Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babyexercise

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2021
The critics should be ashamed of themselves for constantly trying to stir up drama where none existed in the first place. The supposed “issues” with overheating and slower SSDs are just that - drama. The M2 MBA is faster and users will not notice the slower storage in normal everyday usage.

Honestly M1 is already so fast, even M2 is controlled to slower than M1 to save energy for better battery life then no one can notice in real life lol xd

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Well this is interesting. Max tech added some thermal pads.

Since MaxTech tends to be someone sensationalistic, it would be nice to see independent testing of this mod. But assuming it actually performs as shown, maybe the reason Apple didn't do this is because it creates a direct thermal connection between the chip and the bottom of the case at that spot, leading to a hotspot whose temperatures are too high. I scanned through the video quickly, so I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere he did a thermal measurement of the case exterior after installing the mod.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Note that a dependence of SSD speed on SSD size (which, IIUC, really means number of modules) is not unique to the Air and 13" MBP. It's also seen in the 14"/16" MBPs, where SSD speed progressively increases with storage size up to 4 TB. And we also saw this on my 2014 MBP, where only the largest SSD (1 TB) got 4-lane PCIe; all others had 2-lane PCIe.

So the fundamental issue isn't that different storage size gets you different SSD speeds. It's that the SSD speed was reduced for the same SSD size, in a newer and more expensive machine, because of the change from 2 modules to 1.
Why do so few people get this. Of course a higher end part will be better. But they put an inferior part into a newer version of the base model of the same line. And I absolutely would not put it past them doing it on purpose to "force" people to upgrade

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
And I absolutely would not put it past them doing it on purpose to "force" people to upgrade
Your conspiracy theory conflicts with the other conspiracy theory though from people saying they snuck this into the computer figuring nobody would know they did it.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I don’t think it’s about defending it, it’s understanding that no amount of whining on a forum is going to change it.

Then a more proper response is to make that clear ... or say nothing..

Not carry water for Apple and say things like "it's the base model, what do you expect!"

(when it's a major regression from its immediate predecessor)

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I don’t think it’s about defending it, it’s understanding that no amount of whining on a forum is going to change it.
I agree people need to vote with their wallets instead of complaining and clicking add to cart in the same second. And don't upgrade like they want you to. Buy nothing.

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
Since MaxTech tends to be someone sensationalistic, it would be nice to see independent testing of this mod. But assuming it actually performs as shown, maybe the reason Apple didn't do this is because it creates a direct thermal connection between the chip and the bottom of the case at that spot, leading to a hotspot whose temperatures are too high. I scanned through the video quickly, so I may have missed it, but I didn't see anywhere he did a thermal measurement of the case exterior after installing the mod.
He did. Ended up being same as temp scanner measurement when aimed at the keyboard, 47c.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
He did. Ended up being same as temp scanner measurement when aimed at the keyboard, 47c.
As I mentioned in my post, I was wondering if his thermal solution might create an uncomfortable hot spot on the bottom of the case (where it's resting on people's laps). And I don't recall him doing a before-and-after thermal scan of the bottom.

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
As I mentioned in my post, I was wondering if his thermal solution might create an uncomfortable hot spot in the bottom of the case. I don't recall him doing a before-and-after thermal scan of the bottom.
He mentioned that he thought 50C was a legal limit, so I’d imagine 47C might feel a tad warm.

AndyMacAndMic

macrumors 65816
May 25, 2017
Western Europe
Again, that's for the keyboard. He applied the thermal tape at the bottom, so the 47C measurement isn't germane here.
Another YouTuber doing the same. He measures the bottom with 2 configurations.
- One configuration with a smaller pad only over the cpu area. This measures around 52C on the bottom (toasty).
- One configuration with the whole cooling area covered. This measures around 46C - 47C on the bottom (warm but not toasty).

Last edited:

86Hawkeye

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2016
Chicago, IL
Another YouTuber doing the same. He measures the bottom with 2 configurations.
- One configuration with a smaller pad only over the cpu area. This measures around 52C on the bottom (toasty).
- One configuration with the whole cooling area covered. This measures around 46C - 47C on the bottom (warm but not toasty).

47C is what Max Tech measured on the outside bottom of the machine as well.

theorist9

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
One thing that gets lost in this 256 GB vs 512 GB debate is the performance degradation that can occur when SSDs are close to being filled. I recall Anand Shimpli recommended keeping SSD's at <=75% fill. Others quote similar numbers. So the more important performance difference between a 256 GB vs. 512 GB Air SSD may not be the difference when empty, but the difference between running a nearly-full 256 GB SSD vs. a 512 GB SSD with significant free space.

More generally: A lot of students, and others on budgets, buy the base 256 GB model of the Air (their most popular laptop) or Mini. And thus, in real-world use, those are probably going to be ~>75% filled. Given this, I'm thinking that, when reviewers test the base Air and Mini (and other base models, like the 512 GB M1 Pro), they should examine what happens when their SSDs are at 80% fill. That would give their findings a closer correspondence to real-world usage.

ZD_plguy17

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2019
One thing that gets lost in this 256 GB vs 512 GB debate is the performance degradation that can occur when SSDs are close to being filled. I recall Anand Shimpli recommended keeping SSD's at <=75% fill. Others quote similar numbers. So the more important performance difference between a 256 GB vs. 512 GB Air SSD may not be the difference when empty, but the difference between running a nearly-full 256 GB SSD vs. a 512 GB SSD with significant free space.

More generally: A lot of students, and others on budgets, buy the base 256 GB model of the Air (their most popular laptop) or Mini. And thus, in real-world use, those are probably going to be ~>75% filled. Given this, I'm thinking that, when reviewers test the base Air and Mini (and other base models, like the 512 GB M1 Pro), they should examine what happens when their SSDs are at 80% fill. That would give their findings a closer correspondence to real-world usage.
Not surprising. There was this guy from Unbox therapy who tested iphones with different storage configurations and demonstrated how much faster iphone booted with an upgraded storage compared to 64gb. I am not hardcore photographer or vlogger but with 256 GB I easily filled half of the storage. That was when iphone 11/11 pro was released and base was only 64gb which made upgrade decision much easier.
I imagine findings would be similar with Mac.

• Wow
Reactions: addamas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.