Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

markb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
What does this Facebook banner mean? This is the bottom on my iPhone screen while switching apps:

IMG_3042.PNG

I also see a Facebook logo in the bottom left corner of my lock screen. I can use it to launch the Facebook app, but I can't make it go away. And Facebook isn't supposed to know my location while the app is not running. It seems to have started after updating to iOS 10.

username:

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2013
It's AI predicting what app you want to use next based on your location. Facebook doesn't know your location, the phone does.
You can turn of certain location based services in

Settings> privacy > location services

markb1

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 14, 2015
Oh, ok. So now that you mention it, I recall this happening with the Starbucks app when am near to a Starbucks. That's actually kind of convenient. And it's a lot more obvious what's going on. But suggesting that I launch Facebook whenever I'm home seems like something has gone awry.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Dukeie

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2015
Oh, ok. So now that you mention it, I recall this happening with the Starbucks app when am near to a Starbucks. That's actually kind of convenient. And it's a lot more obvious what's going on. But suggesting that I launch Facebook whenever I'm home seems like something has gone awry.

I believe it's suggesting you use facebook because you use it a lot at home at that time of day. If I remember correctly that how it works.

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016

It's not just location based, but time based too. Perhaps you tend to check Facebook regularly at that time?

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
I get the same banner with Infuse at bedtime, since it knows I use the app at the same time to fall asleep with (the wife snores a bit) ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.