Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I just got a pair of H9 Gen 3 a couple days ago (even knowing these were coming) and I have to say, they are pretty fantastic. The sound is good, the app and connection is better than most, and they are decently comfortable. Those may seem like low bars, but anyone that has shopped ANC headphones knows that most of them have dealbreakers in at least one of those areas.

About the round ear cups. Yes, they should be oval. No, these probably won't 100% envelope your ear. Having said that, after the first couple hours of use, it did not bother meet too much. They certainly are not on the comfort level of the QC35, but nothing is. I am going to do a stress test today at work. I plan to wear them for at least 4 hours. We will see how they feel then.

Comparing to the AirPods Max. The weight on the Max seems to be its achilles heal. This takes care of that. They will also sound better, have an actual case, and nearly double the battery life. And they do all of this for $50 less. Now the ear cups will be a dealbreaker for some, but then you have the AirPods weight to contend with. I don't see how the APM compete other than being an Apple product and the H1. I fear the APM may be the next HomePod with competition like this.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
Same experience - I've had the H9i which were amazing. Unfortunately, the on/off switch broke, and they replaced them with H9 3rd gen. Easily the best headphones I've owned. Well worth the price. If I ever replace them, it'll be by a next-gen Beoplay.
Good to hear they fixed it - they're good with warranties. Had an issue with a cable from an older set of H6's I had, and they sent me a new one (next day delivery too).

Really can't fault them at all, definitely worth the premium.

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Huh. I don’t seem to see very many people annoyed that you can’t replace the ear cups or the headband like they were with the AirPods max. Complainers gonna complain, I guess.

ADonmall

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2008
Random question

A friend of mine and I are considering starting our own podcast and I’m looking into Mic’s and equipment. The Blue Yeti Mic’s seem solid. I have the H8’s I planned to use on my Mac Pro (passed on the H9’s as I didn’t like the larger ear covers) but if the sound quality is better on the H9’s especially for podcasts and production work I might grab them esp as they lowered the price now. The H95 is too big but the HX’s don’t seem bigger than the H9’s which I’m guessing these replace. Will most likely be video Casting as well so I don’t want huge headsets.

I’m considering the Blue Yeticaster Pro as I like the arm and extra‘s for sound quality but if anyone has any other recommendations for Mic’s for podcasting/video casting and headphones I’ll buy you a bottle of whatever you love or these headphones :)

The H8’s I have had for 6 years (6 years!!? Time, man, wish I could bottle it) are great. Also have AirPod Pro’s but I want solid equipment for audio. Also looking into good apps. Have just about everything from Logic X Pro to MainStage to Loopback to dozens of media effects. i’ve never done a podcast so this is new territory for me.

Just looking at the H8’s vs the H9’s ear cups make the H9’s seem so large. View attachment 1749099
The H8 are on ear and the H9 over ear

Reactions: CJ Dorschel

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Love to see innovation happen. Meanwhile Apple needs to buy beats to make acceptable speakers. Man those homepods are the worst. They got it so wrong they had to discontinue. I was one of those who bought it discounted thinking they would push better software for it. Plain sad.
Apple had to buy beats so that Beats could start making acceptable headphones.

Reactions: theSeb

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
You get what you pay for. This one is lower-end than H95 for sure. But still interesting to see how it compares to AirPods Max, Sony XM4 and Bose 700.
I purchased the Sony XM4 and returned it a few days later. The sound was pretty great. Everything else about the product was horrific. Would not pair consistently with products aside from iPhone. In order to change any of the "smart features" on the device, you had to run a Sony app designed by morons that have horrific grammar and spelling issues. Often times I would see myself trying to troubleshoot issues by going to the FAQ and would find myself confused by what they were trying to say in broken English and incomplete sentences. The "smart features" like dimming audio for "transparency mode" made using them for gaming or zoom calls worthless (or if you wear them outside and talk to your dog your music is always shut off). Speaking of gaming... it would not connect often to my BT5 equipped PC and default to low power mode.

Replaced with AirPods MAX. If you're an apple user, nothing beats seeing your battery level integrated into all your OS you use. Not even slightly better sound and broken English FAQ /s

I read in another user's posts similar issues with the touchpad on the cups interacting with cold weather jacket collars... would be curious to hear how these react to slight touch as well.

mcfrazieriv

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
Love B&O design sense. They always make stuff that looks fantastic...with pricing to match! These headphones are priced so low for B&O.

Loved their CD changers. So cool.

View attachment 1749093

The 9000 was pre-HARMAN acquisition. Now it's just a brand stuffed into BMW vehicles and rebranded JBL with slightly better sound then it's sister Harman Kardon. And guess who owns HARMAN? Samsung!

Treasure this system you have.

Speaking of acquisitions. Samsung completed the HARMAN acquisition in 2016 (for $8B) probably in reaction to Apple buying Beats in 2014 ($4B). Why did Tim Cook throw billions at beats instead of HARMAN who owns these brands: B&O, Becker, BSS, Crown, Harmon Kardon, Infinity, JBL, Lexicon, Mark Levinson, Martin, Revel, Soundcraft and Studer.............

All so we could get Apple Music? Or was it Dr. Dre?

Last edited:

cihag

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
Even if you consider sales tax, EU and UK prices are a joke.

Highest US sales tax - 9.47% as far as I am aware.

$499 = £364 = 422€ (approx rounded)

With sales tax the US price would be around $546.

$546 = £ 398 =462€

Even if the US had a 20% VAT, then the price would be $599

$599 = £437 = 506.34€

The VAT in the UK does not justify this rip off. Then again, Apple is doing the same now to European customers for the most part.
Well... It‘s 499 EUR incl. 19% VAT, that‘s 420 EUR without VAT. And yes:
420 EUR = 495 USD, so pretty close to my understanding.

and as others have pointed out, in GB it‘s 449£ (Not 499).

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
I purchased the Sony XM4 and returned it a few days later. The sound was pretty great. Everything else about the product was horrific. Would not pair consistently with products aside from iPhone. In order to change any of the "smart features" on the device, you had to run a Sony app designed by morons that have horrific grammar and spelling issues. Often times I would see myself trying to troubleshoot issues by going to the FAQ and would find myself confused by what they were trying to say in broken English and incomplete sentences. The "smart features" like dimming audio for "transparency mode" made using them for gaming or zoom calls worthless (or if you wear them outside and talk to your dog your music is always shut off). Speaking of gaming... it would not connect often to my BT5 equipped PC and default to low power mode.

Replaced with AirPods MAX. If you're an apple user, nothing beats seeing your battery level integrated into all your OS you use. Not even slightly better sound and broken English FAQ /s

I read in another user's posts similar issues with the touchpad on the cups interacting with cold weather jacket collars... would be curious to hear how these react to slight touch as well.
To be fair, the pause when talking feature can be turned off. Also, every Bluetooth headphone shows its battery life in iOS. That is not unique to AirPods.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Well... It‘s 499 EUR incl. 19% VAT, that‘s 420 EUR without VAT. And yes:
420 EUR = 495 USD, so pretty close to my understanding.

and as others have pointed out, in GB it‘s 449£ (Not 499).
My mistake. I read price as 499/499/499 as above. I have enlisted myself into the school for kids who can't read good.

• Haha
Reactions: Asthmatic Kitty

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
Bleh. No sell. I already tricked myself into buying both solo3 and Bose 700 - never buying another pair where the ear cushions are leather imitation. It gets sticky and hot and unpleasant after half an hour, and then it's downhill from there. These are of real skin from two animals, meaning I'll feel like a grade A ****** _and_ get all the discomfort of the synthetic ones. Not an improvement.

Give me fabric earpads like on my studio DT-770s which remain comfortable thru 12 hour sessions, or I'm keeping my money, thx.

Last edited:

EugenesSoggySalami

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2020
I bought H9I headphones from B&O few years back and they sucked, I didn't find a single good thing about them. I returned them after 2 days and got myself a pair of Bose QC35 II 2's.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
I can't deal with headphones in this price range that look indistinguishable from a wide range of generic $100-$300 headphones from the most mainstream hifi brands.

Why does basically every manufacturer think this is how headphones need to look like?

I'm sure they sound great. But at that price they should stand out visually more than this.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
I can't deal with headphones in this price range that look indistinguishable from a wide range of generic $100-$300 headphones from the most mainstream hifi brands.

Why does basically every manufacturer think this is how headphones need to look like?

I'm sure they sound great. But at that price they should stand out visually more than this.
Everybody who knows will spot the BO on the side and will realise how much money you spent. Maybe they will release a gold tinted version for people who need the increased visual pizzaz to show the proles that these headphones are not some mere <$300 headphones.

Reactions: MoJoRo and nathansz

EugenesSoggySalami

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2020
Bleh. No sell. I already tricked myself into buying both solo3 and Bose 700 - never buying another pair where the ear cushions are leather imitation. It gets sticky and hot and unpleasant after half an hour, and then it's downhill from there. Give me fabric earpads like on my studio DT-770s which remain comfortable thru 12 hour sessions, or I'm keeping my money, thx.

If you want a fabric ones I would highly recommend Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Carbon Edition headphones.

Springman

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Just an FYI: the case design that Bang & Olufsen is providing works better for travel protection than the AirPods Max case, but is less convenient for home use. Do you really want to zip/unzip a large case like this at home every time you want to grab the headphones or give them some protection when you put them down? That's what the AirPods Max case design does better. It wasn't really intended to be a travel case. It's more about fast access and convenience while also providing better protection than just leaving them out.
Agreed. I bought a pair of Max's a few weeks ago and while the case isn't great, it does work really well around the house which is where I have used them so far. We are traveling this weekend and did pick up a carrying case to give them a little more protection for $29 on Amazon. BTW, I am really enjoying my Airpod Max's - amazing!

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
If you want a fabric ones I would highly recommend Bowers & Wilkins PX7 Carbon Edition headphones.
Will definitely look into those, thanks. I know the AirPods Max are also fabric, but I'm not buying those purely on principle (I laughed at the price for 5 minutes straight - in Sweden they're 6695 SEK, i.e. 720 USD. That's longer than I laughed at the $1000 monitor stand)

Reactions: EugenesSoggySalami

ImAlwaysRight

macrumors 6502a
$250 for (Apple) earbuds and $500 for over the ear headphones. smh

I enjoy good sound, run full receiver and 7.1 audio on my 75/58" 4K TVs at home. That said, for portable sound, I did my homework and got excellent quality earbuds and headphones at Amazon at the cost of $18/$43, respectively, after lightning deal (were $50/$70 list). Aukey and TaoTronics. More than adequate for portable sound, and they sound great. I'm even very wealthy. I'm just not stupid.

Reactions: Anuba
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.