Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
I bought the iPhone 6 Plus with the hope of being able to use Apple Pay in the following few months since its release. It's been over 1 year that I've had my 6 Plus and I have never been able to use Apple Pay because my bank doesn't support it. Every time I look at my Wallet app, it's empty - kinda the same feeling when you look at your real wallet and see it empty. Now I'm being told that I have to wait until 'Early 2016'? I'm frustrated.

Apple took a while to release Apply Pay in the UK whilst the US got Apple Pay much sooner. That meant that customers like me who bought the 6 Plus with the hope of using Apple Pay on the device lost out on a feature which was heavily marketed by Apple on the 6 Plus.

Now that Apple Pay is here, I can't even use it because my bank doesn't even support it and won't do until 1.5 years since the 6 Plus was released in 2014.

/rant.

I would switch that account to a bank which supports Apple Pay if I were you.

xero9

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2006
Apple took a while to release Apply Pay in the UK whilst the US got Apple Pay much sooner. That meant that customers like me who bought the 6 Plus with the hope of using Apple Pay on the device lost out on a feature which was heavily marketed by Apple on the 6 Plus.

In all fairness it was never marketing towards us by Apple. Unless you watch US commercials or watching WWDC keynote. It sucks that it's not rolling out any faster, but just because the phone is technically capable of something doesn't mean you're going to get to use it.

This phone has supported VoLTE since day 1 yet it gets no love from most carriers. Kind of the same thing.

Ellmer

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2009
Brighton, UK
About damn time. Seriously. Probably the best news I've read on this site. Wish they'd have actually announced it though or replied to one of my numerous twitter rants, jaja.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I think it's just going to take a while for the retailers to get their terminals/software updated.

Which retailers have you had >£45 success at? If they are national retailers that is.
If you count Apple Stores in that, I have paid for my new iPhone with Apple Care+ with Apple Pay.

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
I can understand people moving their current accounts if they don't want to wait for Barclays to implement ApplePay but people changing their mortgages to make some kind of point - seriously!

Surely you choose your mortgage based on something other than whether that bank supports a payment mechanism in shops or not.

SadBoyPro

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
"We have signed up for ApplePay and will launch it very early in the New Year. We truly value your custom and hope that you continue to bank with us particularly since we are launching this shortly."

This seems like it was written by Ashok from Dilbert rather than Ashok VP of Corporate and Personal Banking.

It is also clear that Barclays is trying to keep customers from fleeing due to the lack of Pay on offer.

I wonder if the stooge that sold the board on the idea that Barclays didn't need Pay got fired.

That was the CEO who left was, 'the stooge', he was fired.

SadBoyPro

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2015
Wonderful. Since the July 14th launch we've been told by Barclays, they had no plans, to 'hey we fired our CEO because of the backlash, imminent support on the way chaps' (To me imminent sounds like a couple days) but no it could be up to 9 months post stating imminent support? I'm really not sure how that works, once more I'm dumfounded how their US counterpart adopted it with open arms. To add insult to injury bPay is viewed by Barclays UK like corned beef or spam in the ration days. It's not the dogs b*******! the sheer audacity of denying customers a free service and giving them an intrusive, tacky, non-secure method in its stead is mind blowing, so if turns out that this whole delay was for bPay to have a chance then aren't they in danger of legal action?

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
Wonderful. Since the July 14th launch we've been told by Barclays, they had no plans, to 'hey we fired our CEO because of the backlash, imminent support on the way chaps' (To me imminent sounds like a couple days) but no it could be up to 9 months post stating imminent support? I'm really not sure how that works, once more I'm dumfounded how their US counterpart adopted it with open arms. To add insult to injury bPay is viewed by Barclays UK like corned beef or spam in the ration days. It's not the dogs b*******! the sheer audacity of denying customers a free service and giving them an intrusive, tacky, non-secure method in its stead is mind blowing, so if turns out that this whole delay was for bPay to have a chance then aren't they in danger of legal action?

Barclays didn't fire their CEO because of ApplePay backlash or anything to do with ApplePay at all.

Also I can't see how they would be liable for any form of legal action. Adopting ApplePay is a choice after all. There is no government mandate

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
Very, very rough calculation: about 15% of eligible Apple Pay users in the US had tried the service as of June. In the UK, the iPhone has about 36% market share. If you assume 36% of Barclays' 12 million current account holders have iPhones, that's about 4.3 million customers. If you assume that 15% of those customers will be interested in trying Apple Pay, that's about 648,000 customers. And that's a very generous estimate, given that the market share figure includes devices that can’t use Apple Pay and people who won’t have bank accounts, e.g. kids. Also, only about 23% of those who’ve tried it before in the US were using it again in June when given the opportunity. Apply that to the hypothetical interested Barclays customers and that’s 149,040 customers, or about 1.2% of their retail customers who might even think about moving because of Apple Pay.

Figures all very rough and plenty of assumptions, but the long and short of it for me is that there was little incentive for Barclays to rush because the number of customers likely to jump ship is pretty minimal in comparison to their overall customer base. Plenty of other pressing things they should be tackling to retain customers, like their consistently lousy customer satisfaction ratings!

Obviously keen Apple Pay users will be over-represented on these forums, but I'm really struggling to believe that more than a few hundred customers, maybe low thousands, would go through the pain of switching accounts and changing bank cards just because Barclays delayed implementation of an embryonic payment system that doesn't do anything fundamentally new (i.e., it does exactly what contactless cards do, but in a more secure and possibly more convenient way).

(That said, once Apple Pay was announced they should have realised that bPay was dead in the water.)

tmiw

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
Obviously keen Apple Pay users will be over-represented on these forums, but I'm really struggling to believe that more than a few hundred customers, maybe low thousands, would go through the pain of switching accounts and changing bank cards just because Barclays delayed implementation of an embryonic payment system that doesn't do anything fundamentally new (i.e., it does exactly what contactless cards do, but in a more secure and possibly more convenient way).

It's a lot easier to switch banks in the UK though, no? I mean sure, there's 10k+ banks and credit unions in the US, but they make it difficult to switch banks for various reasons.

Crusoe

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2014
Dunno about now. Barclays were always notorious for being very difficult to switch from. I remember when I looked into it a couple of years ago. It should be better now with the Current Account Switch Service.

But even if all of the hassle of moving direct debits and standing orders is easy, there's still the admin of sorting out new bank cards, registering new cards with shopping websites, etc. Barclays have many faults and I'm no shill for them, but I need more than a new way to pay contactlessly (is that even a word?) before I'll deal with that headache.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

patjem

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
Barcelona
The tube is the only downside to the Apple Pay world. Basically you have Oyster... which is quick and easy, then you have contactless debt / credit cards which take about half a second more and slows it down going through the gate but recently I've been hearing the Apple Pay using a phone / watch is even slower. The last thing you need on a busy commute through a London tube station is getting held up by holding a phone or watch at the gates. You'd get about 10 people all looking at you and judging you!! :mad:
Thanks For the advice. Will try on a not busy station first :)

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Yeah, some people are weird.

I'm with Barclays but don't mind about waiting for Apple Pay, seeing as I have contactless cards for Debit, Credit & Business with them already.

Maybe they're also using it as an opportunity to switch to an account which offers better incentives.

Last edited:

Recognition

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2013
Hopefully they will let Apple Pay be used with a business account, otherwise i'll be changing banks.
I use contactless everyday in London and on the tube so would be great to have it on my watch and phone.

ConnYoungy

Cancelled
Aug 14, 2010
Barclays just called me because I made an official complaint about Apple Pay and they told me they're currently in a "testing phase" (she claimed HSBC had experienced a lot of errors when it first launched) and that it could be up to 12 months before Barclays launch Apple Pay.

Also people are thinking it's extreme to switch to a different bank because of this - changing banks is ridiculously easy and the banks change all your direct debits etc over for you. It's an easier process with less hassle than switching mobile networks.

g3nw1

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
London
Be careful with the extra bank charges & commissions (may be more than the actual tube ticket) They have a warning on the tube website advising customers to beware of bank charges when using contactless cards from other countries. ok to try it for the hell of it, (it is really cool) but best get a visitor Oyster card for a few days.

I'm going to London in November for WTM, World Travel Market and looking forward to trying Apple Pay with my AW in the Tube!

Last edited:

g3nw1

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2015
London
The tube is the only downside to the Apple Pay world. Basically you have Oyster... which is quick and easy, then you have contactless debt / credit cards which take about half a second more and slows it down going through the gate but recently I've been hearing the Apple Pay using a phone / watch is even slower. The last thing you need on a busy commute through a London tube station is getting held up by holding a phone or watch at the gates. You'd get about 10 people all looking at you and judging you!! :mad:

Never had any issues with people looking at me for using :apple:PAY on the tube. I live in between Marble Arch & Edgware Rd, which are very central and extremely busy stations during the day. use both my :apple:Watch and iPhone 6+ I have never noticed anyone looking at me badly, then again do not pay much attention to other people around me! so maybe there are loads of people that really hate me! so yeah! maybe you have a point!!! :( my guess is people should just remember to double press button on :apple:Watch or double click home button with the correct finger PLACED on the iPhone BEFORE getting to the gate :p

But like all payment systems people are the flaw, i.e. people in Waitrose standing 10min in the queue to use the "FAST" self serve checkout, then only seem to remember to look for their contactless card at the bottom of their bag when they need to pay! THOSE PEOPLE drive me nuts!!! :mad:

danmart

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2015
Lancs, UK
I changed accounts because my current provider didn't support ApplePay, but it was more complex than that. The reality is that, because they didn't support ApplePay, I looked at the banks that did. Any found that their products were better in every way than what I had with my current bank. So I moved.

I look on ApplePay as a bit like a firewall. I only have to log my real credit card details with Apple, and I trust their security more than most. It won't be perfect, but it is better to operate that way than share your card details with every minor website you transact with. I use PayPal too for similar reasons. The contactless aspect is just a fun extra, really. At least for now.

Glyn H

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2015
Scotland
Rather than change my bank acccount, I'm with Smile/Co-op I applied for a credit card from the Nationwide.

I received it within the week and although it wasn't contactless I was able to add it to Pay on my phone with no problems.

mikejobson

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2015
Yeah, some people are weird.

I'm with Barclays but don't mind about waiting for Apple Pay, seeing as I have contactless cards for Debit, Credit & Business with them already.

I don't think I actually would change. I asked many people at Barclays including my Premier account manager and got the same BS back about details coming soon. The thing that annoyed me was the lack of any communication as to whether it would actually come and when. That's why I emailed the CEO and was surprised to get a response. I'll probably stick around and wait for but as someone who has an Apple Watch and iPhone 6 it's incredibly annoying to not be able to use these features yet when Barclays have always been first ones to jump in on the technology bandwagon.

crono87

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2015
London, UK
'Bout time. Was thinking that if I hadn't heard anything in the next few weeks I was going to jump ship. For my banking purposes there's not much difference between any of the standard high street banks.

Barclays has ignored its customers over Apple Pay for months, with vague statements about 'in the future'.
In the mean time it's been pushing any other method to pay except Apple Pay.

I for one am now going to vote with my money and move current accounts out of Barclays to one that offers Apple Pay.

It's a shame to think Barclays used to be a bank that was innovative towards Technology, but recently they seem to have lost it.

Lets hope the morons who decided to stall on Apple Pay get kicked, more likely however is they will be given a nice big bonus while the counter staff get shafted.

That's what I did. I guess there are quite a lot of people that switched for this reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.