Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

130126-barnes_noble.jpg

Barnes & Noble today officially acknowledged that it is developing an iPad-specific application that will provide access to content available in the company's eBookstore.
Designed specifically for the iPad, our new B&N eReader will give our customers access to more than one million eBooks, magazines and newspapers in the Barnes & Noble eBookstore, as well as the existing content in their Barnes & Noble digital library. (That includes eBooks and content customers have downloaded to their nook eBook reader.)
The news should not come as a tremendous surprise, as the company already offers a B&N eReader application for the iPhone and iPod touch. Unlike the existing iPhone application, however, Barnes & Noble's eBookstore will offer direct competition with Apple's iBookstore planned for the iPad.

Barnes & Noble's eBookstore allows users to purchase electronic book material and store it online in their "eBook Library". Users who wish to view content on-the-go can download it to their portable devices and view it using the company's eReader applications for a number of different platforms.

Article Link: Barnes & Noble Officially Acknowledges Plans for iPad eReader Application

TheCheapGeek

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2008
This is very good news to hear, I hope apple plays nice with Amazon and B and N allowing them to have their apps on the phone. I wonder, since the iBooks app will use ePub format books, can you load your own ePub content into to iBook reader? I have my doubts but it would be nice extra feature. Anyone think apple will block these applications?

BrianMojo

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2006
Boston, MA
Anyone think apple will block these applications?

I think that's very likely. Considering how hard-lined Apple has been about other browsers on the iPhone, I can't see them allowing competition to one of the core features (and potentially new revenue stream) of their new device.

JGowan

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Mineola TX
Maybe I'm not understanding this, but it seems to me that unless you buy from Apple's iBookstore, you don't get the really awesome reading experience that Steve demo'd at the iPad Introduction with Ted Kennedy's book.

Will Barnes & Noble's books be read with their own proprietary eReading software or will it somehow work with Apple's? If it doesn't, I will NEVER buy books from anything else other than Apple's. Their whole presentation is better than any other software I've seen. "CLASSICS" was #1 until Apple made their stuff look like it was designed by amateurs.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.
Hope Apple allows the application. The question I have is if they don't is that antitrust, since their application is not built-in but an application...

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
This is good news... Does the iPhone app support the lending feature of B&N's ebooks? Also, I think there was some talk about the Nook having a library lending feature so you could borrow ebooks from the library with it?

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
If Apple were to block the Kindle application on the iPad, they would discourage people who have a big Kindle library from upgrading to the pad. Apple is betting kindelers who get the iPad will stop buying from Amazon and start buying from Apple.

I have a very large library of Kindle books. I am glad I will get to keep them on my new device. My only fear is that Amazon will not provide a Kindle app or they will slow it down. If I were Kindle, I would intentionally include lots of features I knew would not be approved. Then I would blame Apple for the delay.

Why develop their own ebook app? Why not just sell their ebooks through the iBookstore? :confused:

Apple, B/N and Amazon do not write or publish books. They sell books that others write. If they were to sell through another companies book store, they would just be adding another layer of overhead.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
I think that's very likely. Considering how hard-lined Apple has been about other browsers on the iPhone, I can't see them allowing competition to one of the core features (and potentially new revenue stream) of their new device.

I don't think so. First, iBookstore isn't a built in app, which is what they are blocking competition too. Second, Apple is in the business of selling hardware; they are turning only modest profits on content sales. If they are selling a good ereader that works with their bookstore, Amazon's, and B&N, they will sell the iPad to dedicated readers (eInk screens notwithstanding).

djellison

macrumors 68020
Feb 2, 2007
Pasadena CA
Maybe I'm not understanding this, but it seems to me that unless you buy from Apple's iBookstore, you don't get the really awesome reading experience that Steve demo'd at the iPad Introduction with Ted Kennedy's book.

Anyone could make an e-reading app just as good as the official iPad one. It's not hard.

HOWEVER

Will Apple let B&N not only have a book store for iPad, but a book reading app? Apple wont even let someone release a damn browser for iPhone as it supposedly duplicated existing capabilities or some such crap like that. I don't imagine, for one second, they'll let B&N do this.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
I don't think so. First, iBookstore isn't a built in app, which is what they are blocking competition too. Second, Apple is in the business of selling hardware; they are turning only modest profits on content sales. If they are selling a good ereader that works with their bookstore, Amazon's, and B&N, they will sell the iPad to dedicated readers (eInk screens notwithstanding).

Might also remember that big portions of Safari is tied into the Mac OS X operating system. That might have an effect with respect to iPhone, which is a subset of OS X.

When it comes to eReaders and iBookstore, I don't think there'll be quite as many constraints.

gwangung

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2003
Anyone could make an e-reading app just as good as the official iPad one. It's not hard.

HOWEVER

Will Apple let B&N not only have a book store for iPad, but a book reading app? Apple wont even let someone release a damn browser for iPhone as it supposedly duplicated existing capabilities or some such crap like that. I don't imagine, for one second, they'll let B&N do this.

Don't they already allow this on the iPhone?

spazzcat

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2007

HOWEVER

Apple does not allow your app to execute external code. The problem with browsers is they can run things like javascript.

SteveSparks

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
St. Louis, MO.

What might happen is that book purchases are done outside the e-reader app provided by the bookseller. Which is ok with me.

The idea of Apple, Amazon and BAN on the iPad is amazing. It might kill off the Nook and Kindle but the library will be very nice and promote lower book prices.

xIGmanIx

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
this has the potential to be blocked since apples ever shifting acceptance criteria. This site has gone from macrumors to iphone rumors now to ipad rumors.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
The Kindle reader is really plain compared to the iPad reader. If I see the content is better on the iPad, I'll only purchase iPad books. iPad does e-books correctly.

I wonder if the Barnes and Noble books are like the Amazon Kindle books or more comparable to what Apple is offering.

devwild

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2004

Speaking as someone with ebook experience on many devices, form factors, and software, apple's ibook software, while flashy, showed no signs of actually being a better reading experience. In fact, if it doesn't allow you to remove the fancy and useless borders, adjust color, font style, line spacing, paragraph handling, etc for personally comfortable reading and low eye strain, it will be notably worse than many readers on the market including ereader and stanza.

Pretty presentation does not necessarily make an enjoyable ereading experience.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.