Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sebnolan11

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2018
lol. What a shocker. An overpriced speaker that can only do a third more then a regular speaker and 2/3rds less than Google or Amazon can for 5x the price. Who would of thought!

You're such a fan. Do you have stock options in Amazon or Google? Because in all reviews, all tests i've seen, they're not able to do much better than Siri. But because it's Apple....

Tey hired people recently to improve Siri be patient and drop the Amazon Google Apple war : who's better bla bla. They're all crap in a way.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
no doubt with air play 2/stereo pairing sales should increase.

Just need to see more siri improvements with IOS 12

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
no doubt with air play 2/stereo pairing sales should increase.

Just need to see more siri improvements with IOS 12

The problem is not about what Siri can do or not do. It is about a $350 speaker. The sound quality is just "good for such a tiny speaker" but not good compared to other $350 speakers. And you need two of them at $700 for stereo.

For most use cases all you need is a tiny and cheap speaker with some microphones inside. Like Google's $29 product.

If people care about sound quality they will buy real speakers either pair for stereo or a set of 7 or 9 for surround sound.

People who care about sound quality will want their own amplifiers and speakers. What is needed is a simple device that has a set of audio output jacks to connect to an existing system --- that would be the high end product. The low end product would be like Google's and sell at a $30 price point.

Reactions: potentmf

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
The problem is not about what Siri can do or not do. It is about a $350 speaker. The sound quality is just "good for such a tiny speaker" but not good compared to other $350 speakers. And you need two of them at $700 for stereo.

For most use cases all you need is a tiny and cheap speaker with some microphones inside. Like Google's $29 product.

If people care about sound quality they will buy real speakers either pair for stereo or a set of 7 or 9 for surround sound.

People who care about sound quality will want their own amplifiers and speakers. What is needed is a simple device that has a set of audio output jacks to connect to an existing system --- that would be the high end product. The low end product would be like Google's and sell at a $30 price point.

I don’t have a problem that the AirPod doesn’t have an audio input, that’s counter to how Apple intends this device to be used with its 360 sound field. It’s designed primarily for Apples customers within its ecosystem for the best experience, not as a halo product for no Apple customers, which is a mistake in my opinion — but there you go.

If someone wants to attach it to existing audio equipment, and the equipment is not capable of BT or WiFi streaming, then a simple dongle can be purchased to add that capability. In that regard I think Apple did make the right decision.

I do kind of hate the power cord, and wish it had the option of a rechargeable battery. Maybe an inductive pad like the Apple Watch, so that it can easily be moved to the best spot in the room for listening from the charging location.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.