Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NilesSteve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Thought I'd give FACETIME a try, so I bought it for .99.

Never worked, kept saying: "Please check your network connection and try again." I tried multiple fixes after checking online, and after a day of trying, thought: "This is ridiculous for an apple product. They should support this"

My device (2007) was out of warranty, so they wanted $20 for phone support! The problem is not with the device, it''s the software! How Apple could say because the device is out of warranty, so we will not support the software you just bought, is beyond me. Make sense to you?

And a $20 charge for a product that cost me .099 is especially ridiculous, especially when you consider the app(FaceTime) is being given away for free to new hardware owners. I had to ask for a refund, and then they told me I would never be able to download it again if they did that.

I guess I'm banned from FaceTime forever, because the software would not work. Extremely disappointed.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
What device do you have?
Also 2007? I could be wrong, but what device that is 6 years old supports FaceTime?

Last edited:

NilesSteve

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2007
Thanks for the comments

For the record I have a mid 2007 iMac with Intel Core 2 Due, with 2GB RAM,
I was mainly posting to highlight the fact that Apple can ban you from an app if you can't get it to work, and then ask for a refund when they fail to support it.

The issue seems to be a common one, from googling the problem, and I tried all the fixes I could find. No luck with any of them.

My point is that the software is brand new, so their claim that my hardware if out of warranty is a red herring.

Dopeyman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2005
Los Angeles!
For the record I have a mid 2007 iMac with Intel Core 2 Due, with 2GB RAM,
I was mainly posting to highlight the fact that Apple can ban you from an app if you can't get it to work, and then ask for a refund when they fail to support it.

The issue seems to be a common one, from googling the problem, and I tried all the fixes I could find. No luck with any of them.

My point is that the software is brand new, so their claim that my hardware if out of warranty is a red herring.

Which OS are you running? Which version of FaceTime are you running?

Also, I doubt that apple banned you from using FaceTime... Maybe your firewall or a setting that you're forgetting to set?

As soon as you open the app, does it give you the error right away?

Last edited:

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
At what point did you get banned?

From what you describe, it sounds like something is wrong with your Internet connection.

If you have issues, you can call Apple for a refund.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm sure that you have not been banned from using FaceTime. Sure, it doesn't work for you, but that appears to be an issue either with your computer or your Internet connection. Apple would not have flagged your account as "can't use FaceTime".

It sounds like Apple did indeed allow you to pursue a refund, so if you can't get FaceTime to work then you should proceed with that. If your argument is that you won't be able to access the software after doing a refund, then I don't understand; if you haven't paid for it (or, in this case, "unpaid") then why would you expect to be able to use it?

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
And a $20 charge for a product that cost me .099 is especially ridiculous, especially when you consider the app(FaceTime) is being given away for free to new hardware owners.

The charge for support is related to the cost of the support, not to the cost of the supported product. Ask an electrician how much he charges to come to your home and screw in a lightbulb. Or let's see: If I hold a $0.99 light bulb in my hand, for how much would you be willing to come to my home and screw it in for me?

MagnusVonMagnum

macrumors 603
Jun 18, 2007
You know Apple DOES have support OTHER than phone calls, right? I've had issues with iTunes and what not and I submit the problem and someone gets back to me in email. It never cost me a dime. They refunded AppleTV movies that gave errors, etc.

And not being able to run something is not the same as being "banned" from something. The subject heading is extremely misleading.

I personally find Facetime to be awful as it glitches often with my Logitech 910C HD cam. Skype works way better here with better picture quality (ironic a M$ product runs webcams better than Apple but then some of Apple's webcams are crap anyway. My mother's 2012 MBP's picture over Facetime or Skype is vastly inferior to my Logitech's 720P output.

abz1981

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2011
Em am I missing something here. Are we talking about the FaceTime that comes included on your iPhone and Mac etc. I never knew FaceTime is an app on it's own too?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Yes,
FaceTime is included with the system after 10.7
For 10.6.6 (Snow Leopard), it's a separate purchase from the App Store.

Troubleshooting software through Apple, even with free software, will have the support charge when the hardware is out of warranty.

And - "banned from using FaceTime" is a bit misstated. The App Store will block you from purchasing software again after you have received a refund for that software, that's all.

I know there's a principle involved here - but seems a little over the top to complain about software that is essentially a first gen kludge on Snow Leopard.
And - FaceTime is a free feature of Lion or higher. Nothing would prevent you from upgrading to 10.7 or higher - and using FaceTime then.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.