Barclays Confirms Apple Pay Support in Future, First Direct and HSBC Delayed Until Later This Month

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jul 14, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Barclays today announced that it will support Apple Pay for debit and credit cards in the United Kingdom in the future, confirming a MacRumors report that claimed the bank expected "imminent" support of the mobile payments service.

Apple Pay officially launched in the U.K. earlier today and can be used at more than 250,000 locations across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A full list of retail shops and apps that accept Apple Pay can be found on Apple's website.

Apple has also updated its Apple Pay participating banks list in the U.K. and moved First Direct and HSBC to the "coming soon" section. First Direct has confirmed on Twitter that Apple Pay will be "available later in July," while HSBC tweeted that it will be "launching Apple Pay by the end of this month." It was expected that the banks would support Apple Pay in the U.K. at launch today.

[​IMG]

The full list of U.K. financial institutions that currently support Apple Pay per Apple's website includes American Express, MBNA, Nationwide, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander and Ulster Bank. The banks listed under coming soon include Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank and TSB. As of today's announcement, Barclays should be added to that list soon as well.

Article Link: Barclays Confirms Apple Pay Support in Future, First Direct and HSBC Delayed Until Later This Month

2. markfc macrumors 6502a

markfc

Glad I moved to Nationwide. Just bought my first Apple Pay lunch at Co-Operative. :)

1st person to do it to so had a little staff crowd watching.

3. Lostanddamned macrumors 6502a

Lostanddamned

Bit of a disappointment there First Direct… Oh well, don’t have any money anyway…

4. naquada macrumors newbie

Capital One need to pull their finger out.. like Barclays, they advised that they were going to providing their own NFC solution and didn't have immediate plans to support Apple Pay... I got the impression they would provide similar 'stickers' 'keyfobs' and 'bracelets' for NFC payments like Barclays planned, and not enter into Apple Pay (even though they do in the US!)

5. SoyCapitanSoyCapitan macrumors 601

SoyCapitanSoyCapitan

Stickers, fobs and bracelets is not what people want

6. UKPoliticsGuy macrumors regular

Does anyone know if banks need to implement significant infrastructure changes? or is it a case of just ticking 'Apple Pay' on the options of a contactless vendor machine?

I can't understand why Barclays is pissing about.

7. 0098386 Suspended

8. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

'Future' is too vague, it could be Christmas 2015 for all we know.

9. rob25255 macrumors regular

rob25255

Speaking as a First Direct customer who was looking forward to using it I recall from the announcement at WWDC Apple said HSBC/First Direct would be launching in July. That still stands so while its disappointing that they are not here today it's not really delayed is it? It still will be coming in the July time frame.

10. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

More doublespeak from Barclays - "In the future" is ridiculously vague and a desperate attempt to stop customers leaving. Noticed a cheeky post from Sandtander support to one of the tweeted replies pointing people at their switch help page :)

11. DannyT2011 macrumors member

Maybe they were stalling so they could brag about bPay and how successful it wasn't

12. Zxxv, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

Zxxv macrumors 68040

Wish I wrote the headlines and articles. Maybe I should start a website.

Yours

Mine

I like mine better :)

13. 0098386 Suspended

I dunno, out of all options available I think I'd prefer a keyring fob. Robust, doesn't need a battery, keys are always on me. I'd like that.

14. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

15. snaky69 macrumors 603

Canada's had all the hardware at 90% of stores for NFC payments for YEARS, the US barely knows what a credit card with a chip and pin is.

I don't get it. What the hell is Apple waiting for to launch it here?

16. guicane macrumors regular

guicane

Were I canadian I'd be even more pissed off hehe

17. Joe Rossignol Editor

Joe Rossignol

Staff Member

Canada should be next on Apple's roadmap. We're well prepared as you say. So was the UK.

WSJ said Apple Pay will launch in Canada in November earlier this year.

18. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

I think its Drake's turn to write an open letter to Apple.

19. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

Yep, "Barclays will have matter transportation units in all their branches in the future. Keep an eye on our twitter for updates"

20. Hustler1337 macrumors 68000

Hustler1337

Thank goodness it wasn't declined due to insufficient funds :)

21. andyyardley macrumors member

It's a reasonably significant change as it requires an integration not just with Apple but also with the schemes tokenisation engines to generate the tokenised card number. After that you also have to implement the necessary out of bounds messages (text, emails, calls, etc) to ensure security of the system. It was this last part the US banks rushed and why they ended up with a load of fraud.

You then also have to hand over 10-15 basis points (i.e. in the EU most of your profit on card payments)

Barclays have delayed because they have other competing products which would be more profitable for them if they can get critical mass. But thats a big ask and at the moment looks like a losing strategy.

22. CasparAremi macrumors newbie

It is delayed though, as they were initially going to be available on launch day, and now they are not. So it's still 'in July' but that isn't what the delay is referring to.

23. Al3004, Jul 14, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2015

Al3004 macrumors newbie

Majorly disappointed in HSBC, delaying ApplePay until later. Come on HSBC get your act together. I wish I banked with someone else !!

24. rivalius13 macrumors newbie

You might want to learn the difference between lose and loose before you start registering that domain name.

25. thekeyring macrumors 68040

We've had contactless payments in the U.K. for a while, too. I would imagian Canadian Apple Pay is on the horizon. :)