Barack Obama and Steve Jobs Meeting Today to Discuss Economy and Technology

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacRumors, Oct 21, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Silicon Alley Insider briefly reported earlier today that President Barack Obama was scheduled for a one-on-one meeting with Apple CEO Steve Jobs today following Obama's arrival in the Bay Area for a fundraising visit.He's speaking at Google exec Marissa Mayer's house in Palo Alto this evening.

Before that, says a source familiar with the details, he may have a one-on-one meeting with Steve Jobs.Bloomberg now follows up, noting that the two are scheduled to meet at a San Francisco hotel for about 45 minutes to discuss several topics, including issues related to technology and the economy.Obama and Jobs are scheduled to meet for about 45 minutes at a San Francisco hotel for a discussion on the economy and technology issues, Gibbs said.

"This is a meeting the president was interested in having," Gibbs told reporters traveling with Obama. "He's eager to talk to him about the economy, innovation and technology, education."According to the report, Jobs and Obama last met in 2008 during the presidential campaign.

Note: Due to the inevitable political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Barack Obama and Steve Jobs Meeting Today to Discuss Economy and Technology

2. No ice please macrumors 6502

Maybe Obama will learn something. Like how to run a country.

3. thevofl macrumors regular

It's a trap!!!!! Steve stay away!!!!!! You don't need Obama's involvement and suggestions.

4. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

If only Steve were president. Can you imagine how awesome the USA would be? Holy hell!.:eek:

5. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

To those who are curious...

The reason that posting in discussions in the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum is limited to forum members with a history of 100 or more posts is that it allows current forum members to express their opinions but avoids a problem that is common at other websites (and at this website in the past), where outsiders with no interest in Apple discussions join merely to make trolling hit-and-run political posts.

6. iLoveMyApple macrumors 6502a

iLoveMyApple

This will turn into a political debate in

7. PorterRocks macrumors 6502

PorterRocks

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I would very much like to know the specifics of their conversation and what kind of outcome there will be (if any). It should be good anyways.

8. sphoenix macrumors regular

sphoenix

9. thevofl macrumors regular

Actually, I think it would be a great idea.

10. dermeister macrumors 6502

dermeister

Let me guess, Obama will beg Steve to become Economic Czar of the country.

//Atlas Shrugged

11. miknos macrumors 6502a

miknos

Me too. I just hope it is about asking Jobs advice and not about joining or contributing to the government in a way that conflict with the interest of the citizens.

Or... Maybe Obama will ask a discount for iPads? :p

12. NicoleRichie macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

So what type of gift will Obama have for Steve and what will steve have for Obama?

13. herr_neumann macrumors 6502

herr_neumann

I have a 6pm in downtown SF and this is bound to f-up traffic....

14. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I don't. Steve Jobs is an awesome CEO of Apple but greatly lacks in diplomacy--we'd be in WWIII in less than a year. :)

15. Xavier macrumors 68020

16. ThunderSkunk macrumors 68020

ThunderSkunk

Perhaps he just wanted to talk to someone not spewing doom & gloom for a change.

"Hi Steve, how's business?"
    "Great!"
    "How are you guys doin in this economy?"
    "Great!"
    "How does the future look to you?"
    "Great!"
    "This was refreshing, thank you. ...can we do this once a week?"

& Yea. Steve Jobs would make a great president. ...of North Korea!

17. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Obama's lack of real world experience is showing and damaging the country - he is all about sound bites and votes - can't comprehend how the real economy operates.

I was so disgusted with Bush, the Republicans and the horrible bouncing of the wall campaign that McCain ran that I voted for Obama - thought he couldn't be any worse.

Was I ever so wrong......

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Yes, because countries should be run the same as for-profit corporations.:rolleyes:

19. Island Dog macrumors 6502a

Island Dog

Give Obama an iPad with the Constitution on it. Maybe then he will read it.

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Obama is cool with AT&T having exclusive coverage, but wants to access Flash-based sites like Fox News on his iPad. My money says Jobs stands firm.

21. barkomatic macrumors 68040

How has Obama been worse? If it weren't for him we'd be in a true economic depression right now. Perhaps you've also forgotten how horrible Bush was at diplomacy.

We are in the "bust" part of the economic cycle and its going to take time to get out of it.

22. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

Some may already know, but Obama was very instrumental in getting Apple/Mac into the White House. Prior to his arrival the WH was mostly Windows XP, and some 7 [figures...Bush...]

23. crisss1205 macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

Jobs 2012!

[​IMG]

24. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    He's talking to Jobs to get money. He'll nod and smile, then cash the check.

25. kmaute macrumors 6502

kmaute

+1

Obama could learn quite a few things by watching the efficiency of Apple's teams. Less is more Barry!

[​IMG]