting as well so I don’t want huge headsets.

I’m considering the Blue Yeticaster Pro as I like the arm and extra‘s for sound quality but if anyone has any other recommendations for Mic’s for podcasting/video casting and headphones I’ll buy you a bottle of whatever you love or these headphones :)

The H8’s I have had for 6 years (6 years!!? Time, man, wish I could bottle it) are great. Also have AirPod Pro’s but I want solid equipment for audio. Also looking into good apps. Have just about everything from Logic X Pro to MainStage to Loopback to dozens of media effects. i’ve never done a podcast so this is new territory for me.

Just looking at the H8’s vs the H9’s ear cups make the H9’s seem so large.
02B9633B-6427-414E-8536-38F56DB4DA40.jpeg

Last edited:

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Enjoy your VAT priced in. The US price doesn’t have any sales tax included.
Even if you consider sales tax, EU and UK prices are a joke.

Highest US sales tax - 9.47% as far as I am aware.

$499 = £364 = 422€ (approx rounded)

With sales tax the US price would be around $546.

$546 = £ 398 =462€

Even if the US had a 20% VAT, then the price would be $599

$599 = £437 = 506.34€

The VAT in the UK does not justify this rip off. Then again, Apple is doing the same now to European customers for the most part.

StoneJack

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2009
Random question

A friend of mine and I are considering starting our own podcast and I’m looking into Mic’s and equipment. The Blue Yeti Mic’s seem solid. I have the H8’s I planned to use on my Mac Pro (passed on the H9’s as I didn’t like the larger ear covers) but if the sound quality is better on the H9’s especially for podcasts and production work I might grab them esp as they lowered the price now. The H95 is too big but the HX’s don’t seem bigger than the H9’s which I’m guessing these replace. Will most likely be video Casting as well so I don’t want huge headsets.

I’m considering the Blue Yeticaster Pro as I like the arm and extra‘s for sound quality but if anyone has any other recommendations for Mic’s for podcasting/video casting and headphones I’ll buy you a bottle of whatever you love or these headphones :)

The H8’s I have had for 6 years (6 years!!? Time, man, wish I could bottle it) are great. Also have AirPod Pro’s but I want solid equipment for audio. Also looking into good apps. Have just about everything from Logic X Pro to MainStage to Loopback to dozens of media effects. i’ve never done a podcast so this is new territory for me.

Just looking at the H8’s vs the H9’s ear cups make the H9’s seem so large. View attachment 1749099
i think Blue Yeti have problems with Big Sur (because of USB issues)

• Sad
Reactions: CJ Dorschel

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL
Love to see innovation happen. Meanwhile Apple needs to buy beats to make acceptable speakers. Man those homepods are the worst. They got it so wrong they had to discontinue. I was one of those who bought it discounted thinking they would push better software for it. Plain sad.
Our family loves the HomePod. It get used 100s of times each day. My family of 6 ask it questions about famous people, elements of periodic table, to play a certain song, asking it to ping their iOS devices (because they keep misplacing them), asking about weather, and it acts as our home hub as well. Love the quality. It also recognizes each of our family members voice and answers accordingly.

incoherent_1

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2016
I love that these are simultaneously super expensive while also being affordable compared to the Max. :D

Gautam.

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
I bought a set of H9i's a couple of years ago, and they're easily the best I've owned. Great all-round sound quality, and very comfortable (even over extended use). Bluetooth between iOS devices (even with AirPods-like switching) works really well. I can pause music playback on my iPad, pick up my iPhone, and play from there without any re-pairing / fiddling. Great product, and well worth the price.

I'm sure the newer generation can only get better.
Same experience - I've had the H9i which were amazing. Unfortunately, the on/off switch broke, and they replaced them with H9 3rd gen. Easily the best headphones I've owned. Well worth the price. If I ever replace them, it'll be by a next-gen Beoplay.

Macintosh IIvx

Suspended
Mar 19, 2021
Suppose some are all about battery life. Even when traveling I can't say I'm ever away from a charging source that long that I need 35 hours of charge. If I'm traveling that light that I don't want to carry a charger or be near a charging source, hauling along big over-ear headphones isn't going to be happening and I'll go with AirPods instead.

Reactions: artfossil

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
Love B&O design sense. They always make stuff that looks fantastic...with pricing to match! These headphones are priced so low for B&O.

Loved their CD changers. So cool.

View attachment 1749093
Exactly. With their aesthetic and quality, I think B&O (or B&W) would have been a more compatible partnership or acquisition on Apple's side compared to the garish teenage-mass-appeal brand that was Beats. But I guess the bean counter in chief wanted to loop in the "youngsters" with his boomer sense of marketing driven "coolness".

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png.jpeg

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Actually, once VAT is removed the price is about the same. For example, in Austria the VAT is 83 Euros so the actual price is 416 Euros or about $490. US buyers would still pay sales tax in most states, adding about 20 to 40+ dollars to the cost.

Yea. I have a pair of the old wired B&O ear buds and they are very nice and well made. I wonder how the NC will compare to Bose/Sony? For me the better sound is nice but NC is the decider.
I recently did a shoot out between B&W PX7, Bose 700 and Sony XM4. I'd just worn out a pair of faithful Bose QC 35 and expected Bose to still have the lead over the others in terms of NC. Because Bose, right? I'd also previously tried the older, wired B&W P7, which hands down had the best fidelity of any earphone I'd every listened too, but obviously no NC - a deal breaker. Also way too heavy.

Surprisingly the Bose 700 were very middle of the road, and the NC nowhere near as good as I would have expected. The XM4 were not pleasant at all, at least to my ears. Very over emphasised, far too much DSP going on and with NC switched on a truly awful HF hiss. The PX7 were the best of all things. Better NC than Bose (believe it) and the sort of solid, warm sound that just made me smile, and want to listen to my music all over again. Excellent build quality, better weight, a useful case and a surprisingly simple and useful companion app.

If the B&O come close to that, they'll be doing well. But those round ear cups. As others have pointed out - ears are not (usually) round.

ikramerica

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2009
Indeed and Beats were pretty horrible at playing actual music, unless you love R&B and maximum bass. Maybe they have improved the sound quality under Apple's stewardship
Very funny episode of “News Radio” had conservative Bill loving rap music because he had the treble turned down in his car and didn’t know there were words. That’s Beats Audio...

joecomo

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Certainly these will be good headphones - but bluetooth pairing and switching will be
onerous.
I just linked my Sony WH-1000XM3 to an Apple TV and that was a pain in the a... compared to
the AirPods Pro.

Reactions: artfossil

roncron

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2011
Just an FYI: the case design that Bang & Olufsen is providing works better for travel protection than the AirPods Max case, but is less convenient for home use. Do you really want to zip/unzip a large case like this at home every time you want to grab the headphones or give them some protection when you put them down? That's what the AirPods Max case design does better. It wasn't really intended to be a travel case. It's more about fast access and convenience while also providing better protection than just leaving them out.
Fair point. But for me, at least, there's more need for a protective case when traveling. When I'm at home, I don't put my headphones in a case. I put them on a stand, or in a desk drawer, or on a bookshelf. Case not really needed at home. If I had small children or large dogs, I might want the case. But in that event, I'd probably want the more protective case, not the purse-style case that doesn't offer much protection.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.