Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barclays appears to have enabled much-anticipated support for Apple Pay in the United Kingdom during the early morning hours on Tuesday.

A growing number of Barclays customers on Twitter have been successfully able to add their debit or credit cards from the large British bank to Apple Pay since shortly after midnight local time.

Barclays.jpg
Screenshot courtesy of MacRumors reader James Richards

Barclays was notably absent from the list of banks and participating issuers supporting Apple Pay when the mobile payments service first expanded to England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland in July 2015.

Barclays cardholders can set up Apple Pay through the Wallet app on iOS 8.1 or later. Bank-issued cards can be scanned or added manually by tapping the "Add Credit or Debit Card" option. Follow the on-screen verification steps.

Apple Pay is also supported at Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank, MBNA, Nationwide, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander, Tesco Bank, TSB, and Ulster Bank in the United Kingdom.

Article Link: Barclays Finally Supports Apple Pay in United Kingdom

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Yay more banks!

Also, I wonder how much of a haircut Apple had to accept compared to the other UK banks. It wouldn't really surprise me if Apple's cut is near/at zero for Barclays.

iGeek2014

macrumors 68020
Jun 29, 2014
=== Nowheresville ===
I so nearly very tried in the early hours of this morning to see if they'd finally enabled it.

To those who've joined the Apple Pay party, welcome! We've been expecting you ;-).

It's worth pointing out if your Barclays Visa Debit card isn't contactless (and can't be used for offline transactions i.e. Pay at the Pump) you wouldn't be able to use the service, sorry.

Aarnt

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2015
Still nothing in Netherlands - i hope Apple will develop this soon

Bob95

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2014
Still nothing in Netherlands - i hope Apple will develop this soon

Don't need apple pay, they just need to open the NFC for third party developers, so that for example ING kan just do the same they have done with their Android app.

iLoveDeveloping

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2009
Ireland
Finally? Oh Ye such a hard wait, meanwhile in the rest of the world no word of Apple Pay yet... Poor babies had to wait so long! Can you tell the sarcasm?!

GreatOldOne

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2005
Herding Nerfs
Successfully added both my Barclays debit cards. I still done know why it took so long. I helped put the encryption in place for the team doing the implementation, ages ago. They seemed to bugger about and not do anything with it for months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.