Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DPUser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2012
Rancho Bohemia, California
Foxconn motherboards... have you cleaned any cMPs after they've been sitting still and running for a few years? Avery hole where a screw goes in to attach the board to the case or tray corrodes. Then they're sold on eBay with cheap SSD drives, cheap hard drives and bottom of the barrel GPUs for premium prices. That's what I was talking about.

Maybe your place on planet earth is more corrosive than mine…

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I'm looking at one of these myself. At work we have nice Dell laptops but no Mac - you can bring your own if you want though.

A 2010 Mac Pro looks to fit the bill nicely. Just wondering how well they hold up (power supply and such).

ClassObject

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2010
^^^^The contributions MVC has made to this forum have been immeasurable to many of us here. Can't make the same statement about you.

You have been a member for better than five years, yet have only 270 posts. Not much ro say, except to criticize.

"This Post Sucks" and "This Picture is Stupid" are a couple of your classics.

Lou

How do you know I haven't with other usernames?

Maybe I and others would provide more if it weren't for the biased commercial stuff like this

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
off topics

Can we keep the post in this thread close to the topics at hand please? Thanks for the link to the 2 at ebay. Emailed them but no response. Appears that the norm on ebay is around $800 for the 4.1 dual cpu. Maybe the prices will drop a little more after the Apple event if they announce any new Mac Pro.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Can we keep the post in this thread close to the topics at hand please? Thanks for the link to the 2 at ebay. Emailed them but no response. Appears that the norm on ebay is around $800 for the 4.1 dual cpu. Maybe the prices will drop a little more after the Apple event if they announce any new Mac Pro.

The Dual CPU configurations are really maintaining value. I picked up one of the ones originally posted by MVC in this thread (thanks again by the way, it's running great) and those were CRAZY cheap. Even locally, they're coming down in price for the single socket. I would imagine that they'll continue to fall in price, especially if we ever get another iteration of the nMP.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
The Dual CPU configurations are really maintaining value. I picked up one of the ones originally posted by MVC in this thread (thanks again by the way, it's running great) and those were CRAZY cheap. Even locally, they're coming down in price for the single socket. I would imagine that they'll continue to fall in price, especially if we ever get another iteration of the nMP.

Haha yea that's why the eBay deal that I posted sold fast.to bad jetjaguar didn't jump on it now he's going to be waiting again for a deal to pop up. The only time you get deals like that are when its from the original owner most of the time.

Last edited:

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
Got a 4,1 single CPU model for $550 about 2 weeks ago. In retrospect I wish I had jumped on the $500 bandwagon when it was rolling, but this one came from original owner and was in good shape apart from some dust. After cleaning out the dust, doing the 4,1 to 5,1 firmware update and installing a X5690 and some 1333 ram it is humming right along. I had not anticipated this level of improvement over my 2008. Next stop: new GPU and a PCIe SSD.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013

Here is a Tray for $450. Decent price considering it has all that you need. This is a much better option than buying a tray with x5650's since you can buy x5690's and still come out cheaper. That is if you plan to upgrade a 2009. 2010 trays are more expensive and more rare.

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
too slow

Crap, I was too slow, missed the tray deal. Thanks for the post though Buster.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Crap, I was too slow, missed the tray deal. Thanks for the post though Buster.

Lol keep an eye out I'm sure more will pop up. it's best to set an eBay search that way you get emails on new listings as they pop up. I needed a tray and bought one a few months ago but forgot to remove that search from my email which is how I found it lol

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Is this worth it or just hold up on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321767864588?item=321767864588&autorefresh=true

From the look of things it will cost $500~ for a single 4,1 and another $450-500 to convert it to dual. It is around the price of getting the entire dual cpu for $1000. Seems like alot of people are catching on this 12 core upgrade and are charging higher than normal prices for the dual cpu 4,1.

Last edited:

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
Is this worth it or just hold up on it?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321767864588?item=321767864588&autorefresh=true

From the look of things it will cost $500~ for a single 4,1 and another $450-500 to convert it to dual. It is around the price of getting the entire dual cpu for $1000. Seems like alot of people are catching on this 12 core upgrade and are charging higher than normal prices for the dual cpu 4,1.

Oh I thought you had a 4,1 single core already. Yeah the upgrading is why the prices stay high. Last week an 8 vote sold for $800. Just keep an eye out and you save a few hundred. It's not worth 1k in my opinion unless it's in mint condition. Just set up some eBay searches and you'll catch one for $800 or less in a month or two. If you want one asap then it'll cost you. Also try the bidding route. I've seen these sell for $700 with no reserve back on January. I havnt looked up sold prices since though, but in the tech world prices fall not rise. So hold out, FYI buyers control the market not the sellers. So as long as no one pays they lower their prices.

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
I am suspecting people are hoarding all the dual cpu 4,1 and upgrading to 12 core for a profit. Kinda like flipping 4,1 to 5,1 for couple of $100's. I'm in no rush, I'll just wait it out till the price comes down to a more realisitc value.

Last edited:

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013
I am suspecting people are hoarding all the dual cpu 4,1 and upgrading to 12 core for a profit. Kinda like flipping 4,1 to 5,1 for couple of $100's. I'm in no rush, I'll just wait it out till the price comes down to a more realisitc value.

Exactly. Take a look at all the sold listings over the last few months. Deals are out there, you just have to wait.

I bet a lot of them are being hoarded up by those upgrading and selling like you mentioned. The key is to wait for a good buy it now, or snipe some auctions.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro..._salic=1&_sop=15&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&LH_Complete=1

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Man I wish I knew of this earlier and jump on this. Guess I'll have to sit back and wait.

AmanO

macrumors regular

That is probably going to be what happens to my dual CPU 4,1. I will top it out with CPUs and see how it runs compared to my 4,1 6 core. I fear that what I will use it for will not benefit that much from the extra cores.

bplein

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2007
Austin, TX USA
These make GREAT VMware ESXi servers for home labs, given that they are very quiet, in single socket with 6-cores or dual socket. I have a 2009 single socket I upgraded to single hexacore, and it's great. If I could find another one cheap, single or dual socket, I'll hop on it for use as a second ESXi server.

buster84

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2013

Looks like I found someone who scooped up a lot of them and their reselling them. I hope no one buys them (although it looks like he already found one fool to buy it) and people learn that it's better and nearly $1000 cheaper to do it themselves. Smh at the people who buy them. The only models that shoud sell for up words of 2k should only be original unmodified 2010+ apple 12 core models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419650be66

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
Looks like I found someone who scooped up a lot of them and their reselling them. I hope no one buys them (although it looks like he already found one fool to buy it) and people learn that it's better and nearly $1000 cheaper to do it themselves. Smh at the people who buy them. The only models that shoud sell for up words of 2k should only be original unmodified 2010+ apple 12 core models.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...262?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item419650be66

Wow that is some markup pricing. Hopefully there are some good new on Monday from Apple that will bring the price down.

Last edited:

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA

I have no affiliation or knowledge or connection with this person, but I would say that LA is still floating in Mac Pros. So it is also possible that this guy got them off of a Post House that switched to Dell or HP machines.

In a vote of confidence in the cMP, I have been asked to consult on the upgrade of 100+ cMP at a very well known post house. Can't drop the name, as much as i'd like to, but nice to know that not everyone drank the Kool Aid.

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
I have no affiliation or knowledge or connection with this person, but I would say that LA is still floating in Mac Pros. So it is also possible that this guy got them off of a Post House that switched to Dell or HP machines.

In a vote of confidence in the cMP, I have been asked to consult on the upgrade of 100+ cMP at a very well known post house. Can't drop the name, as much as i'd like to, but nice to know that not everyone drank the Kool Aid.

So I should start to see some more 4,1 flood the market? Can't wait to get my hands on one. On another note what do you guys thinks of this deal. Someone selling a 4,1 single cpu for $424 and I found a fully upgraded 12 core dual cpu tray for $800. So total of $1200 for a 12 core 4,1 2.66ghz.

revlimit

macrumors member
Nov 13, 2011
So I should start to see some more 4,1 flood the market? Can't wait to get my hands on one. On another note what do you guys thinks of this deal. Someone selling a 4,1 single cpu for $424 and I found a fully upgraded 12 core dual cpu tray for $800. So total of $1200 for a 12 core 4,1 2.66ghz.
Just snagged a 4,1 from Ebay for $400. Now time to look for a good deal on dual cpu tray.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.