Banks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mikes63737, Jun 13, 2008.

?

Which bank do/have you use/used, and do you like the bank?

1. Bank of America, Like It

13 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Bank of America, Hate It

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  3. TD Banknorth, Like It

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  4. TD Banknorth, Hate It

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Webster Bank, Like It

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  6. Webster Bank, Hate It

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. None of the above / other / don't use a bank

20 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm looking for a new bank. I currently use Bank of America and I hate them. Nothing is easy and they keep messing up and charging me fees.

So, the three major banks around here are Bank of America, TD Banknorth, and Webster Bank. Does anyone have experience with any of these banks?

I would be getting a (free) savings account, and a (free) checking account with debit/check card.

2. gonyr macrumors 6502

Do you have HSBC near you? I've been with them for years. Pretty good service, and any rare problem that has popped up has always been easily taken care of. Might want to give them a try if it's convenient.

3. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

No, at least not within 25 miles of me. That's exactly what I'm looking for, though.

4. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

is there a branch of Citibank nearby? I've been using Bank of America for years without any problems but I've noticed that a friend who uses Citibank often seems to get faster processing on various things like online bill payments and so forth.

5. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah there is but I think that the branch is closing, and the next closest one is quite a distance away.

6. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

How about Wells Fargo? They've always (well, mostly) done right by me.

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Wells Fargo is mostly a west coast thing. There's not many over in the northeast.

I'm with Bank of America. No complaints. Their online banking service is nice, too. And it's nice having BoA ATMs literally everywhere.

8. deannnnn macrumors 68000

deannnnn

9. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

Unfortunately, neither of those are near me. Like I said, it's really between BofA, TDB, or Webster.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the second two aren't here in chicago so i can't vouch for them. but BoA just bought out one of the huge banks last year. and well i can't stand them, so you're right to stay away from them imo.

11. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

I never chose them either. I was using Fleet and they bought them out.

12. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

I have my "emergency fund" at Bank of America. Easy access to my cash anywhere in the country should I need it. Look to join Credit Unions for everything else.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm not sure if they have much of a presence outside of the midwest, but I've been with US Bank for years and they're great.

14. aristobrat macrumors G4

Same.

Love the online service! I'm still amazed that I can make a deposit at an ATM and by the time I drive home (5 minutes) it's listed online as "Pending". I also like how my roommate (who also has BofA) can use it to easily transfer rent money from his acct into my acct. The email alerts you can setup on your acct are pretty cool, too.

I still trip out over how the ATM "scans" your checks as you feed them individually in (when making a deposit). It's so nice to not have to worry about a freaking deposit slip and envelope! (I guess other banks also have ATMs like that, but not around here!) :)

I've had them for about a year now and haven't had any problems, knock on wood.

15. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Credit Unions. Much nicer and don't have retarded fees.

16. mikes63737 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've had them for 3 years before I started having any problems with them. Good Luck!

Their web interface is nice, but my deposits take about a day to show up as pending. (Because ours still use envelopes.)

That's one of the only things I like about them other than their web interface. If they stopped stealing money from me that'd be nice too.

17. Dave00 macrumors 6502a

Ugh, not Wells Fargo. I have a bone to pick with them, which I'll detail in a minute, but the questions was actually what bank to pick. I've been with First Internet Bank of Indiana (www.firstib.com) for the past 7 years. I'd never go anywhere else. Free checking with interest, free checks, reimbursement of all ATM fees (no more trying to find an ATM without a surcharge), quick and responsive customer service, intuitive web site & bill pay. The only thing you lose is being able to actually walk into the bank - so if you need a large cash withdrawal, or aren't comfortable depositing cash at an ATM, it may not be for you. For this I have a small account at a local bank, and I can transfer money between the two electronically. If you do decide to use this bank and want 10 bucks, there is a customer referral program - just pm me.

On to Wells Fargo. I decided to use their brokerage because they advertise that if you have more than $25,000 in loans (exclusive of mortgages) or investments, you can trade for free. So I set up my account, traded a stock, and got charged a fee. I asked why; they told me my student loans don't count towards the $25,000. This is mentioned nowhere in their website or other promotional materials. I closed the account and will never do business with them again.

18. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

National City is good, never had a problem with them for my checking or savings, plus the online features are nice.

FNB (First National Bank) is also good.

I am sorry I never heard or seen the banks you listed around here.

19. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I 2nd go look at a credit union. They have higher interested rates on accounts, Lower minuim balance and less to no fees. They also offer the same online services as the big banks. So free bill pay, free online account access.

Get a credit union on the list provided by this site http://www.cuservicecenter.com/ and the draw back to few banchs is lost because you can access it at ANYONE of those credit unions on the list. For example my credit union is located in Houston and I live in Dallas. I have both pulled and deposit money here in Dallas though another credit union on the list.

I hate Wells Fargo. They screw me out of 60 bucks a while ago because I was put into one of there higher account severces with out being told then my balanced dropped below they requirment and I got slammed with fees. I closed out the account very quickly. They have amount the highest fees and lowest intersted rates on accounts among the banks.

20. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

I guess I'll be the official downer here but I can't help but think how stupid it is to post to an international forum, a question about which *local* bank in your area, or your particular country is "the best," without even mentioning what country/area you are from or in.

The underlying assumption, that everyone on this forum, and indeed the entire Internet, is from *your* country is kind of insulting. Funny how that particular countries citizens are the only ones that do this, isn't it?

And people still wonder why many folks find USA to be an arrogant country full of navel gazers, with no clue about the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

21. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

You do realize it says "Connecticut" under his avatar?

22. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I used to have BofA, and then switched when my wife and I got engaged. She had Washington Mutual and seemed happy, so I moved all my accounts over to WaMu and haven't looked back.

No complaints so far.

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

1. His avatar says he's from Connecticut.
    2. He says his current bank is Bank of America. That kind of implies that he lives in the US.
    3. A lot of banks are national chains and have locations across the country, so location within the US isn't important.

I agree that most people in the USA are arrogant with no clue about the rest of the world, but people in the rest of the world try to find things wrong with Americans when in fact, there's nothing there.

24. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

I should point out first of all that this very website is based in the United States, and that Apple, the company that most of us are on here to talk about, is also based in the United States.

However, there is obviously quite a bit of discussion on this site that pertains to most every country in the world. Including several topics I come across every day that have nothing to do with the United States or even Apple at all. Some how though, I've never felt compelled to barge in the middle of any of those threads and complain about their existence though. Probably because I would have no good reason to ever do so anyway.

So just because this particular topic doesn't apply to you at all personally, you had to come in the middle of it and make an off topic complaint about it? And then go on a rant stereotyping everyone here from the USA and calling them arrogant and insulting? It sounds like you're the one with no clue about the rest of the world. :rolleyes:

25. gmecca2 macrumors regular

I haven't heard of the other two but I can say being a BoA credit card holder for the past 8 years I am definitely impressed with their customer service. They never charge me ridiculous fees like my other bank $10.00 for 2 replacement debit cards when my wallet was stolen. The banks make money every time I swipe my card and I use it for every purchase, even for those as small as when McDonalds wants to charge me 10cents for extra sauce.

The only problems I have had with them is hold periods on my new checking account since I relocated. They put a two week hold on the insurance check I received after my motorcycle was stolen.

BoA is nationwide so it also works well when traveling.

As to other wait periods, I think they are very quick to credit accounts and send payments. I don't know what you are doing wrong.